Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:10 PM

83,553 posts, read 75,444,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Kids have been sent home from school - it was supposed to be worse to the south of us, but there is a heavy band setting up right over Atlanta. We are being predicted to get 1.5-2 inches by tomorrow morning, and the news just reported we have a half an inch right now. Most roads look to be clear, but the snow is melting and turning to ice. This is causing RIDICULOUS traffic on all highways in and around Atlanta, and lots of accidents starting to be reported. Bridges are icing up. Here is the current traffic map, and some photos I took around my neighborhood about 20 minutes ago.
Good. Stay safe. Yeah, I see that band.. looks like the gradient setup is a bit north so Atlanta got in on the heavier precip while cold air was locked in..Keep us in tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 12:11 PM

South Florida blinded by the sun in the 80s while parts of Mississippi, Alabama, & Georgia are blinded by the snow in the 20s. Amazing to see where that front stopped!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:17 PM

De-icing the planes in Atlanta.

Houston Texas reporting snow too..
From Jim Cantore.

"Wow ! HCTRA is reporting snow falling at the Toll bridge over the Houston Ship Channel via @NWSHouston"

Old 01-28-2014, 12:20 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,897,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Atlanta becoming standstill. Only 1" has fallen and the snow is more intense then thought. Kids still in school.

I really don't get that!! Everyone seen this coming so many days before why keep schools open??? Roads are a mess around Atlanta

https://twitter.com/TomNiziol/status/428234442029531137
Thats hilarious! I bet its only slushy aswell which means in a city the roads will be wet as if it rained!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:24 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,897,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Kids have been sent home from school - it was supposed to be worse to the south of us, but there is a heavy band setting up right over Atlanta. We are being predicted to get 1.5-2 inches by tomorrow morning, and the news just reported we have a half an inch right now. Most roads look to be clear, but the snow is melting and turning to ice. This is causing RIDICULOUS traffic on all highways in and around Atlanta, and lots of accidents starting to be reported. Bridges are icing up. Here is the current traffic map, and some photos I took around my neighborhood about 20 minutes ago.
Oh for goodness sake you've got to be joking. There isn't even any snow on the road! I don't understand why they send people home in these cities when you can't actually crash because there is no snow?

Old 01-28-2014, 12:28 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,378,714 times
It's 46 F with a 30 F dew point right now. I'm sure when precipitation moves in the temperature will drop like a rock

Old 01-28-2014, 12:29 PM

By the way... On that temp map I posted you can see a 10 degree difference of where it snowed and where it hasn't

Old 01-28-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Thats hilarious! I bet its only slushy aswell which means in a city the roads will be wet as if it rained!
Wwll it's -5 C and snowing right now in Atlanta, I doubt it's slushy and it's coming down heavy there too. AT -5 C, I'm betting the roads are very icy.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Oh for goodness sake you've got to be joking. There isn't even any snow on the road! I don't understand why they send people home in these cities when you can't actually crash because there is no snow?
Do you not have any reading comprehension? The poster clearly said the snow is melting but re-freezing back into ice, those are very dangerous conditions to be driving in.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:48 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,726,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Do you not have any reading comprehension? The poster clearly said the snow is melting but re-freezing back into ice, those are very dangerous conditions to be driving in.
Yes, thank you Alex. People need to remember, that down here, we rarely see measurable snow/ice. Once every few years we might get an inch or 2, and one every decade we might get more (usually 4 inches tops). Because of that, we don't have the equipment to handle it. A half an inch of snow that hits the road and turns to ice stays that way until it goes above freezing (which it should tomorrow). Here is a little perspective as to what happens in a major southern city (metro population over 6 million) with a little bit of snow, little in the way of salting roads, and few plows with everybody leaving work at exactly the same time (we got the go ahead to leave when we saw the first flakes):

Atlanta Snow Traffic! - Imgur
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather