Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 11:43 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,453,047 times

Advertisements

Shaping up to be a weird looking month here, for sure, when it comes to temperatures.

how to use print screen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,234,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Shaping up to be a weird looking month here, for sure, when it comes to temperatures.

how to use print screen
See the difference between 6th & 7th .

Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,360,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, I know, but some people whine about "inhuman" cold only because they lack even the most basic knowledge how to dress properly.
I am properly dressed, I could've used a pair of gloves for a good 30 minutes, but I no longer need them, and I probably won't for the rest of the winter.

Quote:
And I don't mean any GoreTex high tech Alpine gear, but like mittens, and a cap. It's been frigid here for two weeks now, and I wear a t-shirt, light long sleeved shirt and a hoodie. Normal winter coat, scarf, mittens and a woolen cap. I have long johns in store if needed. So far I haven't. Pretty basic, huh?
That's not basic, that's kind of a lot. I have on a t-shirt, a winter coat, jeans, sneakers, and a hat.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,453,047 times
The 13.5 inches that fell at Philadelphia International was the 10th largest one day snowstorm for the city. Most surrounding areas got less than 13 inches - we got 8, for example. And it probably wouldn't be in the top 10 of two-or-more-day snowstorm totals. But now for Philadelphia, 5 of the 10 largest one day snowstorms have occurred since 2003.

Snow total makes Top 10 for city (not area)

Got to love the 19'' inches that fell on April 3, 1915.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,595,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, I know, but some people whine about "inhuman" cold only because they lack even the most basic knowledge how to dress properly. And I don't mean any GoreTex high tech Alpine gear, but like mittens, and a cap. It's been frigid here for two weeks now, and I wear a t-shirt, light long sleeved shirt and a hoodie. Normal winter coat, scarf, mittens and a woolen cap. I have long johns in store if needed. So far I haven't. Pretty basic, huh?
I'm probably missing the cap and scarf, which might be part of my problem.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:13 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,827,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I wore gloves in California in the winter, so I'm skeptical they wouldn't useful in England. Mainly wind gloves for bicycling, though. But they're still handy standing around on chilly mornings.
I certainly don't need them, but perhaps there's times when I should use them rather than being stubborn. I don't cycle too much anymore, and if I'm cold on a morning, my pockets will do the trick.
Perhaps my hands aren't affected by the cold as much as yours, but I'd say the percentage of people wearing gloves here even on the coldest of mornings, isn't too high.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:21 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,163,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Stations with a snowfall departure of 1 FOOT+ to date.

These are not totals, they are above normal departures

Philly (26"!)
Wilmington (20.2")
Islip (18.3")
Newark (17.4")
Allentown (16.3")
Central Park (16.3")
Boston (13.8")
LGA (13.4")
JFK (12.7")

Philly has 33 inches of snow on the year. Normal is 7.7" to date
NYC 26"
Pittsburgh has 34.7", compared to normal 18.8" (to-date), a DPT of 15.9". All in frequent, small, pesky doses as the snow cover at KPIT has yet to reach 5", although we did perform well this morning with a low of 4 below F (better than Chi-town!)

Old 01-22-2014, 12:22 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,234,541 times
Monroe, NJ, the millionaires haven, got slammed with 15.5" of snow. But no worries, they will be hiring guys to clear things up .

Old 01-22-2014, 12:23 PM

29,578 posts, read 19,687,463 times

Quote:
I don't think the GFS ensembles have quite caught on to how nasty this air mass is going to be and how far west it will stretch, but it is coming around. Here's its forecast for Monday

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...-very/22400299

Quote:
A review of data shows that ice formation on the Great Lakes continues and with colder than normal temperatures remaining in the short and longer range forecasts, the ice cover will continue to grow.

At this point, the Great Lakes are currently 48% ice covered.

The lake with the highest concentration of ice is Lake Erie, which is no surprise, as it is by a wide margin the shallowest of the Great Lakes so it freezes up much faster. Interestingly, Lake Erie is also because of how shallow it is, the warmest of the lakes in summer. As of this writing, Lake Erie is 94% ice covered.

Next in line is Lake Huron where all of Georgian Bay, the North Channel and the shoreline areas along Michigan are completely frozen over. There is open water in the center of the lake still, but Lake Huron is 69% frozen over.

The deepest and largest of the Great Lakes, Lake Superior is next in line. Being further north with much colder air in place, even with its vast size, Lake Superior is now over half covered in ice at 53% coverage. It's a dramatic shift as just as recently as New Year's Eve, the lake only had 4% coverage of ice. Outside of a small pocket of open water offshore of the Porcupine Mountains in the Western U.P., much of the western half of Lake Superior is frozen. There is however a large area of open water over much of the eastern half of the lake.

Lake Michigan is 33% ice covered. While the northern part of the lake including the Straits of Mackinac, the Bay of Green Bay, and many shoreline areas down to Chicago are frozen, there is still a lot of open water once you get a bit offshore.

Lake Ontario has the least amount of ice with roughly one quarter or 24% of the lake ice covered.

While most major bays are iced over including Green Bay, Saginaw Bay, Georgian Bay, Whitefish Bay and Little Traverse Bay, Grand Traverse Bay has still not iced up completely. Viewer pictures and satellite analysis show ice starting to clog up the bay. To technically be considered frozen over, Grand Traverse Bay must freeze up from Traverse City north about six miles to Power Island to be considered a complete freeze over and we are not quite there yet as there is still open water.

The typical peak of ice on the Great Lakes comes in March. Since 1973 the long term average of complete ice cover has been 51.4%. The lowest ice coverage since 1973 came in 2002 when only 9.5% of the lakes were frozen up. 1998 was close behind at only 11.5%. By comparison, the most ice in a winter since 1973 was the bitter cold winter of 1978/1979 when 94.7% of the lakes froze over. The year 1994 also cracked 90% coverage.

Going forward, the increased ice will cut down on lake effect snow for some spots which requires evaporation of lake water to form, and with ice, that cannot happen. Another bonus is once ice forms, there is no longer evaporation of lake water which helps cut down on net water loss of the Great Lakes and can help lake water levels which as you may know, have been below average for some time.
Drastically cold temperatures create greatest ice cover on the Great Lakes in 20 years : News : UpNorthLive.com

Old 01-22-2014, 12:27 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,855,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm probably missing the cap and scarf, which might be part of my problem.
Most likely. Most of your body heat escapes through the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather