Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 06:03 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,864,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Well having 17 writers gave him plenty of free time to sleep with his staff , and people still put him on a pedestal

Yeah, but Dave had the courage to stand up in front of an entire nation and admit he screwed up. Most people would have been putting a spin on it, or denying it, but he faced it right head on and took the heat. That takes guts.

I think it was Jesus who said “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone ". We've all messed up in our lives, it is how we learn from it and fix it that counts.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 08:24 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,851,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yeah, but Dave had the courage to stand up in front of an entire nation and admit he screwed up. Most people would have been putting a spin on it, or denying it, but he faced it right head on and took the heat. That takes guts.

I think it was Jesus who said “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone ". We've all messed up in our lives, it is how we learn from it and fix it that counts.

Don
He had no choice Don, he was on TV every night , also it was going to come out in the open anyhow , he just did it before the blackmailer did .

Old 05-22-2015, 10:18 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,135,138 times
The ridicule of politicians is almost a sworn duty for any comedian, especially for late night comic entertainers. Bill Clinton gave them plenty to talk about, who didn't tell a Bill Clinton joke back then, come on. Same thing with George Bush and many other political candidates, whomever F-up on the news that day is gonna get spanked. That's the stuff that keeps comedians going, topical humor/current events gets laughs, it works.

When making political jokes, it's best to make it a routine, not a sudden attack on a politician (or broad brushing an entire political party....yikes) out of thin air just because you have personal bias. Do the deed whenever something pops up, regardless of the party affiliation of the boob in question. Whenever a juicy new target presents itself, the audience will expect you to jump on it. If you play softball with one side, and hardball with the other like Dave, you lose against the other guy (Leno) who spreads it around. Johnny told Carter jokes, and also told Reagan jokes. But in the case of Dave, he tipped his hand long ago about his political leanings, so when he does a softball joke about Obama (rare), it has less impact, and when he tells a Bush joke, it also has less impact. That hurt Dave's ratings IMO, but because the country has drifted slowly to the left over the past decade, it didn't hurt him nearly as bad as it would if he leaned right.

If Dave leaned right, the advertisers would curl up into a ball because they want a young liberal audience open to new ideas (products). There is a gaping hole in the market for a slightly right leaning comic host for late nite, but for the same reasons King of the Hill gets dumped for American Dad in the animated world, Jay Leno gets dumped for Fallon in the late night world. The older/conservative demographic is forgotten. What they forget is Fox News makes more money than any other news outlet. I'm not plugging Fox News, but pointing out that conservative themed shows can be profitable and entertaining.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:45 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,863,747 times
Back to the the OP *cough*, I thought it was okay. These things are awkward at best - especially for a person like Dave who'd rather not be fawned over like that. It was cool seeing old shots from the old days. The Seinfeld moment was priceless.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:23 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,714,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
The ridicule of politicians is almost a sworn duty for any comedian, especially for late night comic entertainers. Bill Clinton gave them plenty to talk about, who didn't tell a Bill Clinton joke back then, come on. Same thing with George Bush and many other political candidates, whomever F-up on the news that day is gonna get spanked. That's the stuff that keeps comedians going, topical humor/current events gets laughs, it works.

When making political jokes, it's best to make it a routine, not a sudden attack on a politician (or broad brushing an entire political party....yikes) out of thin air just because you have personal bias. Do the deed whenever something pops up, regardless of the party affiliation of the boob in question. Whenever a juicy new target presents itself, the audience will expect you to jump on it. If you play softball with one side, and hardball with the other like Dave, you lose against the other guy (Leno) who spreads it around. Johnny told Carter jokes, and also told Reagan jokes. But in the case of Dave, he tipped his hand long ago about his political leanings, so when he does a softball joke about Obama (rare), it has less impact, and when he tells a Bush joke, it also has less impact. That hurt Dave's ratings IMO, but because the country has drifted slowly to the left over the past decade, it didn't hurt him nearly as bad as it would if he leaned right.

If Dave leaned right, the advertisers would curl up into a ball because they want a young liberal audience open to new ideas (products). There is a gaping hole in the market for a slightly right leaning comic host for late nite, but for the same reasons King of the Hill gets dumped for American Dad in the animated world, Jay Leno gets dumped for Fallon in the late night world. The older/conservative demographic is forgotten. What they forget is Fox News makes more money than any other news outlet. I'm not plugging Fox News, but pointing out that conservative themed shows can be profitable and entertaining.
Dave was far more likely to go after Biden than Obama. That seems to bother you. But it bothers you because you don't want to remember that Dave rarely went after Daddy Bush. There was far more material with a VP who couldn't spell potato.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:19 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Dave was far more likely to go after Biden than Obama. That seems to bother you. But it bothers you because you don't want to remember that Dave rarely went after Daddy Bush. There was far more material with a VP who couldn't spell potato.
Biden is a monolith of humor, everyone does jokes about him including Obama (the roast). Dave did not expose much political bias until a few years after he moved to CBS. They infused pink slime from Dan Rather into Dave's spinal cord, and he was absorbed into the body of CBS. Now that he is no longer of the body, he might turn into a republican. When you look at his mannerisms, his crotchety demeanor, never giving more than a ham to a needy audience.....I think Dave might show up on FOX someday....lol.

How was Dave's final show? It was better than Johnny's last show, and equal to Jay's first final show in 2010, which was pretty good as Jay poured on lots of praise to his staff like Dave did, and the show was entertaining. The best of his last shows featured guest Adam Sandler with his farewell song, and quests Howard Stern and Don Rickles, and Bill Murray. The Tom Hanks show stunk all the way thru.

Jays second final farewell was OK but I've learned to record the last couple weeks of shows, for my favored retiring hosts, as the best farewell often airs several days or a couple weeks before the last show. Still kicking myself for not recording Leno a couple weeks before his last, as one show in particular was great, it had a couple SNL guests, can't remember if it was Sandler and David Spade, but they sang an awesome tribute song about Jay that was on par with the one Sandler did for Dave, it was excellent, very funny.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:32 PM

719 posts, read 1,060,869 times
Default Late Night with David Letterman (1982-1993)

For all the talk about how much Dave will be missed what I miss most is Dave on "Late Night".It got me through college. I watched the show every night (Monday through Thursday at the time) in my dorm room with a group of guys. Loved Chris Elliott and the guy under the seats. Classic stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89GrBnmYwXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke0lQW9TpOY

Other classic "Late Night" gags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVAsLQgsyl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48zJWYWRMGU

And Larry "Bud" Melman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIgEhPNiJy0

The last "Late Night with David Letterman" in 93 with Dave at his sarcastic best making fun of NBC. Has the opening with that great "Late Night" theme music and a great Top Ten List (Top ten things I have to do before I leave NBC).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLQhWgi9rGA

Last edited by senecaman; 05-23-2015 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: your thread/post merged into existing Letterman thread as there are previous era Letterman posts in this thread also

Old 05-24-2015, 03:25 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,851,429 times
I think he was like the test of them ,they spread their political jokes evenly , but interviewing a politician was a different story with letterman , his true liberal colors showed then , good riddance to bad rubbish .

Old 05-24-2015, 05:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,714,286 times
Quote:
I think he was like the test of them ,they spread their political jokes evenly , but interviewing a politician was a different story with letterman , his true liberal colors showed then , good riddance to bad rubbish .
Who are you referring to?

Old 05-24-2015, 05:58 PM

1,683 posts, read 813,454 times
Quote:
good riddance to bad rubbish .
You must mean good riddance to people like dick nixon and dick cheney then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV