Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 02:08 PM

10,225 posts, read 18,016,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Yes they are. When I watch american shows, I always see folk saying 'oh shes jewish' or 'shes swedish'.

And when I was on holiday, this was a regular occurrence.
Yes, in reference to their ancestry, not their nationality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 02:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,776,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Says who? My Italian ancestors immigrated in 1912, not that long ago when you consider that half of my family members still alive today personally knew and remember these immigrants. I have collected many first hand accounts from living ancestors about my immigrant relatives, memories which are important to them and therefore to me as well.
yes, that was rather absurd. where'd he get 300 years from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yes, in reference to their ancestry, not their nationality.
It seems like British posters confuse the two and think Americans are refering to nationality.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:05 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,936,224 times
[quote=non-creep;32045504]Go to Liverpool (Britain's Boston) and you'll see a plethora of people with Irish ancestry who still consider themselves
That's right, I was very aware of that when I lived near Liverpool in the 60's.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:57 AM

10,225 posts, read 18,016,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It seems like British posters confuse the two and think Americans are refering to nationality.
Oh, I suspect they know we're technically talking about our ancestry and not our nationality but I think possibly it's more difficult for some of them to separate the two. I think part of the problem is that since a lot of British people don't have foreign ancestry outside the UK (apart from Ireland), their heritage and nationality are, to them, the same thing. I don't think some British people really understand the immigrant culture and it's legacy in America and instead of attempting to understand it, they mock it and say derogatory things about Americas who celebrate their immigrant legacy.

I also forgot to mention when I was talking about my Italian ancestors that most of my family is actually eligible for Italian citizenship through our ancestry and my dad is in the process of collecting all the documents needed to apply for his.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 PM

934 posts, read 1,135,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Brits also Emphasize about their norman, viking and anglo-saxon ancestry, the same way americans emphasize how much british and specially germand and Irish they are (the most overstated ethnicities by far).

Many brits cant simply say they are english, scottish or welsh without having to mention they think they have important norman, viking, etc ancestry. The same way can be said by americans claiming certain nationalities they are not.

Can you give an example of Americans claiming certain nationalities that they are not? I know Americans claim their heritage, but I don't find that people falsely claim heritage. Except one. I cannot tell you how many people I've met who tell me they are related to Pocohantus.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,502,925 times
Quote:
Well yes I do know those people but they are a different case. Anyone in the British isles that I have met who have discussed their ancestry have always based it on their parents who were born in another country.

The americans are basing their ancestry from 300 years ago. Its kind of like me saying oh i'm Scottish when I have absolutely no connection to Scotland at all.
I don't think you really get it. Americans whose families have been here for generations identify as Americans - they only mention their ancestry if the topic of conversation IS ancestry. Of course, if they are in the UK or talking with someone from the UK, they may bring up the topic...sort of as a conversation starter. But please don't assume just because they're engaging in small talk with someone from the UK, that this is how they self identify.

I think the confusion may come from just such conversations. We Americans are a friendly bunch. If we hear someone talking with an accent, we're likely to ask where they're from. If they say they're from a country where our ancestors hail from, we're very likely to say, "Hey, I'm part (fill in the blank)!" But we're being friendly - we don't seriously consider ourselves to be BRITISH (or whatever).

Old 11-05-2013, 07:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,502,925 times
Quote:
Yes they are. When I watch american shows, I always see folk saying 'oh shes jewish' or 'shes swedish'.

And when I was on holiday, this was a regular occurrence.
All I can say is that we're definitely watching different shows.

However, "Jewish" isn't a nationality. It's a religion and an ethnicity. If someone says they're Jewish, they're not talking about being from Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom