Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,779,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Absolutely. I don't know why I am still watching. When Major Tom Neville said, "I'm not vindictive or abusive" or something like that I said out loud, Yes you are! Then he kills the guy he was letting go. He is an evil character. ugh.
Especially when he said that he's "Inspiring".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,779,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I noticed there were no pictures of President Obama, Just Bush and Clinton. This indicates the blackout happened during Bush's time in office which, of course, was an eight year stretch from 2001 to 2009. I always thought the blackout happened in more or less current times and the fifteen years later was fifteen years from now. But apparently not.
In the previous episode, there is a picture of Obama in the office.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:32 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,690,576 times
Look closely. There is a picture of Obama.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:55 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,109,841 times
I finally caught up and thought the finally was pretty good. I was sad to see Nora go. I really liked her.
I'm intrigued for next season. I hope it stays interesting.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,031,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I want the electronics that these people have. Lights and computers can sit around unused for 15 years and then with the flip of a buttom work as if nothing had ever been wrong.
This show has really gone off the deep end. OK, let's say we "suspend disbelief" enough to buy that nanobots are sucking up all of the power and replicating themselves. Fine, it is science fiction after all. However, for there to be power to be sucked up in the first place, there has to be power being GENERATED somewhere. Forget the electronics that have been sitting around for 15 years. Do you mean to tell me that the coal, gas, and nuclear plants that have been sitting idle for the past 15 years all of a sudden sprung to life on their own without human intervention? Where is the juice coming from that is traveling through the wire to the lamp on the President's desk, etc...? It would have been much more interesting if it was simply a show about a post apocalyptic world where humans had to survive with no electricity and focused more on the warring nations, power struggles, etc...

Old 06-11-2013, 11:52 AM

14,538 posts, read 21,380,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
This show has really gone off the deep end. OK, let's say we "suspend disbelief" enough to buy that nanobots are sucking up all of the power and replicating themselves. Fine, it is science fiction after all. However, for there to be power to be sucked up in the first place, there has to be power being GENERATED somewhere. Forget the electronics that have been sitting around for 15 years. Do you mean to tell me that the coal, gas, and nuclear plants that have been sitting idle for the past 15 years all of a sudden sprung to life on their own without human intervention? Where is the juice coming from that is traveling through the wire to the lamp on the President's desk, etc...? It would have been much more interesting if it was simply a show about a post apocalyptic world where humans had to survive with no electricity and focused more on the warring nations, power struggles, etc...
Actually this is the explanation in the book series this is loosely based on. A gun, if fired will start a reaction. The nano's find it and snuff it out by slowing it so much it is ineffective. I think the idea is that they may be working on a very low level, not sufficent to function, and like if your raido is on and plugged in and the power goes out, it will come back on when the power does. Not everything would, with degradation, but you could argue that the slo mo version of power generation would continue to try unless someone actually physically disconnected them from the power web.

I do like that while not using much of the books they did use this, though the people noticed a lot sooner that something was snuffing out any kinetic energy.

I hope there is some more dire concequence to this unplanned flip of the switch than war with power. I watched the first two episodes of Falling Skies last night and it held my attention entirely. Revolution is apoc-lite.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Actually this is the explanation in the book series this is loosely based on. A gun, if fired will start a reaction. The nano's find it and snuff it out by slowing it so much it is ineffective. I think the idea is that they may be working on a very low level, not sufficent to function, and like if your raido is on and plugged in and the power goes out, it will come back on when the power does.
So the people at the power plants have been going to work day in and day out for the past fifteen years trying to keep them running while society collapsed around them and their families were driven from their homes? How was coal/gas delivered to the plants? How was water pumped to make steam to drive the turbines/generators? I'm sorry but that makes no sense at all

Old 06-11-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
So the people at the power plants have been going to work day in and day out for the past fifteen years trying to keep them running while society collapsed around them and their families were driven from their homes? How was coal/gas delivered to the plants? How was water pumped to make steam to drive the turbines/generators? I'm sorry but that makes no sense at all
The fuel in the pipes would not go anywhere, just be in a kind of suspended animation. Coal would not be dug out very likely either. It's like time slowing down. The burning tries to happen, but won't burn enough to do more than warm. Yes, they'd have to bring new supplies once the plants were working, but likely they were abandoned.

Once they came on, those which could not would be dealt with. I'm not saying everything would, but if power producing plants were left sitting undamaged, on some level there could be a continuing activity, just not enough to generate.

We see the lights come on but very likely without some major work they wouldn't stay on long.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The fuel in the pipes would not go anywhere, just be in a kind of suspended animation. Coal would not be dug out very likely either. It's like time slowing down. The burning tries to happen, but won't burn enough to do more than warm. Yes, they'd have to bring new supplies once the plants were working, but likely they were abandoned.

Once they came on, those which could not would be dealt with. I'm not saying everything would, but if power producing plants were left sitting undamaged, on some level there could be a continuing activity, just not enough to generate.

We see the lights come on but very likely without some major work they wouldn't stay on long.
I'm lost... Moral of the story, coal doesn't burn, steam isn't produced, generators don't turn without human intervention. Period. Also, FWIW, nuclear plants can't last very long at all without power-we saw that with Fukushima. Without pumps running 24/7 to circulate cooling water in spent fuel pools, the heat from radioactive decay heats the water, it boils off, and the fuel melts down, ruining the reactor. There is no way that nuclear plants idled for 15 years would be functional later on. It makes no sense and it's annoying that they couldn't come up with a better explanation.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I'm lost... Moral of the story, coal doesn't burn, steam isn't produced, generators don't turn without human intervention. Period. Also, FWIW, nuclear plants can't last very long at all without power-we saw that with Fukushima. Without pumps running 24/7 to circulate cooling water in spent fuel pools, the heat from radioactive decay heats the water, it boils off, and the fuel melts down, ruining the reactor. There is no way that nuclear plants idled for 15 years would be functional later on. It makes no sense and it's annoying that they couldn't come up with a better explanation.
Not all would be nuclear. The idea they are using from the book is kind of like almost snuffing out a flame. Light a candle. Limit the oxygen and it may still burn but may not even be a flame, just a glow on the wick. That is what the nanites did, limit the ability to burn. Nuclear plants would fail but not all others would. The science is not necessarily science like ftl spaceships are according to science not possible but we still enjoy watching and accept in the setting that a spaceship with the right drive can still do it. Suspension of disbelief
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV