Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I think the point was that this particular issue--the ransom note--has been discussed for pages and pages on this thread. Many posters come to threads without ever reading anything but the original post, then post something that's already been discussed to the nth degree (and not just on this thread).
^ ^ ^ This.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:15 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,378,153 times
It still makes me really sad to think of this case.

I do think more investigation could have been made into the question of abuse. Aside from the bed wetting which in a girl can be a red flag, JonBenét was being seen by an osteopath which can also be a red flag. These things don't prove anything but may indicate further investigation is warranted. I also feel that the 911 call made from the house the night before the murder is very suspicious.

As far as John Ramsey, I find it strange that he ran for public office and wrote a book. I would have thought he had had enough of the limelight to last him a lifetime. I think the reason people have suspected him and Patsy has to do with their reactions not being how we expect people to act. For example, according to the reports, Burke was still sleeping while Patsy called 911. If my child was missing, I would have been asking my other child questions before I called 911. I also remember the full page ad the Ramsey's put in our local paper after the tragedy with a description of the killer. The basic message was "watch your kids cuz a killer is among us." The problem was the description was so generic it could have been anyone. I wish I had saved the paper and could share it here. It was odd and seemed like they were trying to deflect blame. Still, people are entitled to odd reactions when tragedy hits so it doesn't mean they are guilty.

One last thought, does anyone know if the oldest son was officially cleared along with John, Patsy and Burke?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
The oldest son had an alibi that he went to a movie with a friend.

As for Mr. Ramsey, he acted just like a sociopath. He just had no clue how it would look to others when he ran for public office.

There are many layers to this entire sordid affair, and I am pretty sure Patsy Ramsey went to her grave, knowing exactly who killed Jon Benet.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 11,188 times
They were suspects for a long time because Patsy very obviously wrote the silly ransom note. Without that goof by the Ramsey's, it would have never been the thing it became.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:42 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Oh yes Mr Ramsey woke up in the middle of the night, grabbed a rope, tied it around his daughters neck, dragged her down the steps into the cellar, Patsy wakes up says what's going on, oh okay she says, hey I'll write a ransom note for the police, okay let's go back to bed now, blah blah blah.

That ^^ is about as far fetched as many of the posts here about this case. The POLICE, the FBI, and all other authorities have CLEARED the Ramsey's of any and all charges in this case.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:29 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
^^^If you've ever read The Cases That Haunt Us, by John Douglas, you will find the details that people on this thread don't bother to discuss, like the missing basement window. Douglas, who started the FBI profiling division, was a consultant on the Jon Benet Ramsey case, and he believes it was someone outside the family. He makes a good argument for it.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Yes. I have looked at the website with detailed alibi information that ruled out the Ramsey's. But, there are still inconsistencies that bother me, like the unexplained 911 call from the Ramsey home the previous night.

I have not studied this extensively...it is just sad.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:47 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yes. I have looked at the website with detailed alibi information that ruled out the Ramsey's. But, there are still inconsistencies that bother me, like the unexplained 911 call from the Ramsey home the previous night.

I have not studied this extensively...it is just sad.
Hmm, I don't remember that part. I haven't studied it extensively, either. But when I read about the case in the Douglas book, I was surprised to learn that there was a broken/missing window in the Ramsey's basement that had been that way for a few weeks and hadn't been repaired and that access to the house could have been gained that way. Never once have I read that anywhere else. I think the idea that anyone could have gotten into the house through a basement window is a pretty big factor.

I didn't not follow the story in-depth from the beginning because I know how badly newspapers/other media report things and I'd rather wait and read a book or a good, well-written article with the whole story. News outlets pick and choose the most sensational bits of the stories, but often omit details that leave misinterpretations open.

In a current story--look how many people out there believe that a Rutgers student posted a video of his gay roommate having sex on the Internet. Didn't happen, but people believe it did (the Rutgers student and one friend watched the roommate kissing his date on a webcam and tweeted about it.

I was on a murder trial jury once. I followed the rules and didn't read the paper and asked my mother to hold the newspaper articles about the trial for me until after it was over. When I read the articles, it became apparent that the reporting of what happened at the trial was about ten percent of what the story really was. The reporter (who later wrote a comprehensive book about the case) would pick up on one little aspect of the day's testimony and make his story about that. Not telling the rest of the story could lead readers to think something very different was said in the testimony.

You're absolutely right. It is sad. A child was murdered, and the case has not been solved.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:03 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
you will find the details... like the missing basement window. Douglas, who started the FBI profiling division, was a consultant on the Jon Benet Ramsey case, and he believes it was someone outside the family.
Here's a link to that: JonBenet Ramsey Case Encyclopedia / The Basement
and a photo of an open window in the bathroom: http://www.acandyrose.com/window-basement1.jpg

As for the 911 call made on Dec 23 (which was two nights before JonBenet was killed), the Boulder police said it was made by a drunken guest at the Ramsey's Christmas party held that night. Apparently the call ended before the dispatcher could talk to the person on the line.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:47 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,378,153 times
How many people call 911 when they are drunk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime