Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 12:46 PM

142 posts, read 317,155 times

Advertisements

Well, if it doesn't pass, hopefully McDonald's will have 1.8 million openings like all these wags on the yahoo stories keep talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 01:27 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Well, if it doesn't pass, hopefully McDonald's will have 1.8 million openings like all these wags on the yahoo stories keep talking about.
fantastic.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:42 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8B View Post
So, just to verify:

I have already started my Fed Ed extension as I have already run out of all my regular tiers. If nothing is done by December 31 this year, I won't be receiving any more money even though my 20 week of benefits just started?
That is correct. Fed Ed (aka EB) payments end anywhere between Dec. 31 - Jan. 28, depending on state, regardless of remaining balance. In California, Fed-Ed payments end January 7th.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:43 PM

86 posts, read 203,257 times
I know we are all on edge, either due to our own unemployed circumstances or friends and family members in this situation. I am hanging on every comment I see online, in the paper, or in news reports, that give any encouragement for an extension of existing benefits, esp. for those of us into our Tiers and facing cutoffs in the next couple of months or less. I do think that all future unemployed should be given reasonable extensions beyond 26 weeks, requiring work search logs is very reasonable and I think those that are desperate to not lose benefits and face utter devastation would be happy to submit 10 or more detailed searches a week.
I know I am fortunate to have family and a place to live without worrying if I can make the rent or mortgage, at $243 net a week here in TN, which is their maximum, and a personal health insurance policy I have been paying for at a rate of $425 per month, I doubt it would even be possible, I feel so empathetic for those with children, mortgages and related expenses, the stress must be incredible.
We all need to do our best to boost each other’s spirits, I appreciate everyone on this forum for being willing to give advice and share any information that they have learned.
I check this site several times a day for answers to question to which I relate
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 12-15-2011, 03:03 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,300 times
it's a tough call on this one, Ariadne22 is on the ball with her comments more than anyone.

Tough to predict an actual outcome here, not to sound trite, can be anywhere from zero extensions to status quo, 99 weeks max depending on what state you claim in. My guess (correct all I can do is guess at this point) is somewhere in the middle, an extension with reduction in max weeks, like I said before, maybe a year max between 26 weeks of state UI, and Tiers?

No extension would be cruel, 99 weeks with unemployment #'s going down (even if they are inaccurate) is a hard sell for Dems. Problem is they don't want to play nice in the sandbox, especially with major election year coming up, both are jockeying for position to come out the hero

Old 12-15-2011, 04:33 PM

180 posts, read 391,629 times
Well, I just checked my mailbox and got a letter from the Employment Security Department. Basically it just sums up that benefits are coming to an end unless congress extends it. What caught my attention, and this I will type in bold since it answers my previous question .......

Status of congressional action
We do not know if Congress will continue these benefit programs nor whether eligibility requirements would remain the same. If Congress approves legislation that offers you more benefits, we will notify you immediately - there is no need to contact the claims center.

Well that's about as definitive as you can get. Time to seriously look at self employment, at least I'll control my own future!

Old 12-15-2011, 05:53 PM

59 posts, read 104,649 times
Ariadne22 helps a lot, from what I've seen up on here. I like that.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:26 PM

180 posts, read 391,629 times
Reid, Boehner and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) have tentatively agreed to a two-month “backstop” that would extend the payroll tax, unemployment benefits and stop a scheduled cut to doctors’ Medicare reimbursements without adding to the deficit ........

Reid, Boehner working on 2-month backstop in payroll tax fight - TheHill.com

Old 12-15-2011, 06:41 PM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,156 times
More news...

NBC Politics - Optimism growing on deal to avoid federal shutdown

Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 PM

142 posts, read 317,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.S View Post
Reid, Boehner and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) have tentatively agreed to a two-month “backstop” that would extend the payroll tax, unemployment benefits and stop a scheduled cut to doctors’ Medicare reimbursements without adding to the deficit ........

Reid, Boehner working on 2-month backstop in payroll tax fight - TheHill.com
By then the employment numbers probably won't look so "rosy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment