Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 03:59 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,070,523 times

Advertisements

The horrible weather in Christchurch has me tearing my hair out in frustration. Nearly every day this month has been below average. Judging by the forecast we could well end up with one of the coldest Septembers on record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 04:35 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,602,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
The horrible weather in Christchurch has me tearing my hair out in frustration. Nearly every day this month has been below average. Judging by the forecast we could well end up with one of the coldest Septembers on record.
The Tmax up to 16 Sep have not been below average - for Ch'ch Aero the mean Tmax so far is 14.4C, and considering that's the first half of the month (monthly average 14.5C), there's no way that could be below average. The Tmin however have been down by 2.1C so far - but that will probably lift in the second half of the month. Sunshine in the first 16 days totals 100 hours, somewhat above average. Rainfall to the 16th is a smallish 16.4mm. Members of a Ch'ch/Cant'y forum I follow don't appear to have a problem - their only worry appears to be a shortage of rainfall of some significant duration now.

I strongly advise any non-NZ forumers to take your assessements of Christchurch weather with several buckets of salt - they are not even remotely objective.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:19 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,227,309 times
Currently 56 F with sunshine in Christchurch according to the NZ met website. I would assume that's right around average for this time of year. Doesn't look to be that horrible out there.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Currently 56 F with sunshine in Christchurch according to the NZ met website. I would assume that's right around average for this time of year. Doesn't look to be that horrible out there.
It's completely normal.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:29 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,070,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The Tmin however have been down by 2.1C so far - but that will probably lift in the second half of the month.
What makes you think that? The extended forecast doesn't give me much hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I strongly advise any non-NZ forumers to take your assessements of Christchurch weather with several buckets of salt - they are not even remotely objective.
This forecast is objectively horrible -- all days bar Wednesday have below average temps (many of them well below average):

Tomorrow
19 Sep

Max 13°C
MIN 3°C
Rain and fresh cold southwesterlies from late morning.

Issued: 4:39pm 18 Sep
Tuesday
20 Sep

Max 12°C
MIN 3°C
Showers clear to fine weather. Southwest dies out.

Issued: 1:29pm 18 Sep

Wednesday
21 Sep

Max 16°C
MIN 8°C
Cloudy periods. Northeasterlies developing.

Thursday
22 Sep

Max 16°C
MIN 5°C
Cloudy, some rain at times. Northeast dies out.

Friday
23 Sep

Max 14°C
MIN 3°C
Dry. Light winds.

Issued: 1:10pm 18 Sep

Saturday
24 Sep

Max 14°C
MIN 4°C
Dry with northwesterlies.

Sunday
25 Sep

Max 12°C
MIN 3°C
Showers with westerlies.

Monday
26 Sep

Max 12°C
MIN 4°C
Showers with westerlies.

Tuesday
27 Sep

Max 13°C
MIN 4°C
Showers with westerlies.

Yes, the flowers are blooming and the days are noticeably longer, but it still feels very much like winter here in Christchurch. The next couple of weeks are going to be hard to bear, but the hope of a warmer October keeps me going. There's a lovely little verse I like to recite to myself in times like these, to remind myself that there is light at the end of the tunnel, however bleak things appear:

Not always, Valgius, from the bursting cloud
On ruffled plains descends the rain
Not always fitful gales and darkness shroud
The Caspian main
Not always on the bleak Armenian shore
Inert and rigid stands the winter snow
Sunshine returns; the torpid waters flow;
The storm-tossed Oak-tree rests its branches hoar;
And the pale Ash bewails its shattered leaves no more.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:05 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
Just because the temperature is below average doesn't mean the weather is bad.. as long as it's sunny with little wind it should feel pleasant regardless.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:

This forecast is objectively horrible -- all days bar Wednesday have below average temps (many of them well below average):
It's a forecast. I analyze weather from data - not forecasts!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:38 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,420,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Just because the temperature is below average doesn't mean the weather is bad.. as long as it's sunny with little wind it should feel pleasant regardless.

Of course it does, it means more money gets spent on heating and more dressing up to go out, for instance. That = bad.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:44 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Of course it does, it means more money gets spent on heating and more dressing up to go out, for instance. That = bad.
Well not everyone sticks the heating on willy nilly. 13c here at the moment and the heating is off. Only need a light jacket to to outside, don't even need one in the sun.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:09 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,420,767 times
[quote=dunno what to put here;20929352]Well not everyone sticks the heating on willy nilly.

We do not "stick the heating on willy nilly", we happened to live in a very cold house, in a cold climate, and it happens therefore, by logical deduction, to cost a lot more to keep the house up to a livable temperature (at least 16°C) than if the climate were warmer.

The heating in our house ran by thermostat, guessing most of you northerners don't know what they are as you seem to think people just "put" the heating on or off, Er no, the heating will come on whenever the temperature indoors gets low enough (below 16 degrees) and hence can even come on in summer if it is cold enough. That is not wasting money or heating, it simply means we have a cold house and in cold weather heating is needed to keep the temperature up to the specified level in the thermostat. Matters like this are clearly too complex for you.

Not all houses like the one you might live in are built to retain heat. Without being modernised and upgraded (also at great cost) rooms in my house when the heating had gone off, would get down to 7-10°C in the winter and spring.

Just another reason why the cold stinks and is not a natural condition for humans to live in, hence why things like houses with all these things to retain heat, artificial heating, etc,,,, are required in these awful climates.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 09-18-2011 at 05:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather