Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:49 AM

83,559 posts, read 75,454,544 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm going to let this thread fade away since it just seems like the flip flop will continue.

The arctic air is not only weak this time around but wont last. Enjoy it while you can.

Just a note: Temps will fall 15 degrees in within a couple hours tonight with this blast coming through so flash freezes could occur in and around PA.

-----------
As rain storm departs, arctic air on the way

A rapidly intensifying low pressure system over the Ohio Valley will phase or merge with an advancing Arctic cold front. This cold front will advance towards the Philadelphia and New York City metropolitan areas tonight into early tomorrow morning. Ahead of the cold front, temperatures will remain warm ranging from the mid to upper 40′s this evening with winds from the southwest at 10 to 20 mph. As the Arctic cold front moves through tomorrow morning, temperatures will crash and then hold in the mid 30′s to lower 40′s. A squall line of rain and snow showers can be expected with this arctic cold front. Winds will veer to the northwest at 10 to 20 mph with higher gusts over 40 mph leading to wind chills in the 20′s and 30′s by tomorrow afternoon.

Arctic high pressure will take hold tomorrow evening on through Monday with tranquil weather conditions expected. Winds will decrease to 5 to 10 mph from the west and northwest through this weekend. Due to the cold nature of the air mass in place, I can’t rule out a stray flurry or two through this weekend, but no organized areas of precipitation is expected. Temperatures will range from the single digits to upper 10′s for lows and mid 20′s to mid 30′s for highs.

A cold front will approach on Tuesday with scattered rain and snow showers and moderating temperatures followed by another reenforcing shoot of Arctic air. Temperatures on Tuesday afternoon will rebound into the upper 30′s to mid 40′s before falling back into the lower 20′s to lower 30′s by Wednesday morning. Afternoon highs on Wednesday will range from the mid 30′s to lower 40′s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:24 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,704,852 times
You need not let this topic die. It is still interesting. But yes, this particular cold blast should modify quickly, just like the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I guess I'm going to let this thread fade away since it just seems like the flip flop will continue.

The arctic air is not only weak this time around but wont last. Enjoy it while you can.

Just a note: Temps will fall 15 degrees in within a couple hours tonight with this blast coming through so flash freezes could occur in and around PA.

-----------
As rain storm departs, arctic air on the way

A rapidly intensifying low pressure system over the Ohio Valley will phase or merge with an advancing Arctic cold front. This cold front will advance towards the Philadelphia and New York City metropolitan areas tonight into early tomorrow morning. Ahead of the cold front, temperatures will remain warm ranging from the mid to upper 40′s this evening with winds from the southwest at 10 to 20 mph. As the Arctic cold front moves through tomorrow morning, temperatures will crash and then hold in the mid 30′s to lower 40′s. A squall line of rain and snow showers can be expected with this arctic cold front. Winds will veer to the northwest at 10 to 20 mph with higher gusts over 40 mph leading to wind chills in the 20′s and 30′s by tomorrow afternoon.

Arctic high pressure will take hold tomorrow evening on through Monday with tranquil weather conditions expected. Winds will decrease to 5 to 10 mph from the west and northwest through this weekend. Due to the cold nature of the air mass in place, I can’t rule out a stray flurry or two through this weekend, but no organized areas of precipitation is expected. Temperatures will range from the single digits to upper 10′s for lows and mid 20′s to mid 30′s for highs.

A cold front will approach on Tuesday with scattered rain and snow showers and moderating temperatures followed by another reenforcing shoot of Arctic air. Temperatures on Tuesday afternoon will rebound into the upper 30′s to mid 40′s before falling back into the lower 20′s to lower 30′s by Wednesday morning. Afternoon highs on Wednesday will range from the mid 30′s to lower 40′s.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:00 PM

You can see where the arctic front is. Chicago and vicinity are getting blizzard conditions right now. That cold air will slide East for the Weekend

Saturday and Sunday night should be in the teens around here.

These are current temps at 1 in the afternoon.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,556,943 times
Weird this blast seems stronger than the first. I'm seeing a high of 18°F one day this weekend and little recovery to above average temps.

Enjoy it? Eww. I'll be counting the days. I find it hard to understand to how people enjoy really cold weather. I can understand hating heat and maybe having no warmth to prevent any sweating when moving about, but below 50° (or maybe 45°F) I don't see the point of such weather other than to provide interesting snow, but we're not getting that.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:21 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,238,401 times
Looks like it'll generally remain below average after tomorrow.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,238,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Weird this blast seems stronger than the first. I'm seeing a high of 18°F one day this weekend and little recovery to above average temps.

Enjoy it? Eww. I'll be counting the days. I find it hard to understand to how people enjoy really cold weather. I can understand hating heat and maybe having no warmth to prevent any sweating when moving about, but below 50° (or maybe 45°F) I don't see the point of such weather other than to provide interesting snow, but we're not getting that.
The skiing industry doesn't like it!

I think our average winter high (35 F) is very pleasant.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:39 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,947,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

For us this blast is not as severe. The last one we had two consecutive days below freezing for high temps, and the low was in the teens. This time around barely one day below freezing, and lows bottoming out at 20F. And by Tuesday the forecasted high is 46F.

Further south, Charleston is barely going below freezing one night, and by Tuesday and Wed Charleston is hitting the mid 60's. Coastal areas around Charleston are bottoming out around 36F. This front really doesn't seem to pack as much punch as the last one, for the mid and lower East Coast.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:04 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,879,229 times
Arctic air will be invading the U.S for the next couple of days. After that, a warmup will be in store and then another shot of cold air.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,372,428 times
Much to the displeasure of winter fans I’m sure…most NWS stations on the East Coast from Virginia Beach, VA southward….have seen very few nights with freeze/frost since meteorological winter started on December 1st:

NWS Charleston, SC had had only 5 nights with frost/freeze…

NWS Savannah, GA has had only 4 nights with frost/freeze…

NWS Daytona Beach, FL has had only 2 nights with frost/freeze…

and from NWS Melbourne, FL southward it has been frost free.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:34 AM

Current surface Freezling Level. Look how far down it is and its midday.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather