Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2022, 05:18 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
It is very historically accurate—check the link I posted or Google for some info
Taylor Sheridan also did Wind River movie with Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen. Native Americans in the cast—read that one of the parts for an Indigenous character was given to someone who was not quite as good as someone who was White and thus not an authentic choice…

Exactly. It is overall extremely accurate--which is why we pounce on the rare occurrence when something doesn't seem true to the time period! I would agree that according to my readings of late 1800s/early 1900s novels a woman's period was usually not referred to as such, but as "the curse," or just "that time of the month."

I'd say that this week's episode had more historically slightly "off" elements than what we've grown used to. That trading post was indeed full of old stuff (which I would love to collect, and some of those kind of things are sitting around in our living room ), but it all looked, well, old! I've been to a lot of Old West events with vendors, and reenactments, as well as Old West museums featuring trading posts, and it looked like all that kind of stuff. Sheridan has probably attended the same kind of events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 07:44 PM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
It is very historically accurate—check the link I posted or Google for some info
Taylor Sheridan also did Wind River movie with Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen. Native Americans in the cast—read that one of the parts for an Indigenous character was given to someone who was not quite as good as someone who was White and thus not an authentic choice…
Watched Wind River twice, it was very well done....

Did you know that Monica in Yellowstone was the young girl they murdered running through the snow in the beginning, there were several actors in that movie from Yellowstone, and also in Mayor of Kingstown, which was also a nail bitter....

Old 02-02-2022, 06:11 AM

186 posts, read 95,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

Did you know that Monica in Yellowstone was the young girl they murdered running through the snow in the beginning, there were several actors in that movie from Yellowstone, and also in Mayor of Kingstown, which was also a nail bitter....

Man I have gad a hard time getting into the Mayor of Kingstown. Just the cold, gray north and that culture....it's kinda lost on me. I know it is well done, but I feel like I have to wash off when I watch it. I'll give it another go here soon. Funny thing, Sons of Anarchy took FOUR tries for me to like it. Now it is in my top 5.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:04 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH283 View Post
Man I have gad a hard time getting into the Mayor of Kingstown. Just the cold, gray north and that culture....it's kinda lost on me. I know it is well done, but I feel like I have to wash off when I watch it. I'll give it another go here soon. Funny thing, Sons of Anarchy took FOUR tries for me to like it. Now it is in my top 5.
I tend to be that way, when I start to watch a movie or especially a series, sometimes, depending on my mood and the events of the day, just cannot connect....so I go back and try again and am quite surprised. For me, the first episode was a dud the first time, couldn't make it thru...but the 2nd time, no problem and I'm glad I stuck with it, each epi gets better and better, cannot wait to see #2.

I am surprised at how Taylor uses the same actors in all his shows...I watched Wind River again last evening and it just amazes me, how some of his actors overflow into the next series....

Hell or High Water was also a great movie.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:46 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

Think Sheridan is acquiring and using a consistent group of people—actors and behind scenes—who can give him the level of support he wants
Other directors do that (Woody Allen comes to mind (before he was noxious), Wes Anderson and others

Old 02-02-2022, 11:50 AM

2,985 posts, read 1,752,656 times
Gil Birmingham is another oft-utilized actor of Sheridan's.

He's a regular on Yellowstone, a Texas Ranger on Hell or Highwater and the father of the murdered Indian girl (Kelsey Asbille) in Wind River.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:42 PM

10,876 posts, read 4,551,006 times
I watch 1883 and like it and pay paramount for the no commercial version. But it has some GLARING inconsistencies given his devotion to detail. And yes, I watched the companion piece.

so here goes...

He chose 1883. ok.

He added german imigrants, from the super deep south - just off the boat. curious, germans, prussians etc came into this country and settled into the 'triangle' (lookitup) no where near the start of the story, I mean, not even close. my own family tree on my fathers side was prussian. PA swallowed most of them in the mid 1800's but ok, his story.

The civil war ended in 1865. the story begins 18 years later. would there REALLY be someone wearing an 18+ year old uniform in pretty decent shape 18 years later? meh..

A lot is being made about oh how hard this journey is going to be BUT...by 1883 the oregon trail was all but replaced. in fact, where the wagons trains once rolled were.....RR tracks. in fact, when getting new helpers in the last episode, one puncher asks sam how to return and he says put it on the ..... train.

ok, how about take the damn thing up there in the first place. by the mid 1870s oregon was well covered. in 1869 the transcon was done. once that was done and 8 day coast to coast trips were possible, the RRs started gong EVERYWHERE else west. the east was well covered DURING the civil war and certainly after it. In those 18 years.

In fact, the telegraph was already established AND the gold rushes were pretty much done - including the dakotas (deadwood). all these horrible river crossings...I would imagine the trouble they would cause in say 1840-1850, but once the wagon trains were well established in the 1850s, they had these things called ferrys and rope bridges. when they met at doans crossing, by 1883 it was almost passe. the RR would eliminate it altogether in 2 years. the whole randomness of we "might make it we might not", was long gone.

there was no need to complicate things by pushing cattle. since the west was settled out to the coast and places in between, they also had towns and stores - not just trading posts.

taylor has created a sort of inverse steampunk (steam punk is where common inventions or technology from this time, are shown to be working, on steam - in the past, re: wild wild west) where they ignore the advances in the time period. heckfire, the steam TRACTOR was in use by 1883.

so, to sum up, great show, but the hardships and bleakness being pushed, was pretty much well over by the chosen year. (last fun fact, since this IS a precursor to yellowstone, montanna was well reachable by rail) even the comanche wars ended 8 years prior and the show goes no where the SW desert to deal with apaches and the like. and predates the ghost dance sioux by 18 years.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I watch 1883 and like it and pay paramount for the no commercial version. But it has some GLARING inconsistencies given his devotion to detail. And yes, I watched the companion piece.

so here goes...

He chose 1883. ok.

He added german imigrants, from the super deep south - just off the boat. curious, germans, prussians etc came into this country and settled into the 'triangle' (lookitup) no where near the start of the story, I mean, not even close. my own family tree on my fathers side was prussian. PA swallowed most of them in the mid 1800's but ok, his story.

The civil war ended in 1865. the story begins 18 years later. would there REALLY be someone wearing an 18+ year old uniform in pretty decent shape 18 years later? meh..

A lot is being made about oh how hard this journey is going to be BUT...by 1883 the oregon trail was all but replaced. in fact, where the wagons trains once rolled were.....RR tracks. in fact, when getting new helpers in the last episode, one puncher asks sam how to return and he says put it on the ..... train.

ok, how about take the damn thing up there in the first place. by the mid 1870s oregon was well covered. in 1869 the transcon was done. once that was done and 8 day coast to coast trips were possible, the RRs started gong EVERYWHERE else west. the east was well covered DURING the civil war and certainly after it. In those 18 years.

In fact, the telegraph was already established AND the gold rushes were pretty much done - including the dakotas (deadwood). all these horrible river crossings...I would imagine the trouble they would cause in say 1840-1850, but once the wagon trains were well established in the 1850s, they had these things called ferrys and rope bridges. when they met at doans crossing, by 1883 it was almost passe. the RR would eliminate it altogether in 2 years. the whole randomness of we "might make it we might not", was long gone.

there was no need to complicate things by pushing cattle. since the west was settled out to the coast and places in between, they also had towns and stores - not just trading posts.

taylor has created a sort of inverse steampunk (steam punk is where common inventions or technology from this time, are shown to be working, on steam - in the past, re: wild wild west) where they ignore the advances in the time period. heckfire, the steam TRACTOR was in use by 1883.

so, to sum up, great show, but the hardships and bleakness being pushed, was pretty much well over by the chosen year. (last fun fact, since this IS a precursor to yellowstone, montanna was well reachable by rail) even the comanche wars ended 8 years prior and the show goes no where the SW desert to deal with apaches and the like. and predates the ghost dance sioux by 18 years.
Good to know
I hadn’t put it in context but u r right that Transcontinental was done
Why did he pick 1883
Barb wire was in use as well

Old 02-05-2022, 05:48 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times
In the very beginning when Elsa is narrating, she says 1883 was the year she was born so i'm assuming this is taking place about the turn of the century.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:15 AM

10,876 posts, read 4,551,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
In the very beginning when Elsa is narrating, she says 1883 was the year she was born so i'm assuming this is taking place about the turn of the century.

i didnt get that...if true, its worse, by 1901 they had primitive cars, telephones and electric power.

mebbe she meant born again into a way as her view of the world changed drastically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV