Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:54 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times

Advertisements

68 violent crimes within 1000 feet of 17th and Euclid over the past year, according to crimemap.dc.gov. If you want to pretend that is "no more crime than any other intersection in DC" then you are just in denial.
I plugged in some other intersections at random to prove my point.
17th and S st NW - 29 violent crimes
13th and Euclid St NW - 13 violent crimes
5th St NW and Florida Ave NW - 50 violent crimes
I could go on and on but clearly it is just empirically wrong to say that 17th and Euclid has the same amount of crime than any intersection. There are intersections that have more crime than it, but it also has more crime than many intersections.

Again, stop putting words into my mouth. I never said I "don't want any crime in my neighborhood." I've never even said I wouldn't live near 17th and Euclid. I live in DC in a neighborhood where I am well aware crime goes on and I live there quite happily. BajanYankee has created this false assumption in his/her mind about me completely not based on anything I've written.
I've only tried to provide the facts about the safety of the neighborhood so the OP can make up his or her own mind. Other posters here seem allergic to facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 08:00 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
68 violent crimes within 1000 feet of 17th and Euclid over the past year, according to crimemap.dc.gov. If you want to pretend that is "no more crime than any other intersection in DC" then you are just in denial.
I plugged in some other intersections at random to prove my point.
17th and S st NW - 29 violent crimes
13th and Euclid St NW - 13 violent crimes
5th St NW and Florida Ave NW - 50 violent crimes
I could go on and on but clearly it is just empirically wrong to say that 17th and Euclid has the same amount of crime than any intersection. There are intersections that have more crime than it, but it also has more crime than many intersections.

Again, stop putting words into my mouth. I never said I "don't want any crime in my neighborhood." I've never even said I wouldn't live near 17th and Euclid. I live in DC in a neighborhood where I am well aware crime goes on and I live there quite happily. BajanYankee has created this false assumption in his/her mind about me completely not based on anything I've written.
I've only tried to provide the facts about the safety of the neighborhood so the OP can make up his or her own mind. Other posters here seem allergic to facts.
Maybe I ran this search wrong, but I got totally different numbers. This says that there have been a total of 7 violent crimes within 1000 feet of that intersection within the past year.

http://crimemap.dc.gov/presentation/report.asp (broken link)

This is what it says at the top of the page:

"Crimes that occurred within 1000 feet of 17TH STREET NW AND EUCLID STREET NW"

Am I missing something?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 AM

7 violent crimes comes up if you search for crime within 1000 feet in the last 30 days. If you change the date to "One Year," you get 68.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:26 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
homicides, assaults with guns, and robberies with guns, are all trending down it seems

Old 09-02-2011, 08:37 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
homicides, assaults with guns, and robberies with guns, are all trending down it seems
Here are some statistics to that effect (though it does note there's been a spike this year in property crimes):

January-June: D.C. Property Crime Up 8%, Violent Crime Down 7%*|*Borderstan

However, I would think concerns about violent crime weigh more heavily on the minds of prospective residents than concerns about shoplifting and stolen bikes, so the trends are generally favorable.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:43 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
7 violent crimes comes up if you search for crime within 1000 feet in the last 30 days. If you change the date to "One Year," you get 68.
Yep.

And somehow the OP's question is getting turned into "I don't want any crime in my neighborhood." No one in this thread is saying that. There's a recognition that living in the middle of a dense, urban city is going to bring a certain inherent risk of being a victim of crime. I doubt that anyone would be looking to move to a neighborhood such as Adams Morgan if they had a zero-lvel tolerance for crime of any kind.

So the whole "people don't want any crime at all" is a strawman argument. What *I* want to know is why there seems to be a refusal from some to recognize that some streets/corners/intersections have a higher rate of criminal activitiy than others. Is the suggestion that crime is evenly dispersed throughout the entire neighborhood or city? Again, no one is claiming that Adams Morgan isn't a safe neighborhood. But if that's the neighborhood you have selected to move to, the intersection of 17th and Euclid remains one of the more problematic in the area. It has been for years, and continues to be. Unless someone else is privy to statistics that I am not, I'm not really seeing how that is a debateable point.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:48 AM

368 posts, read 539,076 times
Just for comparison:
14th and Columbia had a total of 90 violent crimes within 1000 feet over the same period.
18th and Columbia had a total of 81 violent crimes within 1000 feet over the same period.
13th and U had a total of 97 violent crimes within 1000 feet over the same period.
So 17th and Euclid is safer than the heart of all of the surrounding neighborhoods (Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan, and U Street).

Yes, it's a more dangerous area than Dupont or some other areas, but it's simply wrong to say that 17th and Euclid is somehow more dangerous than the areas immediately around it. I also realize this doesn't take population density in account, and is only looking at raw number of crimes, and I realize that just looking at crimes over the past year is not the best way to determine the "safety" of an area.

One more thing: stateofnature, I'm not sure how you got only 13 violent crimes at 13th and Euclid NW. I get 45 within 1000 feet of that intersection over the past year (9/1/2010-2011). This is the closest relevant area you mentioned, so I thought I'd point that out.

Last edited by shivtim; 09-02-2011 at 10:02 AM..

Old 09-02-2011, 10:00 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
It's simply wrong to say that 17th and Euclid is somehow more dangerous than the areas around it.
Raw numbers only tell part of the story, you also need to examine the amount of pedestrian traffic and, generally speaking, how many people are in or around a given area. Columbia, 18th and 14th are all major arteries that lead to and from popular neighborhoods and destinations, whereas neither 17th nor Euclid falls under that category. There are likely many more people travelling through 14th, 18th and/or Columbia at any given time than at 17th and Euclid, which is aresidential in nature.

For example, head just one block south on 17th street and the one year violent crime figures drop to 62. Head three blocks west to 19th and Biltmore, and the number of violent crimes plummets to 33. Head a couple of blocks north to Quarry Rd and Lanier Place, and it drops to 54.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Exactly. If you don't want any crime in your neighborhood, I recommend Concord, New Hampshire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Just for comparison:
14th and Columbia had a total of 90 violent crimes within 1000 feet over the same period.
18th and Columbia had a total of 81 violent crimes within 1000 feet over the same period.
So 17th and Euclid is safer than the heart of the two surrounding neighborhoods (Columbia Heights and Adams Morgan).

Yes, it's a more dangerous area than Dupont or some other areas, but It's simply wrong to say that 17th and Euclid is somehow more dangerous than the areas immediately around it.

Also stateofnature, I'm not sure how you got only 13 violent crimes at 13th and Euclid NW. I get 45 within 1000 feet of that intersection over the past year (9/1/2010-2011). This is the closest relevant area you mentioned, so I thought I'd point that out.
Apples and oranges comparison. 18th and Columbia is a busy commercial intersection and 14th and Columbia is a block south of the metro. That means a lot more people around, so more people to be victims of crime. While 17th and Euclid is very close to commercial stuff, it's mainly residential.
A better comparison would be 17th and Euclid compared to another residential intersection in Adams Morgan.

But I actually agree that 17th and Euclid is not necessarily worse than other parts of Adams Morgan. I never said otherwise, but some other posters have suggested that.

I made a mistake on 13th and Euclid. I probably meant to write another intersection, but I don't remember now. Still, 45 is less than 68 so the point stands.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:08 AM

368 posts, read 539,076 times
^I agree, but you can't cherry pick one minute and say the numbers support your argument that 17th and Euclid is particularly dangerous, and then backtrack in the next post and say you can't trust the numbers because they don't take into account pedestrian traffic and density.

My point is that the stats from the PD don't support the theory that 17th and Euclid is particularly more dangerous than the surrounding area.

[edit: this post was in response to 14thandYou, but it also applies to stateofnature's post. I think we pretty much agree on this... there is anecdotal evidence that 17th and Euclid is more dangerous, but using crime data it's hard to support that hypothesis because the data doesn't include density, street use, etc]

Last edited by shivtim; 09-02-2011 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC