Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,597,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
14th I don't think you even read the post I was replying to. The point is, muggings are still occurring in hyped, over-priced areas like C. Heights, now, in 2010. If so many posters have to ask "is it safe", then that means it's not that safe. There is a reason they're asking that question.
Your post implied that muggings are "the norm" in Columbia Heights. They're not, and it's nothing short of fear-mongering to assert otherwise. Nor has anyone here implied that people should "accept" being mugged. Again, no one has made that assertion. What people *have* stated, multiple times, is that in any urban area--and this includes San Francisco and Manhattan--crimes will occur, and that vigilance is important.

Posters here, and elsewhere, have been very upfront and honest about Columbia Heights and its current incarnation. If you feel otherwise, then I welcome you to point to specific comments you feel are misleading and/or dishonest, rather than resorting to broad declarations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:43 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,422,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Your post implied that muggings are "the norm" in Columbia Heights. They're not, and it's nothing short of fear-mongering to assert otherwise. Nor has anyone here implied that people should "accept" being mugged. Again, no one has made that assertion. What people *have* stated, multiple times, is that in any urban area--and this includes San Francisco and Manhattan--crimes will occur, and that vigilance is important.

Posters here, and elsewhere, have been very upfront and honest about Columbia Heights and its current incarnation. If you feel otherwise, then I welcome you to point to specific comments you feel are misleading and/or dishonest, rather than resorting to broad declarations.
I do not think it is the norm, but it is occurring more than should be for paying stratospheric C. Heights rents/condo prices. BajanYankee implies that people need to just "get over" the fact that they will be mugged and accept it. My point is that mugging involves physical injury, and why should ppl put up with that when they're paying insane rents? You yourself said people need to be careful in C.H., in another post. Are you climbing down from that statement now?

Old 08-04-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I do not think it is the norm, but it is occurring more than should be for paying stratospheric C. Heights rents/condo prices.
I think Col. Heights, in general, is overpriced, and have been saying that for years--and not just because of the crime. I just think there are better neighborhoods one could live in at a comparable cost. But, then again, the price is what the price is--prices have been rising there for too long to claim that it's merely a bubble. Still, I wouldn't drop $600-$700k on a townhome there.

Quote:
BajanYankee implies that people need to just "get over" the fact that they will be mugged and accept it.
I don't want to speak for Bajan, but nowhere in his post did he say people need to "get over" being mugged. Here's what he *did* say:

Quote:
Do these people expect to live in a city and never EVER have a mugging or a car break-in occur? Some of the characterizations of DC's neighborhoods border on the sensational.
There is a tremendous difference between an urban neighborhood completely devoid of crime--which does not exist--and an urban neighborhood rife with crime. Expressing a concern that Columbia Heights is not the former is simply being unrealistic; stating that it is the latter is, to quote Bajan, being sensationalistic.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I think Col. Heights, in general, is overpriced, and have been saying that for years--and not just because of the crime. I just think there are better neighborhoods one could live in at a comparable cost. But, then again, the price is what the price is--prices have been rising there for too long to claim that it's merely a bubble. Still, I wouldn't drop $600-$700k on a townhome there.

I don't want to speak for Bajan, but nowhere in his post did he say people need to "get over" being mugged. Here's what he *did* say:

There is a tremendous difference between an urban neighborhood completely devoid of crime--which does not exist--and an urban neighborhood rife with crime. Expressing a concern that Columbia Heights is not the former is simply being unrealistic; stating that it is the latter is, to quote Bajan, being sensationalistic.
Bajan has a very distorted idea of what neighborhood safety means. In other posts he states that because he went to a store in far southeast or trinidad., bought a pack of mints and then got back in his car and drove away without being assaulted, killed, that makes the area safe. That's the same logic as stating that if a congressman does a photo op in Afghanistan and then gets on a helicopter and leaves, it must be safe to live there. He doesn't understand that stopping in a store or visiting people he knows in an area does not mean that area is safe to live 100% of the time.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:15 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,762,000 times
Quote:
I do not think it is the norm, but it is occurring more than should be for paying stratospheric C. Heights rents/condo prices. BajanYankee implies that people need to just "get over" the fact that they will be mugged and accept it. My point is that mugging involves physical injury, and why should ppl put up with that when they're paying insane rents? You yourself said people need to be careful in C.H., in another post. Are you climbing down from that statement now?
It's time to come clean stars99/Orlando - when was the last time you stepped foot in Columbia Heights? You have avoided addressing this issue all along and have continued to offer lies to people making major decisions just to grind your ax about a DC that no longer exists.

Based on your $185 rent story and claim that a Cheesecake Factory exists in that hood, I put your last visit circa 1995 at the latest. Your claims are based on internet research and others' posts - just like Orlando.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's time to come clean stars99/Orlando - when was the last time you stepped foot in Columbia Heights? You have avoided addressing this issue all along and have continued to offer lies to people making major decisions just to grind your ax about a DC that no longer exists.

Based on your $185 rent story and claim that a Cheesecake Factory exists in that hood, I put your last visit circa 1995 at the latest. Your claims are based on internet research and others' posts - just like Orlando.
Your hall monitor routine is boring. You seem to gang up on other people here, sometimes driving away posters like Tech2Enable. My posts are very nuanced, but would you ever admit there are crime and other problems in DC? Or is it all about boosting property values.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Bajan has a very distorted idea of what neighborhood safety means. In other posts he states that because he went to a store in far southeast or trinidad., bought a pack of mints and then got back in his car and drove away without being assaulted, killed, that makes the area safe.
Regardless of what he may/may not have said (and considering your outright distortions of his comments in this thread, I harbor serious doubts about what he claimed with regards to safety far southeast in the comments which you reference), that's no excuse for your continued distortions and obfuscations regarding the safety and crime present in DC neighborhoods. Particularly when it is abundantly clear that you know not of which you speak.

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll ask again: posters here have been very upfront and honest about Columbia Heights and its current incarnation. If you feel otherwise, then I welcome you to point to specific comments you feel are misleading and/or dishonest, rather than resorting to broad declarations.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:07 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,474,020 times
Quote:
Your hall monitor routine is boring. You seem to gang up on other people here, sometimes driving away posters like Tech2Enable. My posts are very nuanced, but would you ever admit there are crime and other problems in DC? Or is it all about boosting property values.
If nuace is distorting other's posts, and derailing threads with unsubstatiated semantic BS that only has relevance in your uninformed fantasy of DC, then yes, your posts are nuanced.

I'm only posting this because your post has brought down my property value by $.03, of course, because that makes sense and doesn't sound crazy at all.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Regardless of what he may/may not have said (and considering your outright distortions of his comments in this thread, I harbor serious doubts about what he claimed with regards to safety far southeast in the comments which you reference),
https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...l#post14388484

Old 08-04-2010, 12:23 PM

32,261 posts, read 35,038,052 times
Quote:
Bajan has a very distorted idea of what neighborhood safety means. In other posts he states that because he went to a store in far southeast or trinidad., bought a pack of mints and then got back in his car and drove away without being assaulted, killed, that makes the area safe. That's the same logic as stating that if a congressman does a photo op in Afghanistan and then gets on a helicopter and leaves, it must be safe to live there. He doesn't understand that stopping in a store or visiting people he knows in an area does not mean that area is safe to live 100% of the time.
You missed the point. The point of that post was to show that Washington, DC is not the bad-ass warzone that many profess it to be. The point was NOT that the neighborhood was safe. Those are two distinct concepts.

Anyway, there's no point in reopening that can of worms called the "Way Down in the Ghettos of DC" thread. I don't much appreciate having an inbox full of threats and challenges to fight at random DC street corners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC