Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:43 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times

Advertisements

Putting aside some of the weekend shenanigans, most of Adams Morgan is a great, safe neighborhood. 17th and Euclid happens to be a block that some consider an exception:

Bullets Disturb Family Gathering Spot on Euclid - City Desk - Washington City Paper

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/b...ion-to-follow/

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/b...-adams-morgan/

It could be that someone moving to DC from Michigan would like to know the block's history. Maybe she won't care, and found a great deal on an apartment, and maybe she'll decide it's not for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
You don't think someone being shot at a location is an example of a "sordid" incident?
Someone getting shot at does not mean the neighborhood has a "sordid" history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I don't think you know what "sordid" means.
–adjective
1. morally ignoble or base; vile: sordid methods.

2. meanly selfish, self-seeking, or mercenary.

3. dirty or filthy.

4. squalid; wretchedly poor and run-down:

So you think that the words "morally ignoble", "base" and "squalid" apply to the history of 17th and Columbia?

You're acting like that intersection is like the strip from the movie "Jungle Fever" where heroin addicts were lying dead in the street with needles in their arms. That's "sordid." A murder does not make a neighborhood "sordid."

Old 09-01-2011, 12:20 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Thank you for looking up the word for me. First of all, the story I linked to did not involve a murder. The victim did not die. Second of all, yes, shooting someone, or committing an attempted murder, is clearly "vile" and "morally ignoble," to quote your definition. To argue otherwise is absurd. I never said the neighborhood itself is "sordid." I said it has a sordid history. I would argue that 1600 Pennsylvania Ave also has a sordid history, but for totally different reasons.

But we're getting away from the real issue here. OP wanted to know if that block is safe. Safe is a relative term. How does 17th and Euclid compare to the rest of the city in terms of safety?
Well you can go to crimemap.dc.gov and see for yourself. You'll see that while it is definitely not the WORST part of the city, it has more property and violent crime than most of the city, especially NW DC.

BajanYankee can pretend that this block is no worse than Universal Studios, or 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, or where ever, but the facts simply do not support what he or she is saying.
Does that mean no one should ever live there and that it is some hellish place? No. I never would claim that. I just think that any newcomer to the city should be informed of the risks, and then decide for him or herself.
That's what this forum is for.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,972 times
Bajan is on a dayum role today.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:06 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
There are $500,000 homes on that stretch of Euclid. I wouldn't call that neighborhood bad. Howard students, yuppies and hipters walk through there all day and night on their way to and from 18th Street. BTW - There aren't any gangs around there. Bjesus, you people wacth too much Channel 7 news. I actually know the people on that block that's causing all the trouble. It's two families who have lived there since the 60's. LOL

Old 09-01-2011, 01:31 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
There are $500,000 homes on that stretch of Euclid. I wouldn't call that neighborhood bad. Howard students, yuppies and hipters walk through there all day and night on their way to and from 18th Street. BTW - There aren't any gangs around there. Bjesus, you people wacth too much Channel 7 news. I actually know the people on that block that's causing all the trouble. It's two families who have lived there since the 60's. LOL
There are $500k homes all over this city, and some of them are in quite dicey areas. One thing I have learned about the "new" DC is that the relative sketchiness of a neighborhood doesn't deter people from spending obscene amounts on housing.

That said, i don't think anyone is calling the entire neighborhood bad. Most responses here have stated that Adams Morgan and nearby areas are a generally fun and safe place to live. But there's no denying that this particular intersection is a definite outlier in terms of safety and sketchy activity. All streets and intersections are not created equal.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:40 PM

361 posts, read 854,194 times
The "legend" of 17th and Euclid lives on! Gangbangers! Crews! Drive-bys! Murders! Oh my! I think the few remaining old heads who hang out around that house on the corner play up to the reputation. What kills me though is the notion that just being two blocks away makes you "safe." If you scared of 17th and Euclid, you should be scared of17th and Kalorama too.

There are similar notorious houses in just about every gentrifying neighborhood.

Last edited by RozCat; 09-01-2011 at 04:11 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 03:59 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Only one side in this debate is actually offering any facts. I agree that perhaps I was wrong to point to an anecdote right off the bat. But the statistics show that the anecdotes are not isolated incidents. The statistics are there for anyone to see. Go to crimemap.dc.gov.
It's just a fact that this block--and yes, also blocks around it--have more crime than average for DC.
No one on this thread, myself included, has said they are "scared" of this block. But the OP asked "how safe is the area?" The honest answer is that while it is not the worst location in the city, it is far from the best.
I have never made any statements saying that one should or should not move to that block. I'll let others make that call.
But I would appreciate it if others would stop implying that I said things I never said.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:41 AM

368 posts, read 539,329 times
If you look at a crime map of the area, 17th and Euclid doesn't have any more crime than any other intersection. Yes, there's crime in the area. Where in DC isn't there crime?

http://crimemap.dc.gov/presentation/map.asp?map_action=INIT&CrimeType=Total%20Violent% 20Crime (broken link)

Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
If you look at a crime map of the area, 17th and Euclid doesn't have any more crime than any other intersection. Yes, there's crime in the area. Where in DC isn't there crime?

http://crimemap.dc.gov/presentation/map.asp?map_action=INIT&CrimeType=Total%20Violent% 20Crime (broken link)
Exactly. If you don't want any crime in your neighborhood, I recommend Concord, New Hampshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC