Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 12:59 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,136,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Actually this is the explanation in the book series this is loosely based on. A gun, if fired will start a reaction. The nano's find it and snuff it out by slowing it so much it is ineffective. I think the idea is that they may be working on a very low level, not sufficent to function, and like if your raido is on and plugged in and the power goes out, it will come back on when the power does. Not everything would, with degradation, but you could argue that the slo mo version of power generation would continue to try unless someone actually physically disconnected them from the power web.

I do like that while not using much of the books they did use this, though the people noticed a lot sooner that something was snuffing out any kinetic energy.

I hope there is some more dire concequence to this unplanned flip of the switch than war with power. I watched the first two episodes of Falling Skies last night and it held my attention entirely. Revolution is apoc-lite.
Dies The Fire, I'm aware of that series, but never got to it yet.
I guess the nano-bot theory could also fly in there in regards to why gunpowder and steam don't function in those books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 01:57 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,733,597 times
The show is going nowhere. Just random fights with no major plotlines advancing. How many times are they going to be face to face and not kill each other?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,372,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Dies The Fire, I'm aware of that series, but never got to it yet.
I guess the nano-bot theory could also fly in there in regards to why gunpowder and steam don't function in those books.
I think it works better in the book that they figure out why very early on. Power fails and a family is escaping. The man tries to fire his rifle, but nothing happens. He takes it apart to see if something is broken and the gunpower is warm as if it was charged, but not enough to blow. They figure out the rest from there, in the first chapter. People wouldn't just drop everything and run. They'd wait to see when someone had an explanation and open up things which should. I think Revolution should have established that they knew that the mechanics but not why. Why would be of far less importance to them by then.

I think season 3 is going to be the war of conquest to 'unite' the country with working weapons, but something else will go wrong too and perhaps Racheal will end up turning on the nanites again to stop it. You can't have an atmosphere and bodies saturated with these nanites and shut the system down and expect there to be no concequences.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 PM

1,762 posts, read 2,109,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I think it works better in the book that they figure out why very early on. Power fails and a family is escaping. The man tries to fire his rifle, but nothing happens. He takes it apart to see if something is broken and the gunpower is warm as if it was charged, but not enough to blow. They figure out the rest from there, in the first chapter. People wouldn't just drop everything and run. They'd wait to see when someone had an explanation and open up things which should. I think Revolution should have established that they knew that the mechanics but not why. Why would be of far less importance to them by then.

I think season 3 is going to be the war of conquest to 'unite' the country with working weapons, but something else will go wrong too and perhaps Racheal will end up turning on the nanites again to stop it. You can't have an atmosphere and bodies saturated with these nanites and shut the system down and expect there to be no concequences.
Hi there, I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I just wanted to say I think it is season 2 that's starting in the fall. Season 1 started this past fall, took a hiatus and then came back on in the spring so it should be 2 starting in the fall not 3.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Hi there, I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I just wanted to say I think it is season 2 that's starting in the fall. Season 1 started this past fall, took a hiatus and then came back on in the spring so it should be 2 starting in the fall not 3.
I guess it is. It just doesn't seem like it. I think I'll enjoy all these 'split season' shows more when I watch them through on netflix later.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 AM

460 posts, read 1,143,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
The show is going nowhere.
Yeah, I liked the idea of this and some of the actors, but I unless the writers start from scratch, I am afraid you are correct.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:25 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,669,808 times
Yes, they had to know how annoying the lights coming back on after being out for YEARS would be to the viewers. I mean, give me a break. That's huge with no explanation (no one is manning the power plants, obviously)...

It would be less dramatic, I suppose, but it would have made more sense for people to notice accidentally that things that hadn't worked in years suddenly did...then people could go man the power plants and get the electricity back on.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes, they had to know how annoying the lights coming back on after being out for YEARS would be to the viewers. I mean, give me a break. That's huge with no explanation (no one is manning the power plants, obviously)...

It would be less dramatic, I suppose, but it would have made more sense for people to notice accidentally that things that hadn't worked in years suddenly did...then people could go man the power plants and get the electricity back on.
That would have been a good way to show it. Of course, when they showed the earth. lights brightning, there is no immediate timeline or details. I think they left it to be imagined, which works. Sometimes a little fudging for dramatic purposes works too. It's this sudden hope, then suddenly dashed when the guy in the tower arms the missles for more of the same except with more deadly weapons, that some semblence of peace might be possible that they were getting at I think.

They left sufficent curiosities dangling, most of all is Rachael will consider turning it off, again, I think, that I'm interested in the next season.

But I really really wish they'd look at the believable creation of 'the end of life as we know it' in Falling Skies, and darken it up more. The little militias and sides aren't going to just stop and make peace now that they lights are on and we all know its going to get worse and harder and DARKER before it can get better.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:35 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,706,335 times
I like the premise, so I keep watching. But I find that the lack of paying attention to details very annoying too.

I think Charlie's is written in in order to appeal to teens. They often see themselves in that light.

I kind of thought Aaron left his wife out of shame for not being able to protect her rather than not being able to actually protect her.

Has anyone suspected that Charlie might actually be Mile's daughter? With the affair Rachel & Miles had, it wouldn't surprise me.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 AM

4,000 posts, read 5,044,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I like the premise, so I keep watching. But I find that the lack of paying attention to details very annoying too.

I think Charlie's is written in in order to appeal to teens. They often see themselves in that light.

I kind of thought Aaron left his wife out of shame for not being able to protect her rather than not being able to actually protect her.

Has anyone suspected that Charlie might actually be Mile's daughter? With the affair Rachel & Miles had, it wouldn't surprise me.
I actually had a passing thought on this...the plot will definitely thicken if this is the case. I used to like Charlie, but now, not so much. I get that she has hardened...I mean, who wouldn't after everything she's been through?...but she's sort of insolent and talks back all the time, as if she now knows better than everyone involved. Hey, it seems to be a "learn as you go" type of world so why discredit all the adults because they're not doing what you think is right. Always pouty...not into it.

However, I'm not immune to the seriousness of their situation. It shouldn't be light and fluffy...guess I just wish she wasn't so bratty.

It will be interesting with the power on, but I agree with the others who say there are so many complications that it just doesn't "fit" yet. I will be watching in the fall though...I like it enough to see what happens. Also, I think the last episode was evidence that Monroe and Miles will never kill each other...and now, they may be fighting together against a bigger enemy. Who knows how it will go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV