Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:28 PM

58 posts, read 147,305 times

Advertisements

I looked at an apartment on 1700 euclid street in adams morgan. How safe is this area? I'm a 20 something female, and I won't have a car or go out late at night. Any info on the area would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 09:11 PM

368 posts, read 539,559 times
It should be pretty safe. Like anywhere, there is some crime. But I have walked through that area many times late at night with no problems.
It's only a couple of blocks from 18th street, which gets busy/loud with drunk people on weekend nights. It's still a pretty nice location though, because you can easily walk to Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, U Street, or even Dupont Circle.
It's close to a circulator route and several bus routes, but you'll have to walk a bit to the nearest Metro station.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:25 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,093,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
It should be pretty safe. Like anywhere, there is some crime. But I have walked through that area many times late at night with no problems.
It's only a couple of blocks from 18th street, which gets busy/loud with drunk people on weekend nights. It's still a pretty nice location though, because you can easily walk to Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, U Street, or even Dupont Circle.
It's close to a circulator route and several bus routes, but you'll have to walk a bit to the nearest Metro station.
Do a Google search and you'll find that particular block has had multiple shootings in recent years - it's not "like anywhere" in the city.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
That intersection does have a bad history. I'd look elsewhere... the area (Adams Morgan) isn't too bad but that block is sketchy as ****.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
17th and Euclid is an outlier in an otherwise largely safe area. Adams Morgan and Mt. Pleasant are for the most part safe areas to live in, but as others have noted that is a sketchy intersection. It wouldn't be at the top of places I would look towards. Even just being a block or two away would be an improvement.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,946 times
Here is an example of the sordid history of that block.

TPM Election Central | Talking Points Memo | Well Known Liberal Blogger Shot In Washington, D.C. (http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/07/leading_liberal_blogger_shot_i.php - broken link)

A well-known DC blogger was shot there three years ago by some gangbangers.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
If the rent is low enough, it might be worth the bullet. People get shot everyday, ya know. Shake it off and get back in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Here is an example of the sordid history of that block.

TPM Election Central | Talking Points Memo | Well Known Liberal Blogger Shot In Washington, D.C.

A well-known DC blogger was shot there three years ago by some gangbangers.
Guys like you should just stay in the burbs. Did this shooting rattle you to the core?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 AM

And what exactly is a "guy like me"? What do you think you know about me?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
And what exactly is a "guy like me"? What do you think you know about me?
Guys who use words like "sordid" in reference to an area that many Washingtonians feel is as dangerous as Universal Studios.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 AM

You don't think someone being shot at a location is an example of a "sordid" incident?
I never said I would not go to that block. I have been there several times, including after the shooting. I guess I was really "rattled to the core," huh? I was simply providing the facts to the OP.

I don't think you know what "sordid" means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC