Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 02:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,469,947 times

Advertisements

They do seem to be floundering. Bringing back old characters only to bump them off, recycling old story lines and abrupt plot endings with no explanations. No wonder viewership is down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 02:57 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,262,058 times
There is a new co-head writer, Ryan Quan; he's been on the writing staff for a few years.

The show just went on a five-week production hiatus with enough shows taped ahead through August (wow!), when it will be off the air for two weeks because of the Summer Olympics. It's weird that they tape so far in advance.

Buuuut ... the show was renewed only for one year. Previously it had been renewed for 2 or 3 years at a time.

Also I've read about rumors that Chandler Massey is coming back as well. I guess nothing new will leak out until the show starts production again in April.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:27 AM

That's good about Chandler Massey. I liked him in the role of Will. But it's going to take more than him to save the show for me. I think it's hitting a slump right now.

The new co-head writer seems to be recycling old plots. It appears now we have Steve covering for Joey. Anyone remember when Lucas covered for Will when he shot EJ? Kind of the same story.

And I don't see why they just couldn't have left Ava wherever she was. Why bring her back just to have her killed? So now are they going to get rid of Steve? Again? I just don't get where they are going with these stories.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:53 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,605,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
...The new co-head writer seems to be recycling old plots. It appears now we have Steve covering for Joey. Anyone remember when Lucas covered for Will when he shot EJ? Kind of the same story...
I thought about the Lucas covering for Will storyline too.

I don't get...

Why Abe's daughter is there
Victor's "never before mentioned" brother, Deimos.
Summer the (perhaps) half sister of Daniel.
Shawn D working for the Salem PD
How fast JJ became a cop.
How many times John's heritage can change.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I thought about the Lucas covering for Will storyline too.

I don't get...

Why Abe's daughter is there
Victor's "never before mentioned" brother, Deimos.
Summer the (perhaps) half sister of Daniel.
Shawn D working for the Salem PD
How fast JJ became a cop.
How many times John's heritage can change.
I know! It's like they just threw these things in there and more as if we viewers wouldn't notice. I Summer is Dr. Dan's sister, who is her mother? Did Maggie have another baby she didn't know about? That woman is awfully forgetful. Maybe they share a dad. Who could that be?

Shawn goes from a forensics expert to cop? I didn't think they did that.

Why did Lani have to be Abe's long lost daughter? Why couldn't she have been just a new member of the Salem PD?

Etc. Etc. Etc.

This whole show is looking as if it were put together by the writers who used to do the Soap sendup on the "Carol Burnett Show."

Old 02-29-2016, 02:29 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,552,505 times
I've seen the show sparingly over the past few weeks, but yeah, Victor's little brother threw me off, too. What has changed now regarding John? Nevermind, I can easily Google it, I guess...I wonder if he's an Alamain or a DiMera or neither...

Old 02-29-2016, 03:21 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,262,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I don't get...
I don't get any of it, either. You'd think after 30 years the writers would have figured out what to do with John and his background. Poor guy - there's not enough therapy in the world to help him come to grips with all the families, careers, and other parts of his background that he's been a part of ... oops, no, John, that was just all made up ... oops, nope, sorry, that was, too ...

I thought it made the most sense for him to be the DiMera-Brady spawn. Otherwise, there was no reason for Stefano's machinations concerning John.

Deimos I can handle. Maggie possibly having another kid she didn't know about, and Abe having a daughter that was conceived some time when he was on the show that suddenly materializes, I cannot.

Dumb writers. Argh.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:47 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
Help me understand something. Is the house Chad and Abigail are in the same house E.J and Sami lived in? I remember that house had a large foyer and much bigger room and portrait of Stephano hung just to the left(looking at it from our point of view) of the double doors. Also it was huge and had doors leading to patio or terrace. The set now is a much smaller room. Is that supposed to be a study or something. I remember large E.J. and Sami room had chess set too.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Help me understand something. Is the house Chad and Abigail are in the same house E.J and Sami lived in? I remember that house had a large foyer and much bigger room and portrait of Stephano hung just to the left(looking at it from our point of view) of the double doors. Also it was huge and had doors leading to patio or terrace. The set now is a much smaller room. Is that supposed to be a study or something. I remember large E.J. and Sami room had chess set too.
I think this is supposed to be one of the many parlors in that mansion. The room we always used to see EJ and Sami in was more of a main room. Who knows why they are showing the latest scenes this way.

It's funny how sons and daughters of regular characters mysteriously turn up after many years. They have more eggs spread around Salem than chickens in a hen coop.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:15 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,552,505 times
So Abe's daughter was never mentioned before? Ever? If so, yeah, that's stupid, even for a soap.

And unless I'm misunderstanding, Will was dead but is coming back. Is there anyone left in Salem who hasn't undergone this? Abigail, maybe?

The only time I really enjoyed the 'bringing a dead character back' was the Roman/John Black thing, as it was so different--I don't know of any other soap or drama who handled the situation in this way, and as a kid I was completely fascinated by it.

Random question: Whatever happened to Eugene? Last I recall he'd built a time machine and was actually shown as travelling through time and getting lost. Am I mis-remembering that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV