Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:50 PM

20 posts, read 67,934 times

Advertisements

I was told the Adams Morgan, Mount Pleasant, Dupont area is nice and safe. I am thinking about an apartment on New Hampshire Ave and V St. between 16 and 15th street. I hear Shaw is bad and 14th street is not safe. Is this a good area where my apartment will be? Is the U Street/African American Civil War Mem. Metro station safe near there? Also any recommendations for apartment complexes in Adams Morgan, Woodley Park, Mount Pleasant Area? I am new to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
This is a city so keep your wits and you'll be fine. All of the areas you mentioned are (even Shaw) gentrified to death and basically safe. 14th Street is finally returning to its past glory. U Street has so much activity day and night. Adams Morgan is a parking nightmare because of the party crowd. There is a police station on 17th & V.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:13 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
I got off at the U Street station a couple weeks ago when I was in DC. I had to stop at the DC Fire Dept Headquarters for a meeting to get my background check started. When I got off there were people EVERYWHERE. It wasn't as crowded as downtown, but A LOT more people than I expected. One time I got off near SHAW over the summer because I wanted to see a different area. I didn't know anything about it. I didn't feel unsafe it all. No one even looked at me weird.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 7,122 times
Hi Coaster122, I was wondering if you ended up taking the apartment in Adams Morgan, and what your experiences were? I am considering an apartment in pretty much the same place.

I.e. Was it safe? noisy? convenient to the metro (esp. in winter)?

Thank you!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:21 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Sometimes I wonder why there are so many threads on safety. Not to say that that shouldn't be a concern, but it seems like there's been a "safety" thread on every neighborhood in the entire city, particularly Adams Morgan. Is the OP from a suburb or from a small town? I'm just curious.

It's always funny to see posts that say things like "Oh, the neighborhood near Howard is terrible!" or "12th and T! No way!!" Do these people expect to live in a city and never EVER have a mugging or a car break-in occur? Some of the characterizations of DC's neighborhoods border on the sensational.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:28 PM

339 posts, read 836,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster112 View Post
I was told the Adams Morgan, Mount Pleasant, Dupont area is nice and safe. I am thinking about an apartment on New Hampshire Ave and V St. between 16 and 15th street. I hear Shaw is bad and 14th street is not safe. Is this a good area where my apartment will be? Is the U Street/African American Civil War Mem. Metro station safe near there? Also any recommendations for apartment complexes in Adams Morgan, Woodley Park, Mount Pleasant Area? I am new to the area.
Google "MS 13"

Old 07-22-2010, 04:44 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
Google "MS 13"
nice....I love my central america based gangs...

that area is going thru a transformation right now. Yes you are safe for the most part but use common sense like don't walk at night by yourself, don't walk with a purse, and try not to look like a foreigner or tourist. Yes people do get mugged in that area.....

Old 07-22-2010, 04:57 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
MS13 is outsourcing a lot of it's smaller jobs to the Asian gangs now.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:03 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Gangs aren't really an issue at all in DC. Certainly not as much as in LA or Chicago.

Adams Morgan is pretty safe, try not to bump into the drunks on weekends. It's quiet most of the week, but on weekends be prepared to stay up late due to all the idiots hootin and hollerin and getting into fights.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:11 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,621,549 times
Shaw is kinda eefy. I spend a lot of time there, both day and night, and I could see how some people might feel unsafe there, especially women at night. The whole area along 9th from the Convention Center up to U Street has a few more years to go before I would consider it worry free.There was a drive by along 9th I believe the other week (in daylight) and a few guys I know have been mugged walking in that area at night. Yeah, I know crime is everywhere and everyone should practice street smarts, but I don't get that same feeling or hear similar stories about 14th Street or in Adams Morgan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC