Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 04:28 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times

Advertisements

Not sure how many on here are from the U.K. but i've always wondered what the British of today think about the Revolutionary War in the Colonies in the late 1700's.

I imagine most in the USA thought/think it was great to break away as it allowed us to form what we know as our country today.

But how do the people today in the U.K. think about it. Was it good or bad for that to have happen? Whats your thoughts on King George III ? What do you think of the British Military Generals like Howe and Cornwallis?

How were you taught about it in your school years by your teachers there ?...

Any thoughts !

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 02-20-2008 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 08:00 AM

594 posts, read 1,779,409 times
Default British View of the Revolutionary War

6 ft 3,

Since no one has posted a reply on this subject, I'll write a few lines. I can't offer anything from the current British view, but having recently read David McCullough's fine book "1776," I can offer a view as a reader. I doubt that the average Englishman or American today gives much thought to America's struggle for independence. It's just accepted as a fact. But even as a life-long reader of history, I was impressed with what I learned from reading McCullough's book.

As expected, there were opposing views in England when the rebels in America suggested separation. And there is no doubt about the fact that they were revolutionaries.There were heated discussions in England on both sides. When Lord Sandwich of the House of Lords was asked about the chances of Britain winning a war in America, he replied "Suppose the colonies do abound in men, what does that signify? They are raw, undisciplined, cowardly men" There was a feeling among some English gentry that these upstarts in the American colonies were rabble. Too, I don't think we can appreciate how many people in the American colonies were still loyal to the king. So much so, that many of the Loyalists or Tories, gave up their homes and businesses and moved to Canada and elsewhere rather than stay in the rebellious colonies.

"But in striking contrast several of the most powerful speakers in Parliament, like the flamboyant Lord Mayor of London, John Wilkes, and the leading Whig intellectual, Edmund Burke, had voiced ardent support for and admiration for the Americans." I'm sure the coffee houses of London fairly buzzed with the news of the colonies' challenge to the most powerful nation on earth.

When the war of independence started, few would have ever thought it would be successful. Even George Washington must have had times of private doubts. At first he had nothing but disdain for the New England recruits he had to work with. As time went on, though, his view changed. The difficulties he faced in getting good recruits seemed insurmountable. Sometimes more men left the army than were coming in.

There were at least two unlikely candidates for stardom in Washington's command. One was Henry Knox, an obese bookseller, from Massachusetts and Nathanial Greene, a Quaker. Knox's resourcefulness and feats became the stuff of legend. When Washington needed to have more firepower to mount over the heights of Boston, Knox proposed retrieving the Cannon captured by Eathan Allen's men at Ticonderoga.

It was an audacious plan, but Washington approved. Knox, with several hundred men, set out in the dead of winter for Ticonderoga. There they fashioned sleds or sledges and loaded 59 cannon and mortars, 60 tons in all, and struck out for Boston with eighty yoke of oxen. It was an incredible move, dogged by hardships under terrible weather conditions. It required fording many rivers and scaling many hills until they finally arrived in Boston. It certainly belongs in the annals of great military feats and proved effective in making the British army leave Boston.

I wanted to leave one paragraph from the book 1776 with some startling facts:
"The war was a longer, far more arduous, and painful struggle than later generations would understand or appreciate. By the time it ended, it had taken the lives of an estimated 25,000 Americans, or roughly 1 percent of the population. In percentage of lives lost, it was the most costly war in American history, except for the Civil War."

Old 02-21-2008, 11:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Well, I'm not from the UK. But I imagine they thought, at the time, that we were the worst sort of traitors.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:46 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
Thanks for the responses guys.....but im curious as to what todays Brit thinks. Look at the Mexican/American war as the United States took land from Mexico after they lost the war and to this day many Mexicans hold animosity towards the U.S. over that so i was curious if any Brits felt that way or maybe it happened so long ago most could care less.

6/3

Old 02-22-2008, 02:14 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Not sure how many on here are from the U.K. but i've always wondered what the British of today think about the Revolutionary War in the Colonies in the late 1700's.

I imagine most in the USA thought/think it was great to break away as it allowed us to form what we know as our country today.

But how do the people today in the U.K. think about it. Was it good or bad for that to have happen? Whats your thoughts on King George III ? What do you think of the British Military Generals like Howe and Cornwallis?

How were you taught about it in your school years by your teachers there ?...

Any thoughts !

Most history lessons in school today are about WWII, and how wonderful Britain's history is, spreading democracy throughout the world etc I honestly don't think that the American Revolutionary war was taught in my school I don't think that people here really have an opinion, or even care about the Revolutionary war.. they just accept the US for what it is (IMO). I don't know much about George III accept that he was King at the time, and lost his marbles as well as the colonies.

Anyway, I think it was a great achievement, being vastly weaker and more disorganised than the British army. Thomas Paine wrote many a 'pamphlet' on the necessity to break away from British rule, and his writings were truely visionary.

I personally love visiting the US and enjoy its history. My wife is from Chicago, and I have been all over, including Boston. It is important to remember the role played by France in defeating the British (as well as other European nations), as this is often forgotton.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:54 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Most history lessons in school today are about WWII, and how wonderful Britain's history is, spreading democracy throughout the world etc I honestly don't think that the American Revolutionary war was taught in my school I don't think that people here really have an opinion, or even care about the Revolutionary war.. they just accept the US for what it is (IMO). I don't know much about George III accept that he was King at the time, and lost his marbles as well as the colonies.
I agree with you Ian - I'm sorry to admit that I know pretty much nothing about it at all. It was never touched on at school and I never hear people mention it (not in a "don't mention the war!" sort of way, just in a nobody-really-cares sort of way.)

Good on you all really, why shouldn't America be independent?

One thing I do know is that deeply I'm ashamed of the way this country stomped about sticking flags all over the place and trying to "civilise" any natives.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:30 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,596,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post

One thing I do know is that deeply I'm ashamed of the way this country stomped about sticking flags all over the place and trying to "civilise" any natives.
Which country?? There were far more than England involved. It`s never bothered me. I don`t go in for all that `Sins of the Fathers` stuff.
Anyway on a lighter note this was the best thing to come out of it for me,,

YouTube - The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Boston Tea Party

Old 02-22-2008, 08:31 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Which country?? There were far more than England involved. It`s never bothered me. I don`t go in for all that `Sins of the Fathers` stuff.
Anyway on a lighter note this was the best thing to come out of it for me,,

YouTube - The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Boston Tea Party
There may well have been far more than England involved but we were still a part of it. Beating up a kid in the playground isn't OK just because other people were doing it. Every time I read anything about it the whole attitude people had at the time makes me incredibly angry.

I should probably be more chilled about it as it's not doing my blood pressure any good.

This is a great poem from e e cummings. Similar theme:

e.e.cummings
(1894-1962)

ygUDuh
ygUDuh
ydoan
yunnuhstan
ydoan o
yunnuhstand dem
yguduh ged
yunnuhstan dem doidee
yguduh ged riduh
ydoan o nudn
LISN bud LISN
dem
gud
am
lidl yelluh bas
tuds weer goin

duhSIVILEYEzum

Old 02-22-2008, 08:38 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,596,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post

I should probably be more chilled about it as it's not doing my blood pressure any good.

This is a great poem from e e cummings. Similar theme:

e.e.cummings
(1894-1962)

ygUDuh
ygUDuh
ydoan
yunnuhstan
ydoan o
yunnuhstand dem
yguduh ged
yunnuhstan dem doidee
yguduh ged riduh
ydoan o nudn
LISN bud LISN
dem
gud
am
lidl yelluh bas
tuds weer goin

duhSIVILEYEzum
Yeah take a pill Never mind, it`s Friday.
What language is that?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Yeah take a pill Never mind, it`s Friday.
What language is that?
Colonial Read it phonetically.

It's nearly home time! Yay! Time to hit the road

Last edited by RH1; 02-22-2008 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom