Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 07:27 PM

86 posts, read 203,518 times

Advertisements

I think they should make the decision now, a revisit of this in a couple of months?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 11:48 AM

475 posts, read 650,581 times
Default Stop drinking the Government Koolaid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
33 weeks on top of the standard 26 weeks seems pretty reasonable to me. We're 2.5 years into the "recovery" now - how many weeks were available at this point in previous recoveries?

If the economy falters they can always add more benefits later, but of course none of this affects people who lost their jobs while the economy was actually in recession. If you lost your job in June 2009, the last month of the recession, your benefits have long since expired...
CC, seems like you are being as deceived as millions of other Americans. The recession never ended in June of 2009, despite what the NBER would like us all to believe. I have read multiple articles that logically support the recession as ongoing and that the information/data provided to the contrary are false and overstated (growth in GDP). There is also data that shows how for every dollar paid in unemploment benefits $1.22 is generated in the economy. This leaves me wondering if the GOP is being controlled by groups who do not have American's best interest at heart (Muslims etc.).

I understand that the NBER points to positive growth in GDP but many other studies show that as being overstated by government increasing debt that has given this false growth and when that is taken out of the mix, this Country remains in a recession.

Out of curiosity, are you unemployed CC? Do you support the GOP?

Old 12-16-2011, 12:17 PM

25,607 posts, read 56,701,656 times
Haha - well, Wisconsin just lost another 17,400 private sector jobs, with an additional 1,250 going to Mexico in the next few months, and yet our unemployment rate fell from 7.6% to 7.3%? And, generally, every newspaper account says employers are not planning to hire.

But, somehow state sales and income tax revenues are up. I will say, speaking from personal experience, the WI Dept. of Rev. is like a dog with a bone - they come after you for every red cent.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:55 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,368,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
CC, seems like you are being as deceived as millions of other Americans. The recession never ended in June of 2009, despite what the NBER would like us all to believe. I have read multiple articles that logically support the recession as ongoing and that the information/data provided to the contrary are false and overstated (growth in GDP). There is also data that shows how for every dollar paid in unemploment benefits $1.22 is generated in the economy. This leaves me wondering if the GOP is being controlled by groups who do not have American's best interest at heart (Muslims etc.).

I understand that the NBER points to positive growth in GDP but many other studies show that as being overstated by government increasing debt that has given this false growth and when that is taken out of the mix, this Country remains in a recession.

Out of curiosity, are you unemployed CC? Do you support the GOP?
Yikes - believing the unemployment and GDP growth numbers published by the obama administration makes me a right-wing wacko??? I have no idea how to respond to that.

Am I "unemployed"? It's been right around a month since I last found an opening to apply for, so I'm on the cusp between "unemployed" and "marginally attached". Most of the time I would definitely conform to the definition of "unemployed". (But somehow I suspect you probably reject the validity of the official definition of the term?)

And if some study found that every $1 dropped out of airplanes generated $1.22 of economic activity, would you conclude that our main problem is that we're not dropping enough money out of airplanes?

[Edit] - Oh, I should add that I fully understand that deficit spending artificially inflates GDP growth in a totally unsustainable way. What I don't understand is how that should convince me that even more deficit spending on UE benefits or anything else is a good thing?

Last edited by C.C; 12-16-2011 at 02:01 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 02:14 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,234,548 times
Feinstein plan would preserve unemployment benefits for hardest-hit states

As negotiations continue over President Obama's payroll tax holiday, Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein is floating a proposal to preserve long-term unemployment benefits for residents of California and other hard-hit states that are being targeted for reductions by Republicans.

Under the Republican proposal, jobless benefits would immediately be cut back to a maximum of 79 weeks, with a phase out to 59 weeks in mid-2012 for most states.

Feinstein is proposing to preserve 99 weeks of benefits in states where the unemployment rate is beyond 10%. At least 10 states still have jobless rates in the double-digits, according to the Labor Department...

Feinstein plan would preserve unemployment benefits for hardest-hit states - WPIX

Old 12-16-2011, 02:37 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,368,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
Feinstein plan would preserve unemployment benefits for hardest-hit states

As negotiations continue over President Obama's payroll tax holiday, Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein is floating a proposal to preserve long-term unemployment benefits for residents of California and other hard-hit states that are being targeted for reductions by Republicans.

Under the Republican proposal, jobless benefits would immediately be cut back to a maximum of 79 weeks, with a phase out to 59 weeks in mid-2012 for most states.

Feinstein is proposing to preserve 99 weeks of benefits in states where the unemployment rate is beyond 10%. At least 10 states still have jobless rates in the double-digits, according to the Labor Department...

Feinstein plan would preserve unemployment benefits for hardest-hit states - WPIX
It seems like a no-brainer to me. States like CA that continue their unsustainable spending habits deserve to be bailed out by the states that made the tough decisions to get their spending under control. Isn't that the American way?

Old 12-16-2011, 06:01 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,103,149 times
So is Congress now on recess for the holidays with no decision made?? I don't like the looks of this, my gut feeling starting to change...

Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 PM

131 posts, read 353,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
So is Congress now on recess for the holidays with no decision made?? I don't like the looks of this, my gut feeling starting to change...
Looks like they are working on a 2 month extension so they can revisit it later on. Don't see many details on the specifics though.

Senate leaders reach tentative agreement on payroll tax cuts, Keystone pipeline | Deseret News

Old 12-16-2011, 06:45 PM

6,907 posts, read 22,623,133 times
I found this House Passes Spending Package

I don't see any mention about extending unemployment in this article.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:56 PM

180 posts, read 392,389 times
Well this gets into a little more detail ......

Senate leaders strike short-term deal to extend payroll tax holiday - TheHill.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment