Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:57 AM

83,712 posts, read 76,196,004 times

Advertisements

Couple of current temp maps.

Actual temps from NWS Stations.

Manchester, VT 5 day forecast. Normal High is 30. Normal Low is 11. Looks like they'll be below to normal next 5 days. 1 day of above with the highs and 2 days with above for the lows.

Last edited by Cambium; 01-14-2012 at 06:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 04:49 PM

Well this looks like Arctic. Gees.

US National Weather Service Caribou ME
Dangerous wind chills are in store tonight throughout the state. Here are the expected wind chills at 7am Sunday morning. Wind chills to around 30 below are expected for Northern Maine, with 10 to 20 below toward the coast. Wind chill advisories are in effect for many areas, with even wind chill warnings for the Western Maine mountains, where wind chills to 40 below are expected. Temperatures (and wind chills) will gradually become less of an issue as we head toward Tuesday.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,417,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That would be very interesting. The warmth looks more in the south, though so it might not effect us. For sure, it looks like the cold snap next week is definite while the longer term forecast is more probabilistic.

Cold snap gone in 2-3 days? My forecast shows, except one day, it staying for the whole week, colder than anything so far this winter.

Yes, it seems that the core of this current cold snap will be more directed at the Upper Midwest and upper Northeast (mostly New England) than points west and south. Here are the current temps...it's in the teens in Chicago and upstate New York (Binghampton) and in New England...in the 30's closer to the coast (NYC, Washington DC)...and still in the middle 40's in the south Atlantic states (Savannah, Atlanta):

Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 AM

Impressive temps and wind chill numbers. Seems deeper this time. 20s and 30s into Florida and negative teens (with wind) into NorthEast.

I think the difference this time is winds are stronger and there is snowpack north and West now so air is colder.

These are actual temps.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:14 AM

Freeze Warning Florida for following counties: Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Columbia, Gilchrist, Hamilton,
Marion, Suwannee, Union

* TEMPERATURE...TEMPERATURES WILL FALL TO AROUND 30 DEGREES BY
SUNRISE THIS MORNING...WITH A FEW HOURS OF SUB FREEZING
TEMPERATURES EXPECTED.

-----------------------------------
Wind Chill Advisory: AK MA ME MT NH NY
Wind Chill Warning: ME NH
-----------------------------------

Wind Chill Advisory for NY for following counties:
Albany Columbia Delaware
Fulton Greene Hamilton
Herkimer Montgomery Oneida
Otsego Rensselaer Saratoga
Schenectady Schoharie Sullivan
Ulster Warren Washington

Albany County:

* WIND CHILL READINGS...AS LOW AS 24 BELOW.

* TIMING...THROUGH MID MORNING.
--------------------------------------

Wind Chill Warning for NH, Coos County

...WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THIS
MORNING...

* LOCATIONS...THE MOUNTAINS OF NEW HAMPSHIRE AND WESTERN MAINE.

* HAZARD TYPES...DANGEROUSLY LOW WIND CHILLS.

* WIND CHILL READINGS...AS LOW AS 39 BELOW.

* IMPACTS...POSSIBLE FROSTBITE AND HYPOTHERMIA.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...6 BELOW TO 7 ABOVE ZERO.
-------------------------------

Old 01-15-2012, 06:53 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,417,673 times
The snowpack issue is really important:

You can see that last storm left some snowcover in the Midwest, but much of the central USA remains snow free. I think this effects these cold waves as they move out of Canada and down in to the USA, as the lack of snowcover allows them to warm a little faster than they would with a snowpack. The way this winter is going, this might be the week with the most snowcover all winter. I guess will find out very soon.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 AM

Thats strange snow cover came up. See new topic. We added double the coverage of snow in last few days. Some light cover but some spots picked up over a foot.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...mparisons.html

Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,304,624 times
Coldest night of the season forecasted for tonight - low of 6 F/-14.5 C. Nights haven't been as cold as they typically are during arctic outbreaks due to cloud cover and lack of snowcover. Today is clear though.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:50 AM

Wow. Unexpected when I went to look at the current wind chills and departure from normal.

Like I said previously, it's not just the East with the Arctic outbreak. Upper MidWest is looking crazy being 20+ degrees below normal.

This is the 3rd one this month I believe.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:38 PM

174 posts, read 473,028 times
Pretty cold in the Northeast now, and obviously finally getting some snow on the ground, first such snow on the ground since October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather