Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,225,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Pretty good episode Monday night. I sort of expected the thing that happened to that guy to happen. And the mom is grating on my nerves. I'm surprised Charlie hasn't smacked her yet.
You mean Charlie's mom, Elizabeth Mitchell? Yeah she has that affect on people. Wish she had more acting styles instead of the whiney creepy boring lady. I haven't seen it yet, it's not OnDemand yet. I supposed I have to wait a week. Missed it because Hawaii(5-O) comes first for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:50 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,379,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Pretty good episode Monday night. I sort of expected the thing that happened to that guy to happen. And the mom is grating on my nerves. I'm surprised Charlie hasn't smacked her yet.
The mom grates on my nerves also. I found her irritating on Lost so maybe it's carryover feelings for me, though.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:19 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,281,877 times
I'm surprised they did as they did with the son. It's not normal sort of tv series stuff. But the whole first part you see this building but controlled rage in his eyes. It has to come out sometime. Charlie kept seeing her little brother. He hadn't been that for some time after his being taken.

I think he felt it was worth it.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:13 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,042,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'm surprised they did as they did with the son. It's not normal sort of tv series stuff. But the whole first part you see this building but controlled rage in his eyes. It has to come out sometime. Charlie kept seeing her little brother. He hadn't been that for some time after his being taken.

I think he felt it was worth it.
I think you're right about Charlie seeing Danny as just her little brother. She was forced into the role as his caregiver, protector at an early age. She couldn't see him as an equal.

I too was surprised by the turn of events. The first half of the season the main goal was to get Danny back. I think that's why I was so surprised. Now we have a new direction...the revolution and getting back the United States. I was thinking about our country's original revolution and the many heroes that came from it. I could see Danny being an important part of history of this new revolution. He might be referred to like our Paul Revere was as one example. I hope I'm making sense. I need more caffeine today or something.

It will be interesting to see what the show does from here on out. I hope the emphasis is on the revolution and not just getting the power back on.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:28 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,281,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I think you're right about Charlie seeing Danny as just her little brother. She was forced into the role as his caregiver, protector at an early age. She couldn't see him as an equal.

I too was surprised by the turn of events. The first half of the season the main goal was to get Danny back. I think that's why I was so surprised. Now we have a new direction...the revolution and getting back the United States. I was thinking about our country's original revolution and the many heroes that came from it. I could see Danny being an important part of history of this new revolution. He might be referred to like our Paul Revere was as one example. I hope I'm making sense. I need more caffeine today or something.

It will be interesting to see what the show does from here on out. I hope the emphasis is on the revolution and not just getting the power back on.
He might end up with stories. Charlie really still doesn't see what happened to him and why. But its nice to see a *realistic* portrait of what happens when the sort of things which happened to him are done. It's not pretty. There was one scene were he caught the guy and just started beating on him over and over where its visible, but after that he learned to keep it in. When he got the chance to pay them back, he took it. He didn't care if he died, just that they did.

I think there may be a differing wrinkle on how the power came back on as in it may not be so simple. Each bullet seemed to be lit up as if each was individually 'charged'. I have a feeling the dampering field my not be so simple to remove. I don't the books this is based on ever even tried to deal with how to go back to what was.

That's the thing here. The US as it was is over, gone and history. The son is a good example of the youth out there, who don't remember any of it. To Charlie its old postcards and crumbling buildings. If they do succeed it won't resemble the one which was no matter how much the adults wish it would. The younger generation will see it through the eyes of strangers and make it their way.

Interesting you have the different kingdoms, who are supposedly out to recover the 'united states' but really all they want is to take over the other kingdoms.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:22 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,042,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
He might end up with stories. Charlie really still doesn't see what happened to him and why. But its nice to see a *realistic* portrait of what happens when the sort of things which happened to him are done. It's not pretty. There was one scene were he caught the guy and just started beating on him over and over where its visible, but after that he learned to keep it in. When he got the chance to pay them back, he took it. He didn't care if he died, just that they did.

I totally agree. I know others have complained about the violence on the show but I think it's a realistic representation of how it would be if something like this happened to the world. It's all about survival.

I think there may be a differing wrinkle on how the power came back on as in it may not be so simple. Each bullet seemed to be lit up as if each was individually 'charged'. I have a feeling the dampering field my not be so simple to remove. I don't the books this is based on ever even tried to deal with how to go back to what was.

I didn't catch that with the bullets. I'll have to watch again.

That's the thing here. The US as it was is over, gone and history. The son is a good example of the youth out there, who don't remember any of it. To Charlie its old postcards and crumbling buildings. If they do succeed it won't resemble the one which was no matter how much the adults wish it would. The younger generation will see it through the eyes of strangers and make it their way.

I'm not sure on this point. I think there are enough adults left that they could bring back the United States close to the way it was. I'm just speculating here but I would guess that the population growth has slowed way down so there aren't as many in the younger generation. We've only seen young children a few times on the show. I'm specifically thinking of that band of children Charlie and her group helped. I would imagine that a lot of children didn't survive the blackout. I'm trying to be objective but it would bother me if our country changed too much. That's just how I feel...I know it's a tv show but I can't help but think of these things!

Interesting you have the different kingdoms, who are supposedly out to recover the 'united states' but really all they want is to take over the other kingdoms.
I also agree with this. There are too many power hungry nuts out there that wouldn't want to recover the United States. So we have the Monroe Republic, the Georgia Federation, the Plains Nation and I couldn't tell on the map what was west of the Plains Nation. I know they mentioned California. Did you catch what the "other" nation was called?

I tried to put my responses in another color but it didn't work. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
I don't see why anyone would want to resurrect the U.S.

It's a new and different future. Nothing wrong with different places, different ideas...frankly, I wouldn't be behind rebuilding this country.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,894,643 times
Henry Beemis, in a Library. That was great.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
I wonder how many people caught that.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:35 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,894,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I wonder how many people caught that.
Well, that's two of us who did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV