Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2022, 03:21 PM

12,160 posts, read 6,717,634 times

Advertisements

I just checked and Paramount Plus is free for only a week now and you get to binge five episodes of 1886, maybe six if a new one comes this Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 04:28 PM

37,502 posts, read 60,412,769 times
There will be an episode Sunday

Old 01-28-2022, 04:51 PM

12,160 posts, read 6,717,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
I cried.
superb acting but.....
my husband made me spit my water out when he asked one question.
"ok its 1883, where the f did they get those gleaming white straight teeth from?"

that's the 1st thing I noticed when this series started. But because I love the show so much I looked past the blinding teeth.
Yeah, and a couple of the male actors had pierced ear holes…..

Old 01-28-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Yeah, and a couple of the male actors had pierced ear holes…..
It is just funny that Sheridan in his desire to be “authentic” made it a requirement that all the females stopped shaving their legs and underarms (don’t know about any other personal areas) prior to filming because women of that era certainly didn’t shave there…so that when there were shots of Elsa with her arms over her head or the immigrant women being examined for small pox signs they were hirsute.

in fact we see most men weren’t cleans shaven at all and when you see how difficult personal hygiene standards were to maintain, it makes the pearly-white teeth everyone mostly shows even more out of context…

IF people had time they could use charcoal or gunpowder or salt (a premium item though) and a piece of cloth to rub their teeth/gums….they could also use something like a twig shaved to make a brush effect to use on their teeth…sassafras was a bush that was used because it had a pleasant flavor (I have read)…

The Chinese were known to brush their teeth with baby’s urine (as most pure)

But the water most people drank/used could have lot of impurities/minerals because there was no filtration treatment for well or river water but boiling like Sam Elliott warned everyone to do

so likely people had discolored teeth just from mineral ingestion when their mothers were pregnant (and their teeth were budding pre-birth) or they were young and drinking water prior to getting their adult teeth…

I had college roommate (in the early 70s) who grew up in West Texas the home of alkaline water. She had mottled/chalky teeth from the minerals in water they used…

Old 01-28-2022, 06:33 PM

7,425 posts, read 12,856,962 times
Sheridan is walking a fine line between historical authenticity and today's cultural standards for physical attraction. If we're going to find the main characters attractive, they can't deviate too drastically from what we think is beautiful/handsome today. Elsa would probably have been considered too skinny in 1883, and a good-looking male was supposed to be slightly on the chubby side, to indicate that he could afford good food, and afford to feed a family. And bad teeth--sorry, that just doesn't fly! So authenticity is a compromise.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:31 AM

12,858 posts, read 17,016,267 times
Another great episode last night. I love the way these don't feel rushed, the director takes his time showing the grasslands, the scenery.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:36 AM

6,114 posts, read 12,737,931 times
Enjoyed the episode. Interesting to see the workings of a trading post. Loved the connection between Elsa and Sam Elliott character.

Seems like they're trying to give Elsa a new relationship already. Don't love that story line, but such is life.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:02 PM

29,093 posts, read 30,600,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Enjoyed the episode. Interesting to see the workings of a trading post. Loved the connection between Elsa and Sam Elliott character.

Seems like they're trying to give Elsa a new relationship already. Don't love that story line, but such is life.
again, another epi that didn't disappoint....great show...also loved Sam's story of taking his wife to the beach with him, that helped....and made a whole lot of sense, what raw emotion, and her father's story, as well...
also liked the way the new co-hand tried to hit on her, and she shot him down right between the eyes, and then him saying she is grieving like a widow, and the reply, she is a widow. sniff sniff.....

raw emotions....and well done

Old 01-31-2022, 01:07 PM

5,853 posts, read 3,382,844 times
Something I noticed, and thought was interesting...

Elsa is/was grieving and dealing with that, and then she came thiiiiissss close to shooting someone else...and then a little later, she realized she started her period.

She walks off to be by herself, has a chance to rest and think, and rather suddenly...she's feeling better.

I thought it was interesting...did she come so close to shooting someone else because she was PMSing? Was that a detail we were all supposed to pick up on?

I remember one time, I was PMSing, dealing with 2 little kids who weren't feeling well, and my first husband just oblivious, watching TV. And I was thinking "Turn around and I'll kill you." And that's truly how I felt in that moment.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post

I thought that trading post section was just a way to get Rita Wilson into the show like Tom Hanks and not as artfully done either….

Didn’t think much of what was made of the trading post—didn’t see Margaret do much to get supplies at the last available spot, or that Wilson’s character was really going to take off an afternoon and get drunk enough to leave her store open w/o oversight…

And IMO that trading post looked like everything in it was an antique—which might be true if the items were really over 150 yrs old—but the stuff in it was supposed to be NEW products to sell—
Not vintage things culled from antique shops—new hand-me-down clothing and boots to replace what might have been lost/damaged by the journey thus far—soap, washboards, coffee mugs and pots, and sacks of flour, coffee beans, pinto beans, corn meal, coal oil/kerosene, lube oil for wheel axels….
Even some crates of chickens maybe to sell

There was not a lot for “Cookie” to buy as far as I could see—you are going to feed 100 people for 2-3 months???

I thought this was the least plausible of the story lines
And I was really disappointed with Elsa that after her grieving (totally appropriate especially for a young woman with her first love) Sheridan chooses to have her flirting with the new cowhand and using the line that she and Ennis used
That felt tacky to me… not that she should still be grief-stricken—but that she only knew how to flirt talking to a young man…
That was as bad in its own way as what she told John about the man she threaten to shoot—
That the look he gave her was one men didn’t know how to interpret but only give…

And any man who would spend $50 for a mirror in that context — just wouldn’t happen I think
Where were their supplies if he spent that money on the mirror???
That makes no sense—great gesture in the course of their relationship but you can’t eat a mirror
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV