Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2022, 03:46 PM

37,450 posts, read 60,298,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Something I noticed, and thought was interesting...

Elsa is/was grieving and dealing with that, and then she came thiiiiissss close to shooting someone else...and then a little later, she realized she started her period.

She walks off to be by herself, has a chance to rest and think, and rather suddenly...she's feeling better.

I thought it was interesting...did she come so close to shooting someone else because she was PMSing? Was that a detail we were all supposed to pick up on?

I remember one time, I was PMSing, dealing with 2 little kids who weren't feeling well, and my first husband just oblivious, watching TV. And I was thinking "Turn around and I'll kill you." And that's truly how I felt in that moment.
I think your timeline is wrong the way I remember
Elsa was sulking/depressed in the wagon, discovered she started her “monthlies” as they were called I think—not her “period” as the common term is now—and went out for some privacy as she told her mom
Likely she was depressed that she wasn’t pregnant—angry at the world and took it out on that guy who looked at her like she was a trull…and remember how Rita Wilson’s storekeeper started talking about Elsa w/o knowing Margaret was her mother—that some of those cowgirls were worse than cowboys (meaning no better than you might expect)….
The fact that Wilson changed her opinion after Margaret claims her is more due to the script than any evidence to the contrary…

The scene between Elsa and Sam Elliott was one of the best in the show IMO
Two people very different yet broken by grief to a commonality…his sharing his reason for going on gave Elsa the support her parents couldn’t or wouldn’t give…
It wouldn’t surprise me to see them growing closer together over the journey

Maybe that new cowhand has grit but has to be proven…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 08:07 PM

199 posts, read 100,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Elsa was sulking/depressed in the wagon, discovered she started her “monthlies” as they were called I think—not her “period” as the common term is now—and went out for some privacy as she told her mom
Likely she was depressed that she wasn’t pregnant—angry at the world and took it out on that guy who looked at her like she was a trull…and remember how Rita Wilson’s storekeeper started talking about Elsa w/o knowing Margaret was her mother—that some of those cowgirls were worse than cowboys (meaning no better than you might expect)….
The fact that Wilson changed her opinion after Margaret claims her is more due to the script than any evidence to the contrary…

Two people very different yet broken by grief to a commonality…his sharing his reason for going on gave Elsa the support her parents couldn’t or wouldn’t give…

Very well said.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:36 AM

5,845 posts, read 3,346,001 times
Quote:

Actually, Elsa referred to it as her period. When her mom asked where she was going, she said "I got my period. I need some privacy."

Old 02-01-2022, 07:37 AM

29,055 posts, read 30,528,761 times
Quote:
Something I noticed, and thought was interesting...

Elsa is/was grieving and dealing with that, and then she came thiiiiissss close to shooting someone else...and then a little later, she realized she started her period.

She walks off to be by herself, has a chance to rest and think, and rather suddenly...she's feeling better.

I thought it was interesting...did she come so close to shooting someone else because she was PMSing? Was that a detail we were all supposed to pick up on?

I remember one time, I was PMSing, dealing with 2 little kids who weren't feeling well, and my first husband just oblivious, watching TV. And I was thinking "Turn around and I'll kill you." And that's truly how I felt in that moment.
There are emotional stages when you loose a loved one, like Sam explained to her, they take a part of your heart with them, a part of your heart dies....first comes extreme grief/Pain, then anger....and that man looking at her the way he did, would spark anger in most women, but it was the wrong time for him to make sexual advances akin to a wolf whistle while salivating....sheesh, disgusting

She started her period yes, which mean, she wasn't pregnant with his child which I'm sure she wanted....

She felt better after Sam gave her his version of how he deals with the death of a loved one...which helped her a great deal and was quite poetic and romantic, for me....I've lost friends very close friends, but no relationship to the grim reaper...so I can't even imagine what kind of pain she was going thru...but the pain inside is real, I've been through a divorce and the pain of it almost killed me, it's the death of a relationship....

Yes, perhaps she as PMsing, but the whole emotional thing of loosing her love, her first love of her life, and then killing a man, most likely chewed her up and spit her out, for lack of better words....it was the first man she killed....the anger in her was over powering and all consuming...you could see it....

as the cowboy said, she was greiving like a widow....

Anyway, hope this helped some....

Old 02-01-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Actually, Elsa referred to it as her period. When her mom asked where she was going, she said "I got my period. I need some privacy."
I know Elsa said that
My point was that her use of the term is not historically accurate from my reading

Old 02-01-2022, 09:51 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,712,671 times
Quote:
I know Elsa said that
My point was that her use of the term is not historically accurate from my reading
Its .... fictional television.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Its .... fictional television.
That spends a ton of money, time ,and effort for historical accuracy

https://outsider.com/news/1883-taylo...stone-prequel/

But I did some research and apparently the use of “period” occurred in the 1800s so it wasn’t an anachronism for Elsa to use it

Last edited by loves2read; 02-01-2022 at 11:24 AM..

Old 02-01-2022, 02:45 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,131,977 times
I have not watched this show yet. I was thinking about it. I saw Faith Hill on CBS Morning this morning. She seemed incoherent to me, like she couldn't decide what to say in answer to a question. It was noticeable and strange. I read that it's not all that historically accurate so that's kind of a put off for me. I will be checking it out though.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I have not watched this show yet. I was thinking about it. I saw Faith Hill on CBS Morning this morning. She seemed incoherent to me, like she couldn't decide what to say in answer to a question. It was noticeable and strange. I read that it's not all that historically accurate so that's kind of a put off for me. I will be checking it out though.
It is very historically accurate—check the link I posted or Google for some info
Taylor Sheridan also did Wind River movie with Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen. Native Americans in the cast—read that one of the parts for an Indigenous character was given to someone who was not quite as good as someone who was White and thus not an authentic choice…

Old 02-01-2022, 04:04 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,131,977 times
Thank you I'm glad that you shared that because someone else I can't remember where I saw it said that they didn't think that 1883 was very historically accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV