Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,417,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
13°F is actually impressive for NYC. We only dropped to 7°F; but it felt very cold because I'm not used to those temperatures as it's been so mild.
Yea, that is for the city. NYC rarely falls much below 20 F in winter. 13 F is cold enough for me! Gives you a real respect for folks who deal with -35 F in northern Minnosota each winter. We’re wimps on the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 01:03 PM

83,712 posts, read 76,196,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
We’re wimps on the East Coast.
Wait..... something we agree on? This can't be. LOL!

I heard somewhere that Ski resorts love when it goes back to 35-40 degrees after it snows in the East because Skiers in the East like to ski at 35 degrees ... but out west they'll ski at 0 degrees. LOL So true.

I know many people who can't take the cold weather and I cant help but shake my head cause I'm one not to even wear a jacket at 10 degrees.. It doesnt phase me at all. But I'll admit, I need more of these days to get used to.. Skin is used to 50 degrees lately.

Best quote of my day came from Beech Mountain Ski Resort FB Page.

‎"There's no such thing as being cold, just inappropriate clothing. We have rental bibs and coats if you need another layer!"

Old 01-04-2012, 01:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,803,449 times
Quote:
Yea, that is for the city. NYC rarely falls much below 20 F in winter. 13 F is cold enough for me! Gives you a real respect for folks who deal with -35 F in northern Minnosota each winter. We’re wimps on the East Coast.
Well that's only true in the New York metro and right along the immediate coast. Inland, much colder temperatures are common, though obviously not northern Minnesota levels.

I'm about (air not road) 100 miles north of Long Island, and 13°F is my average January low. Last year it was 8°F, only one degree more than my low temperature last night from the giant arctic air blast.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:01 PM

Here we go again folks. Considering I started this thread 6 days before it happened Im impressed the models got it right that far out.

Euro long range showing another blast of Arctic air. But maybe the thread name should be changed to "U.S Arctic Blast January 2012" because I dont think its just the East this time" and I believe the pattern is set to change to colder then it is now starting mid month.

Jan. 14 Euro projected Surface temps.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Wait..... something we agree on? This can't be. LOL!

I heard somewhere that Ski resorts love when it goes back to 35-40 degrees after it snows in the East because Skiers in the East like to ski at 35 degrees ... but out west they'll ski at 0 degrees. LOL So true.

I know many people who can't take the cold weather and I cant help but shake my head cause I'm one not to even wear a jacket at 10 degrees.. It doesnt phase me at all. But I'll admit, I need more of these days to get used to.. Skin is used to 50 degrees lately.

Best quote of my day came from Beech Mountain Ski Resort FB Page.

‎"There's no such thing as being cold, just inappropriate clothing. We have rental bibs and coats if you need another layer!"

True, I think folks in the western and central USA don’t mind skiing in very cold temps (under 10 F)…while those of us in the far east (Atlantic states) seem to like it a bit warmer (35 – 45 F). From what I’ve been told by friends out West - skiing is serious big business in the West. Ski resorts like Aspen, Vail, and the many areas in Utah, CA…etc, have a long and well established ski industry. Your right about clothing and accessories - Western skiers tend to have better and warmer clothing. The much longer ski season out West makes a heavy clothing investment worth it. For me, I think skiing out West would be nice – as long as it’s above 20 F. I can handle about 10 - 15 F below freezing for a few hours (if the sun is blazing), but much below 15 F, I just shut down – lol.

One other note about the cold temps in the southland – here is something you don’t see every day: At 3:00 PM today...New Orleans was only 1 F cooler than Miami:

On Thur temps should moderate however, and Miami should see highs back into the lower 70's...

Old 01-04-2012, 02:54 PM

914 posts, read 2,113,893 times
Quote:
northern MN has not seen -35 this winter and probably never will.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:29 PM

Explaination of Thickness Values. Thickness and its uses | Weather FAQs

Check out the thickness values in the long range.

Left image shows thickness values from this morning .. Great Lakes stayed near the 530s thickness. 540 stayed over Ohio Valley and Mid Atlantic.

Right image shows the model forecast for mid month. If that comes true it will be colder and stronger than what we just went through. 490s thickness that drops that far and then moves eastward is ..

Thats some fridgid air in the atmosphere..

Old 01-04-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
northern MN has not seen -35 this winter and probably never will.
Your right Kaul. I checked the NWS site for Duluth, Minnesota: The lowest temp they have so far this winter for NWS Duluth is -1 ….and for NWS International Falls -15 F (both on Dec 6th, 2011).

However, so far this has been a pretty mild winter in many parts of the northern USA (I’m sure you know this of course). Mean temps are running almost 10 F at many stations across the upper Midwest. Last year, January had several times when lows plunged to -25 to – 35 below zero. NWS International Falls fell to -41 F and -46 F on January 20th and 21st. In fact, the highest temp all month at International Falls was just 24 F.:

I guess my point (and my ribbing of my countryman on the East Coast) is that what is considered “very cold, bone chilling, horrifically cold”…etc is of course all relative. Keep in mind that for the millions who live in the big cities on the East Coast like NYC, Washington DC, Atlantic City, Baltimore, New Haven, Wilmington DE, Philadelphia…etc might see a few days each winter with a low of 10 to 15 F - yet people will go on and on about how it is like the “north pole out there” – lol. I often wondered what someone who has experienced -46 F would think of someone bellowing about 15 F as “extreme cold” .

Old 01-04-2012, 07:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,803,449 times
Quote:

I guess my point (and my ribbing of my countryman on the East Coast) is that what is considered “very cold, bone chilling, horrifically cold”…etc is of course all relative. Keep in mind that for the millions who live in the big cities on the East Coast like NYC, Washington DC, Atlantic City, Baltimore, New Haven, Wilmington DE, Philadelphia…etc might see a few days each winter with a low of 10 to 15 F - yet people will go on and on about how it is like the “north pole out there” – lol. I often wondered what someone who has experienced -46 F would think of someone bellowing about 15 F as “extreme cold” .
As I said, you don't have to go far from the coast for 15°F to become the normal winter night temperature. The difference is quick and yes, the locals who live right on the coast aren't used to such cold temps. And looking at my forecast, except for tonight, no night is getting close to 15°F, which is what my normal low is right now.

Arctic air blast over tomorrow. Just there to reminds that winter's still here and can bite. The post-arctic air blast forecast is a bit cooler than it was before, but it is getting to a cooler time of year.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
As I said, you don't have to go far from the coast for 15°F to become the normal winter night temperature.
I tried to make that a point on the CT weather thread many times. Even Hartford, CT has "average" lows at 17 degrees now and thats only about 40 miles from the coast.

The coast is such a different ballgame from the rest. Its almost amazing each time you check. In one way the warm waters can fuel monster snowstorms in another way it tames the temps from getting colder.

And more amazing is you can drive 10-15 miles from the CT beach and be at 500 feet above sea level and have different temps and snowfall amount from I-95 areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather