Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 08:36 AM

29,535 posts, read 19,626,354 times

Advertisements

Lower temperatures for Europe later April

Quote:
To conclude, taking everything into account, after the present well above normal temperatures under high pressure moving from the British Isles to SE Europe, there is a high risk of temperatures lowering to normal across Europe to slightly below normal in the west through the later part of April and into early May, possibly more below normal according to the CFS version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 08:39 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
In other words, it'll be nice and cool in late April and early May and then it'll be high pressure city by the time I get there.

Oh well, I'll be packing my shorts...LOL. And hopefully it'll be a *little* cooler than here (we'll prolly be in the 90's by then...lol.)

Old 04-08-2015, 08:54 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post

Yes, but even further below average for us in eastern North America. What else is new. I guess May will be well below average here with that warm water in the NE Pacific getting even warmer.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:14 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I've got a trip to Paris booked for 19-26 May, and yes, I'm quite excited.

I do have a few concerns about the weather, though. I've been checking the current forecasts, and it's showing highs of 20-21 C, with lows above 10 C, which is what I expected for when I'll be there, based on historical averages.

Realistically, what can I expect in terms of weather when I'm there in the later part of May? Do I need to be concerned about nasty heat and 100% sunny days for the whole week, or would it be realistic to expect at least some "average" weather of 20 C? (Which I consider perfect for being out and about, especially with a breeze.) What's the worse I could expect in terms of heat at that time of the year? Is 30 C common in late May? (too hot, I hope I don't see that.) What's the best I can hope for on the cool, cloudy side? 15 C days with heavy overcast and perhaps a bit of rain? (That would be ideal too - I'd not have to wear shorts...lol.)

At least I didn't make the mistake of planning the trip for June, or god forbid, July or August...lol.
We have a Parisian on board, so he might give a better answer, but I'm quite familiar with the climate. May is the season when the diurnal ranges are the highest. So be prepared for some warm days and crispy nights. Definitely keep your jacket at hand if you're staying out for the whole evening, lows around 5C are not unheard of! As in May the Mediterranean and Northern Africa is just starting to heat up, the chance of an oppressive heatwave is almost zero - last year the highest temp in May at Paris-Montsouris was just 26.1C! The weather is variable, so it might be cool and rainy one day, and sunny and warm the next.

Despite the variable weather and new weather systems bursting in from the Atlantic, I think it's safe to say that you don't have to take any special precautions, if you're expecting hurricanes, torrential rain, heatwaves, frosty nights - no. Won't happen.
And oh, leave your shorts at home, they will shout "tourist". Use long pants even if it's 100C. Parisians don't wear shorts, they're for hillbillies.

Last edited by Ariete; 04-08-2015 at 09:23 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 09:18 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I've got a trip to Paris booked for 19-26 May, and yes, I'm quite excited.

I do have a few concerns about the weather, though. I've been checking the current forecasts, and it's showing highs of 20-21 C, with lows above 10 C, which is what I expected for when I'll be there, based on historical averages.
I know you said May but here's next 16 days per latest GFS6z. We all know anything past 10 days can change a lot so don't put too much thought into forecasts especially 6 weeks away.

Feel free to ask me for the data again beginning/mid May

These temp projections kinda looks similar to here actually.

Actually more cooler here. Nevermind

Old 04-08-2015, 09:23 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,805,277 times
19.3C in kristianstad today - highest temperature in sweden this year.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:41 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,805,277 times
523cm of snow on zugspitze. the most i've seen there. has snowed quite much there recently...
some statistics on snow depth there would be appreciated.

Synop report summary

Old 04-08-2015, 10:27 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
We have a Parisian on board, so he might give a better answer, but I'm quite familiar with the climate. May is the season when the diurnal ranges are the highest. So be prepared for some warm days and crispy nights. Definitely keep your jacket at hand if you're staying out for the whole evening, lows around 5C are not unheard of! As in May the Mediterranean and Northern Africa is just starting to heat up, the chance of an oppressive heatwave is almost zero - last year the highest temp in May at Paris-Montsouris was just 26.1C! The weather is variable, so it might be cool and rainy one day, and sunny and warm the next.

Despite the variable weather and new weather systems bursting in from the Atlantic, I think it's safe to say that you don't have to take any special precautions, if you're expecting hurricanes, torrential rain, heatwaves, frosty nights - no. Won't happen.
And oh, leave your shorts at home, they will shout "tourist". Use long pants even if it's 100C. Parisians don't wear shorts, they're for hillbillies.
Good to hear - this makes me feel a bit better. I especially like the big diurnal ranges - I love sleeping in cool weather. I also like the prospect of changeable weather - we'll use the rainy days for things like the Louvre, and the sunny days for the Eiffel Tower, etc. Good to know that I won't have to worry about 30 C weather - 26 C I can handle, but no more than that...lol.

Unfortunately, shorts are a necessity for me at temps above 20 C, especially if it's sunny and not breezy, since I sweat much too easily, especially when I'm doing a lot of walking. I guess I need to plead with the weather gods for a cool, cloudy week while I'm there if I don't want to stand out too much...lol.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:46 AM

29,535 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes, but even further below average for us in eastern North America. What else is new. I guess May will be well below average here with that warm water in the NE Pacific getting even warmer.
You can take the longer range CFSv2 with a grain of salt, but at least it's not showing negative anomalies for my region, with basically average to above average conditions from now through August..... We shall see

Old 04-08-2015, 10:59 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan123 View Post
523cm of snow on zugspitze. the most i've seen there. has snowed quite much there recently...
some statistics on snow depth there would be appreciated.

Synop report summary
Highest snow depth there since 2002.

The highest value ever was 780 cm in April 1980.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather