Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:34 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,890,773 times

Advertisements

We only travel with a carry on a piece. However I think the airlines will be cracking down on that some day as the fad catches on. We have been harassed a number of times about the size of our carry on that has always been fine in the past. We are planning a trip to Scotland in the near future and I sure don't want to haul around large suit cases when we will be on the road a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 01:20 PM

10,410 posts, read 8,119,456 times
Your best best to avoid hassles at the gate, animalcrazy, is to forgo wheeled cases and use a small duffel-bag with a maximum length of only 21-22" (like the Red Oxx Sun Chaser). The gate agents seem to zero in on wheeled cases with an almost laser-like focus, but don't pay too much attention to truly small duffel bags.

If that doesn't provide enough packing room, maybe add a single SMALL suitcase (which you will check) for some added room. Two small duffels, one small suitcase, and two small personal items wouldn't be too burdensom on a road trip.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:42 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,219,607 times
We only travel with carry ons. Once we get to where we're going, we hit up a thrift shop to buy the stuff we need for whatever area we are visiting and then give it back at the end of the vacation. We don't have clothing or supplies for very many climate zones (we live in Hawaii) so what with the hassle of buying special vacation clothes (not many stores carry cold weather clothes around here, "not many" as in "none") added to the cost of checked luggage it just isn't worth it to check luggage. We always end up spending less at the thrift shop than the cost of checking a bag, too.

The duffle bag sounds like a good idea. Easy to make, too, so it wouldn't match everyone else's luggage.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:28 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,325,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
We always end up spending less at the thrift shop than the cost of checking a bag, too.
I hope you figure in the cost of laundering all that stuff before wearing it. Ick.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:26 PM

8,007 posts, read 5,458,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Yup. Just another way that they try to establish superiority over other travelers.

Check, carry on ... it matters not. Being able to pack for a trip around the world in a tiny bag doesn't make you any better a human being than anyone else.

All that matters is that no matter how much stuff you travel with, you are capable of handling your stuff on your own. Nothing bugs me more than people who carry on more than they can carry or lift, and then expect other passengers to help them with their belongings.
To all of the above!

Old 04-10-2015, 07:12 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,477,899 times
I've only used a carry on for international travel for the past 15 years. this included 1 year in asia, australia and NZ.
I have an original made in USA Patagonia "MLC" which has been great.

This year I am going to go to Europe for 3 months with an even smaller bag. I'm basically just bringing changes of socks, underwear, a set of running clothes and a macbook air. If I need new clothes I'll buy them there.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:35 PM

3,271 posts, read 5,053,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I've only used a carry on for international travel for the past 15 years. this included 1 year in asia, australia and NZ.
I have an original made in USA Patagonia "MLC" which has been great.

This year I am going to go to Europe for 3 months with an even smaller bag. I'm basically just bringing changes of socks, underwear, a set of running clothes and a macbook air. If I need new clothes I'll buy them there.
"IF I need new clothes"? Are you planning on wearing the same clothes every day for 3 months???

Old 04-12-2015, 04:24 PM

7,832 posts, read 11,879,690 times
you can get a set of clothes for a 7 day cycle and then just wash them as you go. Synthetics (nylon/polyester) dry very rapidly, very easy to wash them with soap/water in the sink and have them dry overnight. The key is to avoid cotton and cotton based fabrics such as denim since cotton takes an eternity to dry.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,308,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Maybe sometimes, but I do not kid when I say I have done self-serve laundry at the Four Seasons.
I realize that, if you'll notice I even mentioned self serve laundry at the Ritz Carlton and InterContinental. but not all of them.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:50 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,308,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Yup. Just another way that they try to establish superiority over other travelers.

Check, carry on ... it matters not. Being able to pack for a trip around the world in a tiny bag doesn't make you any better a human being than anyone else.

All that matters is that no matter how much stuff you travel with, you are capable of handling your stuff on your own. Nothing bugs me more than people who carry on more than they can carry or lift, and then expect other passengers to help them with their belongings.
I don't think anyone has said they are superior. I do agree that people should be able to manage their own luggage or check it. The ONLY exception to that would be a disabled person who has their medications or medical equipment in a carry on bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel