Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,502,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well tbh hes right. Americans always say 'i'm Irish' or 'i'm Scottish' which is putting a label on yourself. We do not do that here in the British isles.
Are you kidding me?

Americans are not "always saying" they're Irish or Scottish unless the topic is ancestry. Or if it's St Paddy's day - on that day, everyone's Irish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 05:37 AM

10,225 posts, read 18,009,632 times
Quote:
Well tbh hes right. Americans always say 'i'm Irish' or 'i'm Scottish' which is putting a label on yourself. We do not do that here in the British isles.
You may not but I know many who do - my English husband calls himself half-Irish and I know an English born man who has Scottish ancestry so he calls himself Scottish when the topic of heritage comes up.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:50 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,037,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Are you kidding me?

Americans are not "always saying" they're Irish or Scottish unless the topic is ancestry. Or if it's St Paddy's day - on that day, everyone's Irish.
Go to Liverpool (Britain's Boston) and you'll see a plethora of people with Irish ancestry who still consider themselves Irish.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,765,156 times
Quote:
No, I think you overestimate the effect of immigration in the British isles. 87% of the country was White British in the 2011 census.

Maybe down in that southern portion of England where you live most people have foreign ancestry but definitely not anywhere else.
Try reading his post. He's referring to generations back, not current immigration.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The difference is that many Americans appear to be desperate to put labels on themselves. For example, Irish-American or Scots-American. I don't think Brits are all that interested in the labels.

I enjoyed tracing my family tree back. It was very interesting and I was able to find a whole bunch of second cousins who I didn't know existed. We even did a second cousins reunion. But it is done now. I pretty much know where I came from. Time to look to the future.
Plenty of Americans have little interest in their family tree or what their ancestors were doing. However, most will be aware of where their ancestors came from, and will refer to it if asked. Many (probably most) don't care all that deeply about it, and the hyphenated is the usual convention.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:18 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,988,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
Go to Liverpool (Britain's Boston) and you'll see a plethora of people with Irish ancestry who still consider themselves Irish.
Yes, we see the same thing in Glasgow. Some Irish don't seem to want to assimilate in the same way that other immigrants do.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:50 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,966,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You may not but I know many who do - my English husband calls himself half-Irish and I know an English born man who has Scottish ancestry so he calls himself Scottish when the topic of heritage comes up.
Well yes I do know those people but they are a different case. Anyone in the British isles that I have met who have discussed their ancestry have always based it on their parents who were born in another country.

The americans are basing their ancestry from 300 years ago. Its kind of like me saying oh i'm Scottish when I have absolutely no connection to Scotland at all.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:51 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,966,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Are you kidding me?

Yes they are. When I watch american shows, I always see folk saying 'oh shes jewish' or 'shes swedish'.

And when I was on holiday, this was a regular occurrence.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:

The americans are basing their ancestry from 300 years ago. Its kind of like me saying oh i'm Scottish when I have absolutely no connection to Scotland at all.
It's often far less, maybe 100 years ago. People of my parent's generation often had a grandparent who was born in another country or at least spoke a second language. The ones whose ancestry is from 300 years ago generally don't mention it much if at all.

I do have a friend who does think of his ancestry as "German" and his family has been in the country for 300 years, but until 100 years ago his family was speaking German.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:07 PM

10,225 posts, read 18,009,632 times
Quote:
Well yes I do know those people but they are a different case. Anyone in the British isles that I have met who have discussed their ancestry have always based it on their parents who were born in another country.

The americans are basing their ancestry from 300 years ago.
Says who? My Italian ancestors immigrated in 1912, not that long ago when you consider that half of my family members still alive today personally knew and remember these immigrants. I have collected many first hand accounts from living ancestors about my immigrant relatives, memories which are important to them and therefore to me as well.

Quote:
Its kind of like me saying oh i'm Scottish when I have absolutely no connection to Scotland at all.
I don't think you fully understand the influences immigration in America had and still has. But that's okay, a lot of British people don't because the UK didn't experience it the way America did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom