Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 10:48 AM

3,321 posts, read 4,151,460 times

Advertisements

I thought it would have been better to have Murray swagger out there with cake all over him, with another full bottle of slovakian vodka, like he had been up all night partying and just never had time to change his clothes, lol.

I liked the old clips and interviews with the kids, and always thought his interactions with children were not exactly what you would call "PC", and very funny sometimes. Not sure if the Junior Letterman enjoyed the camera pan to him in the audience, he seemed rather uncomfortable on camera, not sure if we can count on him to follow in his dad's footsteps for a new Letterman show in 2030, hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, make sure to tune in to The Mentalist tonight on CBS. Why does CBS not switch to Colbert now before Dave's audience drifts over to Fallon or Kimmel? I have to believe Late Night is not dead, and that another Johnny, Dave, or Jay will emerge sometime soon. I wish Conan could have stayed on network TV, and not moved to cable. I never get to see him on TBS, and he needs to be on at 10:30 central after the news like the other late night shows. There has to be something better out there than Fallon and Kimmel, not that either is god awful but they are not top notch 30 year in the chair types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 10:51 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,545,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Ok, I didn't remember that. But what was funny about saying he'd never get the money he owed him (or something to that effect?) I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just didn't get it.
Letterman is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Bill's joke was that now that Dave wasn't drawing a salary anymore, he won't be able to pay his debts.

Edited: Sorry I just went back and rewatched and that's not the joke at all. LOL Murray said HE would never have the money he owes Dave. I have no idea what the joke is there.

Maybe now that Dave isn't in the position to do anything for Bill, he could finally come out and say he wasn't gonna pay him back? I dunno.

Last edited by LillyLillyLilly; 05-21-2015 at 12:12 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 10:57 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,303,839 times
Huge fan from way back - when Paul had hair and Dave had more. I'll miss the whole gang very much.

Dave changed television.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:59 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,818,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I thought it would have been better to have Murray swagger out there with cake all over him, with another full bottle of slovakian vodka, like he had been up all night partying and just never had time to change his clothes, lol.

I liked the old clips and interviews with the kids, and always thought his interactions with children were not exactly what you would call "PC", and very funny sometimes. Not sure if the Junior Letterman enjoyed the camera pan to him in the audience, he seemed rather uncomfortable on camera, not sure if we can count on him to follow in his dad's footsteps for a new Letterman show in 2030, hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, make sure to tune in to The Mentalist tonight on CBS. Why does CBS not switch to Colbert now before Dave's audience drifts over to Fallon or Kimmel? I have to believe Late Night is not dead, and that another Johnny, Dave, or Jay will emerge sometime soon. I wish Conan could have stayed on network TV, and not moved to cable. I never get to see him on TBS, and he needs to be on at 10:30 central after the news like the other late night shows. There has to be something better out there than Fallon and Kimmel, not that either is god awful but they are not top notch 30 year in the chair types.
I get it that they need time to redo the studio. They don't need 4 months. They've had a year. Everything should be planned out in detail.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:03 AM

17,722 posts, read 15,485,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Ok, I didn't remember that. But what was funny about saying he'd never get the money he owed him (or something to that effect?) I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just didn't get it.
That was Dave's style of humor.. I don't really see anything to 'get' about it.. A mildly humorous one-off comment.. And, it stuck with the tradition of the Top 10 list.. the strongest was never #1.

I was slightly disappointed they didn't bring back the "Home Office" and the 2001-2011-ish opening of "From New York - The Greatest City in the World".. Not a fan of NY, but I always liked that opening

Old 05-21-2015, 11:12 AM

9,830 posts, read 11,620,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that CBS blew it by bypassing Craig Ferguson.
I could not agree more, Craig Ferguson was a pretty funny dude. My Only Concern with Craig was was that, he's very risque and always pushed the envelope when it came to censorship.
CBS Gave Craig Ferguson a wheelbarrow full of Cash to go away, so he's set for life

Old 05-21-2015, 11:16 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,937,426 times
I'd rather watch reruns of The Mentalist, which start tonight in the Letterman timeslot.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:42 AM

3,321 posts, read 4,151,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I was slightly disappointed they didn't bring back the "Home Office" and the 2001-2011-ish opening of "From New York - The Greatest City in the World".. Not a fan of NY, but I always liked that opening
Yes, no mention of the original home office, but for the record it was Sioux City Iowa. "From the home office in Sioux City" came about because of the local station, channel 4 in Sioux City, was the only NBC affiliate in the country that had not picked up Late Night with David Letterman. I forgot the reason why the station held out for so long, but they eventually picked up Letterman after a few more years. Then Dave changed the home office all the time and the bit faded away.

I liked the feel of his old show at Christmas, good sets and lots of laughs, just the right magic for the holidays. I miss that, and Paul always got the music right, and stayed in sync with Dave and his body language. Dave's monologue was always weak and he needed all the help he could get from Paul.

I don't think Rupert was much of an asset after they had to drop his undercover bit at the fast food places. Rupert was set up with mic parroting Dave's remarks and got one customer so ticked off, he pulled a knife on Rupert, thus they had to drop that bit to avoid future trouble and lawsuits. From then on, everything that went on later with Rupert and his sandwich shop was boring, Sirajul and Mujibur were boring, guy in a bear suit.....boring.

No wonder Jay started creeping up on Dave in the ratings, while Dave was doing that crap, Jay was kicking butt with a great monologue, the Clinton jokes, the fat american jokes, the topical current event jokes, sometimes with some wit attached. NBC had better writers for Jay, but Jay winged it pretty good during the writers strike.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:54 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,373,733 times
I watched the whole show (and parts of others during the week), and while it wasnt extrodinary i was pleased. Its sad to see him go but his time is due. Other than this last episode, and 2 live show tapings, the last time i regulary watched Letterman was late 80's mid 90's. After that I lost interest, not specifically because of him but I just got tired of Late night shows in general.

I've sat through more Letterman shows than any other, including Carson. I didnt care for Leno and as the rest (Conan, Kimmel, Fallon) i only watch their bits on youtube/facebook etc.

I liked the touching tributes from the other late night hosts because it counteracts some the snark/hatred directed towards Letterman. Yeah, he is a shell of his former self, turned political, etc but he did have some good moments and was an influence. I suspect we'll see similar atmosphere when the Simpsons goes off the air, or even if SNL calls it quits.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:19 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,116,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
"You think there are only 120 kinds of animals?" That was my favorite joke from the show.

Dave could be a grouch, as some have stated, but it's obvious he cared for the people he worked with and his guests, and that he was quick to find the humor in just about everything.
Too bad he couldn't turn it around and show it to the TV audience in a funny way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV