Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 08:12 AM

950 posts, read 935,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I check all bags on Southwest. It makes my walks through airports a lot more easily and have never in 30+ years lost a bag. I would NEVER place anything of value in a checked bag.
Same here !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 08:15 AM

I never understood why checking in baggage is considered such a " hassle"

What really is a "hassle" is waiting to board or exit an airplane and being held up people trying to stuff/retrieve their big bags they are cramming into the overhead storage.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,362,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post

What really is a "hassle" is waiting to board or exit an airplane and being held up people trying to stuff/retrieve their big bags they are cramming into the overhead storage.
Time is money.

I get to the airport and go directly to the PreCheck line with my preprinted boarding pass. I am through the line and on my way to my gate, arriving just as pre-boarding begins. When I board (Zone 1) I toss my bag in the overhead and purse or cross body under my seat and sit down.

When the plane lands I get my bag out of the overhead (it is light enough to easily pick it up or take it out without the worry of hitting someone) and walk off the plane and straight to the car rental place (where my pre-rented car is waiting for me, no need to stand in line there, either) or my ride.

Total time in airports--around 45 minutes.

If I checked a bag I'd need to be there 90 minutes before my flight, and then I'd have to go to the bag claim and wait for my bag which is typically 45-60 minutes, in Orlando I've waited over two hours.

Total time checking a bag--minimum two hours 15 minutes, but it can be longer. By the time the rubes are getting their bags, I'm in a meeting or laying by the pool with a cold beverage in my hand. That's why I don't check bags.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:13 AM

14,994 posts, read 24,094,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post

It is a hassle. The airlines are to blame for putting in place check-in baggage fees. Now they are dealing with this mess of exactly what you are saying, sometimes it gets so bad that it delays flights with all these passengers trying to find space to cram in there bags, and flight attendants struggling to gate check bags. Anything goes for carry-on baggage. It's becoming a serious problem.
I expect something to happen soon - airlines enforcing carry-on bag sizes or something.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:42 AM

8,115 posts, read 10,218,517 times
Been traveling all over the world for years. NEVER check a bag.

But you can't be stupid about it either. Pack smartly. Have an appropriately sized bag for overhead storage. Get on, put you bag over your seat (if the people in row 66 have already used your space have the cabin crew remove it and out it below), and sit down.

The process works fine, and you have plenty of what you need for several days on the road. There are laundries and dry cleaning services in any place in the world you can access via airplane. Remember that when you pack.

The problem occurs when people get on with three carry-ons, a little brat and car seat in tow, the gifts for grandma, and those automobile transmission parts that grandpa just HAD to have.

One person. One properly sized bag. No problems.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:50 AM

44,239 posts, read 45,139,446 times
For short trips I usually only take a carry-on especially since most airlines started charging check-in baggage fees for USA domestic flights.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:53 AM

50,713 posts, read 64,905,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
I don't actually live anywhere, have been travelling literally 365 days per year for over a decade. So I live out of my suitcase. Everything I own can fit into my carry on luggage. I'll admit I am somewhat of a minimalist, but I don't understand why people feel the need to bring so much crap with them when they travel.
Seriously? That is interesting. What is your job? You will be my inspiration from now on.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

But you can't be stupid about it either. Pack smartly. Have an appropriately sized bag for overhead storage. Get on, put you bag over your seat (if the people in row 66 have already used your space have the cabin crew remove it and out it below), and sit down.

The process works fine, and you have plenty of what you need for several days on the road. There are laundries and dry cleaning services in any place in the world you can access via airplane. Remember that when you pack.

The problem occurs when people get on with three carry-ons, a little brat and car seat in tow, the gifts for grandma, and those automobile transmission parts that grandpa just HAD to have.

I wish every traveler was like you !

It is amazing how long it takes to get off a plane due to many passengers using valuable time struggling to get their huge bags down from the overhead compartments.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:55 AM

50,713 posts, read 64,905,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

So true. The packing problem happens when I am going to an unfamiliar place, and doing unfamiliar things, in changeable weather. Then it is harder than having built up a routine.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:16 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,337,744 times
I occasionally check my bag (even if it's a carry on size). It's not a big deal. If I'm not pressed for time, there's no personal cost involved (Southwest or traveling on the company's dime), and I won't be inconvenienced if the bag is delayed, then I'd much rather hand it over to the airline and not think about it until my destination.

There are occasions when I have no choice but to check bags because of the amount of stuff I have to carry. That's usually due to carrying promotional or training materials, or packing attire for multiple semi-formal events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel