Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,378,714 times

Advertisements

Sleeting hard right here in Tallahassee right now, there is a slight glaze of ice over elevated spots. This should continue all day, with a chance of snow during the afternoon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 07:34 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,726,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In suburban Atlanta, there were school buses stuck in some places
16+ hour traffic jams right now here in Atlanta. People abandoned their cars and slept in grocery stores, restaurants, and hotels. Majority of stores feeding stranded commuters for free, or very very cheap, and hotels putting people in all available rooms. Thousands of cars abandoned on highways and local roads all over. Looking out my window, the roads are snow covered - they are ice skating rinks. 2 inches of snow fell, melted, and froze into a solid block of ice. 911 is overwhelmed, and police have asked people to start reporting issues on their twitter page - they will not respond to accidents with 2 or less vehicles.

Right now, temp is in the teens, and the sun is shining. Hopefully we will get above freezing today, but everything will refreeze again tonight. Tomorrow is when we will get reprieve.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 AM

83,553 posts, read 75,444,508 times
Mobile, Alabama 4th largest 1 day snowfall on record for the month of January.

Atlanta 9th.
Macon, Georgia tied for 3rd.
Meridian, Mississippi tied for 4th.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,348,688 times
If I lived in Atlanta I wouldn't have went out in the storm, I wouldn't have set myself up to be stuck and stranded. The same thing for NYC, my normal commute already feels like I'm going to Philly (twice a day), if we're expecting 5+ inches of snow I'm not going anywhere, I've made that mistake once, never again.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:46 AM

914 posts, read 943,714 times
Wowsers...if I'd already moved to NC, as I plan to later this year...I would not have gone ANYWHERE.

I'll drive in snow...not ice. Not never.
I can't handle it and neither can anyone else.

I don't care if you got four wheel drive, you can't handle ice.

We get a lot of ice storms where I am now, in rural PA....because of the weird lay of the land here.
I live in the foothills of the Pocono Mountains, and there are two places where the weather seems to diverge wildly.

One is right along Interstate 80. North of the line, they will get far more snow.

The other line runs approximately along the southern border of Monroe County...about 4 miles down the road from my house. South of that line, they get even less snow than we do.

I live right in between those two lines, 4 miles to the south, and about 12 miles to the north. Depending on what the conditions are elsewhere, we can get a lot of icing in this small swath. I'll go in 8 inches of snow before I'll go in ice.

One time, earlier this year, we got 1.5 inches of snow. Tobyhanna, PA, which is about 22 miles north-northwest of me as the bird flies...they got 16 inches. Wind Gap, PA...the most northern town in Northampton County - it borders Monroe...they got freezing rain, sleet, and rain. Tobyhanna is one of the first towns north of I-80.

So I have a lot of experience dealing with ice. And I don't drive in it. EVER.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:06 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,237,063 times
Georgia state government getting grilled for their response to the storm. Is Alabama and South Carolina facing the same problems as Georgia? Granted the Atlanta area is heavily populated, but it still seems the state as a whole was more caught off guard.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
If I lived in Atlanta I wouldn't have went out in the storm, I wouldn't have set myself up to be stuck and stranded. The same thing for NYC, my normal commute already feels like I'm going to Philly (twice a day), if we're expecting 5+ inches of snow I'm not going anywhere, I've made that mistake once, never again.
Agree 100%. Same here with 8"+.

But It's the same situation as Tornado Warnings. Those not in tune with weather or ignore it gets caught in it.

The other thing I have to say respectfully... It's 2014 not 1914. City's need to start thinking like it no matter if its a rare thing or not.

This should not happen for 1-2" of snow!

Atlanta

However, you have to respect the weather and the image here. That is ice on the road... it's not drivers faults... it's the cities.

I-75 abandoned cars. And this is the day after.

Or.... just maybe.... just maybe we're all jumping the gun here because when temps are in the teens any melting is just refreezing on the roads, so maybe., just maybe, there was nothing else to do for the roads and then it comes down to actual peoples fault for being out in the elements.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 AM

Alabama a day after..

"No getting up that hill at least until tomorrow. Its going to get colder. Hwy 41"

Pelicans in Snow.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:48 AM

""Birminghamians need snowplows like New Yorkers need tornado shelters." "
https://twitter.com/Accu_Jesse/statu...96640195567616

Old 01-29-2014, 12:00 PM

914 posts, read 943,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Or.... just maybe.... just maybe we're all jumping the gun here because when temps are in the teens any melting is just refreezing on the roads, so maybe., just maybe, there was nothing else to do for the roads and then it comes down to actual peoples fault for being out in the elements.
Maybe...they shoulda built the highways right - and embedded heat coils that could be activated in order to prevent the stuff from freezing on the roadways in the first place!

Obviously, you can't do that with all roads...but major roads...

Still, that would at least enable them to target emergency supplies to other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather