Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 AM

5,149 posts, read 3,426,575 times

Advertisements

Question is it possible to travel with hand-luggage only for a female for a 1 week holiday ? If you did this what did you take with you ? ( travel would be from Europe to USA and back to Europe in 1 week )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 07:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,378,508 times
It's very easy. Choose a neutral color for the bottoms and don't bring anything that doesn't match at least two other things. Bring hand washable tops, wash them out in the evening and let them dry overnight.

It would depend on where and when I was going and what my plans are, but a good start would be:

Two pair of slacks, a below the knee or longer length black skirt, three pair of shorts, four tops for daytime and one more that would work well for dinner that pairs with the skirt. A few sets of underwear/bras (hand wash), something to sleep in, a sweater, and a pair of socks. I'd bring a pair of walking shoes and a pair of comfortable flat sandals that could be worn to dinner with the skirt/top. All of that would easily fit into a 20-21" roll aboard.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:02 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,617,294 times
But where would you put your souvenirs??? Seriously. I always come back with way more than I take.

I've tried traveling with only hand luggage, and to me it's just not worth the hassle. But if you're set on it, I did find a lot of advice on Rick Steve's site, since he is a HUGE supporter of traveling light: Graffiti Wall: Tricks for Packing Light

Enjoy your trip -- where are you going?

Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 AM

Buy small items that fit into the cracks and crevices--silk scarves, jewelry, etc. Your best souvenirs will be the memories (I strongly suggest taking a small notebook to write your memories down in daily while you sit in a cafe and drink a coffee or glass of wine) and photos.

When traveling through Europe it's far easier (and a lot cheaper) to travel light.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:45 AM

7,428 posts, read 12,868,156 times
But then you'd have to travel without toiletries (limited liquids and creams in your carry-on) and buy everything there, and dump them when going home. Besides, some international airlines limit carry-ons to lighter, smaller bags these days. You'll end up buying a cheap suitcase there for stuff you buy...which is of course a compromise option . Travel light going out, travel "normal" going home. I've traveled out with one checked bag, and back with two (+ fee)...

Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
But then you'd have to travel without toiletries (limited liquids and creams in your carry-on) and buy everything there, and dump them when going home. Besides, some international airlines limit carry-ons to lighter, smaller bags these days. You'll end up buying a cheap suitcase there for stuff you buy...which is of course a compromise option . Travel light going out, travel "normal" going home. I've traveled out with one checked bag, and back with two (+ fee)...
You don't have to travel without toiletries.

I've gone three week in a 3-1-1 bag and only had to buy hairspray.

My bag contained:

Sample packet of shampoo and body wash "just in case" (I use the soap and shampoo provided by the hotel)
2 ounce conditioner
3 ounce body oil
2 ounce face wash
3 ounce hairspray
2 ounce hair cream
1.5 ounce face cream
3 ounce hand cream
1 ounce liquid laundry soap for hand washing
2 travel size toothpaste
anti-bacterial hand gel

I also packed the following toiletries which didn't need to go into the 3-1-1 bag:

Makeup remover towelettes
Solid stick deodorant
Makeup
Baby wipes
emery board, nail clipper, toothbrush, hairbrush, etc.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,074,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Question is it possible to travel with hand-luggage only for a female for a 1 week holiday ? If you did this what did you take with you ? ( travel would be from Europe to USA and back to Europe in 1 week )
Yes. I've done it hundreds of time. When I was in my teen, my eldest brother taught me how to pack by saying if while carrying my luggage (this was before rolling luggage came into existence), I could not run after a bus/train that was about to leave the station, then I packed too much.

More than four decades and 60+ countries in my travel itinerary later, I still travel with only a cabin luggage for any two-week trip (the one I have been using for the last 15 years is 19 inches and non expandable.) BTW, the ridiculous image of running after a train was not ridiculous after all. I also had done it many times, while wearing boots with heels and pulling along my luggage, and every time I did it, I mentally gave thanks to my brother for his savviness.

Annerk gave you a good list of what to bring as toiletries (I don't use hair products and I use hotel shampoo to wash my undergarments so my list of toiletries is shorter.) The rest, as your clothing, is up to you. Remember, you don't have to change your outfits daily while travelling. They are usually not dirty that fast and no one would know you wear the sort of same outfit three days in one week anyway. Mix and match. Use scarves to change the look.

Another BTW: Since you will stay in American hotels, assuming the hotels are of good rating (3 stars and above,) you woudn't even need to bring your own hand cream, body lotion, hair comb, toothpaste, and toothbrush. The hotels will provide all of that, and when you need for more, just ask. Toothpaste and toothbrush are kinda skimpy, but the rest of the toiletries are of very good, high, or very high quality. I've seen Lush, Crabtree & Evelyn, Bliss, Caswell-Massey, Bath & Body Works, Paul Mitchell, Aveda, Gilchrist & Soames, Pantene, Garden Botanika, Aqua di Parma
, Fresh, Kiehl's, Tommy Bahama, etc. Ask ahead of time for the brand name of their toiletries, you'll be surprised.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 02-15-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 02:26 PM

7,428 posts, read 12,868,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You don't have to travel without toiletries.

I've gone three week in a 3-1-1 bag and only had to buy hairspray.

My bag contained:

Sample packet of shampoo and body wash "just in case" (I use the soap and shampoo provided by the hotel)
2 ounce conditioner
3 ounce body oil
2 ounce face wash
3 ounce hairspray
2 ounce hair cream
1.5 ounce face cream
3 ounce hand cream
1 ounce liquid laundry soap for hand washing
2 travel size toothpaste
anti-bacterial hand gel

I also packed the following toiletries which didn't need to go into the 3-1-1 bag:

Makeup remover towelettes
Solid stick deodorant
Makeup
Baby wipes
emery board, nail clipper, toothbrush, hairbrush, etc.

Yeah, that's what I carry, in little bottles/containers. And then there are medicated creams/gels/contact solutions that some of us use. Some airlines put a limit on those. Heathrow, for example, has a much stricter view on carry-on items than over here in the US. And then, if the OP has a heavy carry-on and can't muscle it up into the overhead compartment, then we know that you (from a previous thread) will not be inclined to step up to the plate and help... And then she'll have to check it, anyway! I prefer to carry a few items that I have control over and which can't get lost, in my carry-on, and then a suitcase for the insured expendables that may get lost, anyway...But we all have our different styles. I have developed mine during 30+ years of overseas travels. It works for me. If you can live out of a carry-on in Europe, all the more power to you!

Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 AM

44,266 posts, read 45,196,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Yes definitely. I have done it for longer periods than just one week. One takes clothing that one can mix and match.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 AM

62,802 posts, read 89,061,932 times
Absolutely! and this is a very wise choice. Get a soft carry-in luggage. Those are easier to fit into overhead storage.
Put the heaviest and most bulky clothing on. Take a big handbag/purse and put in toiletry. Pack mix&match clothing you can combine in many ways.

I only take make-up with me. Hair care/soap/lotions/toothpaste and such I buy at destination. Those things are cheap pretty much everywhere. No reason to take a soap, shampoo, or laundry liquid with you ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel