Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 03:41 PM

14,831 posts, read 12,107,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Finding a great grandmother who originally came from Ireland or a distant ancestor who was a Hugenot immigrant in the 18th century isn't the same as in the US where the typical American probably has half a dozen or even more different national origins among his/her ancestors, and that's just going back a few generations.

The overwhelming majority of native born white Britons are descended from people who resided in the British Isles for hundreds and hundreds of years. If you can prove you have a Norman or Viking ancestor that's going back a thousand years of continual residence in one island.
Again I think you underestimate how mixed an average Briton is, like with Dizzy just about every one of my friends (the people I know well) have some forefather or ancestor of family member from somewhere other than England Scotland or Wales, if you go back 20 generations you have over a million direct ancestors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 05:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,690,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Again I think you underestimate how mixed an average Briton is, like with Dizzy just about every one of my friends (the people I know well) have some forefather or ancestor of family member from somewhere other than England Scotland or Wales, if you go back 20 generations you have over a million direct ancestors!
so <1% of your ancestry is from another country? That's not really mixed at all. It'd be more remarkable if there was no whatsoever, as long as there were small movements of people you'd get some small ancestry from elsewhere.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:34 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,736,881 times
How ethnic and religious groups in England identify, English, British, other, etc.

http://www.ethnicity.ac.uk/census/Co...s-Briefing.pdf

Old 10-31-2013, 05:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,690,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
How ethnic and religious groups in England identify, English, British, other, etc.

http://www.ethnicity.ac.uk/census/Co...s-Briefing.pdf
Yea, it seems like they don't do the hyphenated style identities common in the US.

Seems like minorities like "British" more than "English". Interesting.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:05 PM

"British" I suppose is more of a civic identity and probably seems more inclusive. But white descendants of immigrants adopt an English identity. Most English Jews are descended from late 19th century/early 20th century immigration and are third and fourth generation and are identifying as "just English" at this point. A significant proportion of people in England are of Irish ancestry but only about 1% identify as Irish in the census.

ethnicity.ac.uk - Facts and figures about ethnic difference and inequality in the UK

Old 10-31-2013, 09:00 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,039,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
I'm aware of the small number of Italians who moved to Scotland. They opened several wonderful groceries in Edinburgh.

But I wouldn't quite say "lots" of people in Scotland with Italian origins. If you google search it the estimate is between 35,000 to 100,000 people in Scotland that have some Italian heritage, out of a population of 5+ million.
100,000 people would fill a small city or very large town. I'd call that lots. And they're all Scottish. Bear in mind too that I selected only one group of people. Plenty more from other places although I'll admit fewer than London. I well remember a little girl I viewed as Chinese tell me in a thick Glasgwegian accent that she was nothing of the sort.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:40 AM

The largest Irish-born populations in the UK in 1871 were:

London 91,000 (2.8%)
Liverpool 77,000 (15.6%)
Glasgow 68,000 (14.3%)
Manchester 34,000 (9.0%)

Which means Liverpool and Glasgow were probably one quarter to one third Irish origin. While London's proportion was low, this is of course due to its "headstart" as a big city. London had more Irish immigrants than Boston did and had the second largest Irish immigrant population after NYC at the time. And of course, later Irish immigration was more directed towards London.

Last edited by King of Kensington; 11-01-2013 at 01:38 AM..

Old 11-01-2013, 04:58 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,942,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
No, I think you overestimate the effect of immigration in the British isles. 87% of the country was White British in the 2011 census.

Maybe down in that southern portion of England where you live most people have foreign ancestry but definitely not anywhere else.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Since I got my first computer 14 years ago Ive take more of an interest in my geneology, its fascinating and over the years its got so much better with all the online information... I have enjoyed finding cousins in Ireland and NI over the years and even found my half siblings in England. at the moment Im trying badly to research my Spanish grandparents.. so yes us in the UK do find this as interesting as in the US Id think...
I think we are starting to get an interest as time goes on and as more resources become available.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think you're reading a lot into this. I have never met an American who was "desperate to put a label on themselves."

Don't confuse "interest" with "desperation."

Maybe it's hard for some people to relate to a people who KNOW that their ancestry is NOT from the country in which they live. Or maybe they don't know much at all about their family history past a generation or two. Where were these ancestors from? What experiences and cultures shaped their values and habits - family sayings, traditions, foods, religion, likes and dislikes? Many people (not just Americans) are curious about their ancestors, but Americans often don't have the luxury of centuries of documented births, baptisms, marriages and deaths at their fingertips. Many of our histories "start" rather abruptly at a port of entry a few generations back.

I don't think it's weird or desperate to be curious about where those people came from.
Well tbh hes right. Americans always say 'i'm Irish' or 'i'm Scottish' which is putting a label on yourself. We do not do that here in the British isles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom