Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 11:25 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Good sir, I would like to remind ye that Turku hasn't hit even 15C so far this year. I think we deserve warm summers in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2024, 2025, 2027, 2028, 2029 and 2030. You can have 2023 and 2026.
You get decent sunny summers for your latitude, I remember the last couple of years Scandinavia seems to have had a good time during summer..

It is a shame that your shoulder seasons are too cold, though. It takes a while to warm up and it cools down way too fast in September
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 11:26 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Good sir, I would like to remind ye that Turku hasn't hit even 15C so far this year. I think we deserve warm summers in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2024, 2025, 2027, 2028, 2029 and 2030. You can have 2023 and 2026.
Yeah, and in July, you'll probably get 50 days of 25C+ temps with 21C lows and thunderstorms, so you can't complain. I'd take your situation any day.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
It is a shame that your shoulder seasons are too cold, though. It takes a while to warm up and it cools down way too fast in September
Luckily we have got only 2 below average Septembers this millennium. 7 have been warmer than average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah, and in July, you'll probably get 50 days of 25C+ temps with 21C lows and thunderstorms, so you can't complain. I'd take your situation any day.
Fair enough.

50 is a stretch. We had 40 last year.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:21 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
And eastern part of US will have an even cooler summer. Difference is our summer forecast will verify, while they will remain above average like they have for months on end. Everytime I see foreboding cold forecast for Europe or the western US, it totally fizzles out and fades. Not in the east.

The warm blob in the Pacific will remain and pushes a ridge over the west, a deep ridge in the east, then a ridge over Western Europe. Bermuda high died two years ago and won't be seen for years.

Been that way for a while now. Broken record. Not gonna change.
WOW! I don't think I been on this forum long enough to know but I don't remember you being a pessimist on warm weather pattern. Always seemed like you sniffed out the warmer days coming but now its like you gave up and just wanna head south. lol

Anything can happen! We know that. This summer can be torching hot for us. Or we're making up for lost ground with all those above normal months we had couple years ago.

======================

500mb projection for 7pm tonight.

Model Guidance Guidance&model=nam&area=namer&cycle=20150420%2012% 20UTC&param=500_vort_ht&fourpan=no&imageSize=M&ps= model

I like to call Upper Level Lows bowling Balls. Cause that's what they act like. They drop and bulldoze their way and curl around into New England and Canada most of time.

Interesting thing is that atmospheric pop north in Eastern Canada. That might shift to Greenland. So basically the Upper low has no where to go. Its blocked! So it's gonna sit and spin over New England until the atmosphere loosens up to our East.

So this cold pool of air at 20,000 feet is just sitting, spinning right over New England with a NorthWest flow.

This is called an amplified pattern. When you can see the peaks of ridges and bottoms of troughs digging and peaking far south and north. Spring-Summer it's more flatter. Fall-Winter is when things normally get amplified.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:30 PM

Still raining. 1.90" now in last 8hrs. Grass vivid Green and lush I noticed more buds popping out and Onion and Fava seeds sprouting outside.

====================

Paul Pastelok discusses whats coming. Severe weather shifts south because of the ULL.

Snow pack "increases" in Canada and will feel like Winter.

We do get a break but, maybe another ULL coming in after May 4th?

No consistent Spring pattern yet for the Northeast.

NAO was positive for months now dives negative and blocking just slowing things down now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dIJEPU6mBo&feature=youtu.be

Old 04-20-2015, 01:33 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Still raining. 1.90" now in last 8hrs. Grass vivid Green and lush I noticed more buds popping out and Onion and Fava seeds sprouting outside.

====================

Paul Pastelok discusses whats coming. Severe weather shifts south because of the ULL.

Snow pack "increases" in Canada and will feel like Winter.

We do get a break but, maybe another ULL coming in after May 4th?

No consistent Spring pattern yet for the Northeast.
Any hope of keeping summer at bay down here in GA for a few more weeks?

Old 04-20-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Any hope of keeping summer at bay down here in GA for a few more weeks?
I don't see extreme heat going forward next 10 days for GA. Mostly 70s. Coldest night will be Friday or Monday and the new Euro shows 30s for northern GA on the 30th because it decided to forget the warmup and says another ULL comes into the Northeast with snow down to TN mountains.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:47 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
WOW! I don't think I been on this forum long enough to know but I don't remember you being a pessimist on warm weather pattern. Always seemed like you sniffed out the warmer days coming but now its like you gave up and just wanna head south. lol

Anything can happen! We know that. This summer can be torching hot for us. Or we're making up for lost ground with all those above normal months we had couple years ago.

======================

500mb projection for 7pm tonight.

Model Guidance Guidance&model=nam&area=namer&cycle=20150420%2012% 20UTC&param=500_vort_ht&fourpan=no&imageSize=M&ps= model

I like to call Upper Level Lows bowling Balls. Cause that's what they act like. They drop and bulldoze their way and curl around into New England and Canada most of time.

Interesting thing is that atmospheric pop north in Eastern Canada. That might shift to Greenland. So basically the Upper low has no where to go. Its blocked! So it's gonna sit and spin over New England until the atmosphere loosens up to our East.

So this cold pool of air at 20,000 feet is just sitting, spinning right over New England with a NorthWest flow.

This is called an amplified pattern. When you can see the peaks of ridges and bottoms of troughs digging and peaking far south and north. Spring-Summer it's more flatter. Fall-Winter is when things normally get amplified.
It looks like a winter pattern ffs.

I gave up because the warm blob in the Pacific is just never going to go away. I've been reading up on it and it is either unprecedented, or a long term cycle we haven't seen since the late 1800's or something. Just wait till next winter. Joe Bastardi has already called it as very cold in the east again. CA better get ready for years and years of very little winter rains. Philadelphia will become like Toronto.

So yeah, I gave up. Just two years in a row of this has beat me down. I cannot remember what sustained above average or even sustained average temps are like. Everytime I scroll thru the models on their 16 day forecast all you see is a ridge out west, and a trough in the east for months now. Why would it change? And even if it does, it will just return in October or September.

And the other thing you notice when you do the global view is how far south the jet dips over the US compared to the rest of the globe. It always seems to dip much lower over the eastern US than everywhere else. I mean on a more regular basis than elsewhere. It does go lower elsewhere, but not with the regularity it does in the eastern US. I see puple anomalies much more often over the eastern US than the entire globe lol. Just the unstable nature of our climate.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:52 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
Quote:
CA better get ready for years and years of very little winter rains.
But winter is when they get all their rain. If this pattern is here to stay, the whole state might as well be deemed uninhabitable.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:01 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
It looks like a winter pattern ffs.

I gave up because the warm blob in the Pacific is just never going to go away. I've been reading up on it and it is either unprecedented, or a long term cycle we haven't seen since the late 1800's or something. Just wait till next winter. Joe Bastardi has already called it as very cold in the east again. CA better get ready for years and years of very little winter rains. Philadelphia will become like Toronto.

So yeah, I gave up. Just two years in a row of this has beat me down. I cannot remember what sustained above average or even sustained average temps are like. Everytime I scroll thru the models on their 16 day forecast all you see is a ridge out west, and a trough in the east for months now. Why would it change? And even if it does, it will just return in October or September.

And the other thing you notice when you do the global view is how far south the jet dips over the US compared to the rest of the globe. It always seems to dip much lower over the eastern US than everywhere else. I mean on a more regular basis than elsewhere. It does go lower elsewhere, but not with the regularity it does in the eastern US. I see puple anomalies much more often over the eastern US than the entire globe lol. Just the unstable nature of our climate.
If you look at the global temperature anomalies for the past year, the eastern US is one of the few blue spots on the map - just the way I like it.

But seriously, has it been that cold this spring in the eastern US? Sure, March was a bit on the cool side, and we've had a few chilly April days in the NE, but nothing outstanding, IMO. I can remember a high of 39 degrees on the 7th of May in the Piedmont of North Carolina in 1989 - I would say that's a bit on the chilly side...lol. And we had that ugly freeze around April 10th down here in 2007 - nothing close to that this year. The snow pack lingered a bit later than normal in the NE, but I didn't think it was outside the range of typical variance for the climate of that region.

But yeah, if B-man is right about next winter, I say bring it on - maybe we'll get to see a historical blizzard for once down here - we're way, WAY overdue for one. Bring it man, bring it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather