Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 09:49 AM

12,623 posts, read 14,044,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Highly unlikely that we will have 3 cool summers in a row. In fact, JB tweeted a while back, that he expects the Midwest to have a hot summer in 2015

As for the upcoming cold spell.... It's still 10 days away

Eastern Warm-Up will be Brief - Canadian Weather Blog Weather Blog

Mild spell to be short-lived; cold returns by end of month | Chicago Weather Center: Skilling's Forecast and Chicago Severe Weather Alerts

George, when on earth did Chicago have a January average of -6F? The anomaly seems incredible given your avg Jan temp is around 23F isn't it? That is a monthly anomaly of 30F? Am I reading that right?

Anyway, I was only kidding about this summer for Chicago. I hope you get the heat you want, as long as Philadelphia has just a plain old average summer. I don't like hot summers with those dastardly southwest winds. I like northwest winds in winter better than I like southwest winds in summer. I prefer east winds in summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 09:49 AM

29,590 posts, read 19,823,381 times
^^

I think you are reading the graphic wrong. Those are the average absolute maximum and minimum temps for January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
The true merit of a summer is in the dewpoints, and nothing has even come close to 2011 here. I don't think there's any way to predict that long-range.
While true, way too long range to be accurate, but I think he stated that his projection is based on SST analogs for weak El Nino years. We shall see.

I looked back to see when was the last time we had 3 poor summers in a row. It was 1992, 93', and 94'.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:02 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,521,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
While true, way too long range to be accurate, but I think he stated that his projection is based on SST analogs for weak El Nino years. We shall see.

I looked back to see when was the last time we had 3 poor summers in a row. It was 1992, 93', and 94'.

I meant predicting humidity. July '11 was legendary in Lexington, 80F dewpoint on more than one occasion.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:03 AM

83,736 posts, read 76,346,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I don't like hot summers with those dastardly southwest winds. I like northwest winds in winter better than I like southwest winds in summer. I prefer east winds in summer.
I'm ready for spring. I remembered I'd rather have snow with a cold winter. Not this dry bare ground crap. Kinda got spoiled past few years and forgot what it was like. Especially getting rains on frozen grounds. Whats the point of cold. So bring on Spring. I wanna be in the garden in shorts and short sleeves. (sounds like depression kicking in already, lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just another beautiful spring day here. No storms, no bugs, no mugginess.

Dry, 70, blue skies with some clouds, and a breeze. Bottle it up!
Quote:
This is what spring should be like. Someone write this down.

71F with dewpoints in the 30s! Mine dropped a bit. Man this weather is perfect for Spring. Way too many times our dewpoints are muggy above 50F and unenjoyable. Occasional Wind is around too. Wish there were more clouds around but I'll take warm sunny dry days over warm cloudy muggy days.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:05 AM

12,623 posts, read 14,044,255 times
Quote:
I'm ready for spring. I remembered I'd rather have snow with a cold winter. Not this dry bare ground crap. Kinda got spoiled past few years and forgot what it was like. Especially getting rains on frozen grounds. Whats the point of cold. So bring on Spring. I wanna be in the garden in shorts and short sleeves. (sounds like depression kicking in already, lol)

I'm not ready for summer yet. I like to enjoy something out of each season. We haven't had an ice storm in a long time. I remember reading somewhere that we were expected to get a few ice storms this winter. Nothing so far. That would be interesting, except of course I would hope no one got killed or it caused severe damage. If I can't have that then maybe at least one decent snowstorm for good skiing or a day off.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:07 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,685,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_taborda View Post
Another mild day, only northern Portugal,northern England, Ireland and Scotland seem to be below average
All of the UK is below average on that map.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:28 AM

83,736 posts, read 76,346,241 times
BDL reporting Light snow from Streamers off the Lakes. Rare they reach the coast but do happen and with the winds strong enough lets see if they get enough push while keeping enough moisture in them.

NW NJ getting some snow

Wind gusts over 30mph here. Binghamton reporting 1/2 mile visibility with snow with strong winds and feels like 1F!.

A look at the wind gust reports and whos reporting snow.

From NH What the Lake Effect Streamer looks like from NH right now.

"This snow squall has a shelf cloud!! "

https://twitter.com/WeatherNut27/sta...239424/photo/1

Old 01-16-2015, 02:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,879,018 times
Jumped from 15°F to 29°F in one hour this morning, while switching from clear to mostly cloudy. Later a few light flurries. Much more comfortable today with mid 20s to low 30s. I can tolerate this, the garbage last week I holed myself inside. Wind peaked at 30 mph at 3 pm.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,879,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
13°F at 9 am here, 26°F in Boston. Boston was getting some freezing rain. Mt. Washington is 19°F. Low of 14°F, with a wind of 15 mph, tolerable weather for winter mountain standards. You can see the temperature inversion:
What's going on Mt. Washington? It's now -16°F on the summit, even though it's warmer now here than it has been in days. Berlin, NH is 10°F now 27°F at 10 am, much colder air from the north is blasting in that hasn't quite reached us. Getting there, our high was 35°F in the early afternoon now 26°F. Compared to the previous map I posted (click on the quote), the valleys are the same (7°F) but this time it gets much colder with elevation, while yesterday morning there was a temperature inversion. Interestingly tomorrow's high is supposed to be close to normal on the summit (12°F) but very windy while the valley is forecast to be much colder than usual (9°F). So an inversion.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:48 PM

3,616 posts, read 2,723,088 times
Last night a new round of winter ligtning over Southern Norway. Not too unusual at the coast even in the north, but last night even inland in the Oslo region, and winter lightning inland is rare.
As the clouds are lower in the winter, the lightning often is more powerful than in summer.
Torden også på Østlandet - Yr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather