Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:50 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,859,238 times

Advertisements

Well having 17 writers gave him plenty of free time to sleep with his staff , and people still put him on a pedestal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 11:21 AM

20,341 posts, read 37,446,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Comedians re the only people holding our politicians feet to the fire, so I would say it is a benefit to all of us for them to continue mocking politics and putting light on the ridiculous garbage that is being done in our name, with our money.
No comedian out there can hold our politicians' feet to the fire. All Letterman did was to ridicule the politicians of the opposing political party, while in reality both sides are corrupt. But my point is that not being neutral in regards to politics or religion offers no benefit to a comedian, or a singer, and so forth.

And please don't get me wrong, for all I am trying to say is that when I go to a comedy or musical show I just want to be entertained, not persuaded into politics nor preached upon.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-22-2015 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 11:52 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,572,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
No comedian out there can hold our politicians' feet to the fire. All Letterman did was to ridicule the politicians of the opposing political party, while in reality both sides are corrupt. But my point is that not being neutral in regards to politics or religion offers no benefit to a comedian, or a singer, and so forth.

And please don't get me wrong, for all I am trying to say is that when I go to a comedy or musical show I just want to be entertained, not persuaded into politics nor preached upon.
He ridiculed whomever was in power at the time. Do you not remember his Clinton jokes? They were scorching. The last few times I watched in the last decade I saw some pretty mean Hillary jokes when she was running for president. I can't remember any Obama jokes, but I've only watched the show a handful of times in the last 8 years so probably missed them.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
How ironic is it for people who listen to limbaugh on the radio and constantly watch fox (faux) news to complain about somebody being partisan?

Where is their complaints on far-right entertainers such as trump or ted nugent being HIGHLY partisan?
You have to take into consideration that for a majority of people comedy is about entertainment, and both politics and religion are subjects that usually get people upset, unless all think alike. You can have a family at the table, and unless all believe exactly the same, political or religious subjects can certainly split the family.

Rush is not a comedian, nor a singer, nor an actor. He is just radio talk host who is Republican and talks about politics. As such he does not cater to the left. His listeners are mostly right from center in the political spectrum, and listen to him because that's what they desire.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:01 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,897,737 times
Quote:

Maybe you're too young to have watched Letterman go after Bill Clinton when he was in office.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
He ridiculed whomever was in power at the time. Do you not remember his Clinton jokes? They were scorching. The last few times I watched in the last decade I saw some pretty mean Hillary jokes when she was running for president. I can't remember any Obama jokes, but I've only watched the show a handful of times in the last 8 years so probably missed them.
The bottomline is that I only liked the guy at the beginning. Once the politics started he became extremely boring.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Maybe you're too young to have watched Letterman go after Bill Clinton when he was in office.
I am old enough to have watched Carson.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:16 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,897,737 times
Quote:
I am old enough to have watched Carson.
Gave you an out.

Carson made comments on politicians.

Letterman made comments on politicians. He went after Romney for refusing to come on the show, not for being a Republican. If I had to guess his political affiliation I would guess Independent.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:28 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,378,383 times
Quote:
No comedian out there can hold our politicians' feet to the fire.
You must not have heard of the White House Correspondent's Dinner.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:31 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,378,383 times
A sampling of Johnny Carson's political jokes.

Johnny Carson Quotes and Political Jokes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV