Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
A second body is a good idea. I find my best quality pics are with my nifty 50, but then I want to switch to a wider angle and then have to change the lens. Still never feels like work.
D50 or 50mm prime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 11:36 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
D50 or 50mm prime?
50mm prime.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Question is it possible to travel with hand-luggage only for a female for a 1 week holiday ? If you did this what did you take with you ? ( travel would be from Europe to USA and back to Europe in 1 week )
It is very possible. There is a video but I can't remember where that shows how to pack for a week. I watched it, have followed it (to some degree) and am amazed at how much we could get into a roll on. You, of course need a lot of mix and match outfits and need to limit the shoes to a couple of pair. We were limited to how much we could take, we were traveling from AR to Canada for 3 nights and then onto a cruise ship for 12 days. We needed to combine fall and summer because of weather changes. We did it. If I have time I will try and locate the information.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
But where would you put your souvenirs??? Seriously. I always come back with way more than I take.

I've tried traveling with only hand luggage, and to me it's just not worth the hassle. But if you're set on it, I did find a lot of advice on Rick Steve's site, since he is a HUGE supporter of traveling light: Graffiti Wall: Tricks for Packing Light

Enjoy your trip -- where are you going?
The souvenirs become less of a problem as we travel more. I remember buying things for eveyone we knew, plus bring all kinds of stuff home for oursleves when we first started traveling, especially when we went out of the country. Now, we bring home almost nothing. I can't remember a thing we brought home from our last cruise. .

Old 02-16-2013, 01:28 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
I'm intending to do a 10-day trip to Portugal next month, with carry-on only. We have a nice pair of roll-aboards that are pretty spacious, plus small carry-on bags that sit on top for wheeling through airline terminals.

The small bags will contain all of our precious stuff--camera, cellphones, chargers, prescriptions, jewellery. I will leave room in one of these to stuff in my purse if required. And then if some airline is particularly strict, we can always check the roll-aboards.

I don't have a problem with liquids--I take travel-sized shampoo,toothpaste, moisturizer etc, and very minimal makeup--if I need something there, I'll buy it.

As for clothing--Lisbon and Porto in March--12-15C perhaps, warmer if we're lucky, so a jacket and umbrella. Good walking shoes which I will wear on the plane. A pair of walking sandals and perhaps another nicer pair for evening. A couple of pair of pants, some t-shirts and a couple of blouses, perhaps a long-sleeved nicer blouse to wear over to be a little dressier, a hoodie for when it's chilly. I don't generally wear skirts or dresses except on cruises, so I probably won't bother--might throw in a long skirt if I have room.

So to the OP, it depends where youare going, at what time of year, and what you will be doing. Obviously packing for New York in February would be different than packing for Florida in April, or San Francisco in August.

Oh yes, and a scarf or two to liven things up!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:41 PM

FYI--If you are flying a European carrier, your roll on's better not be too big. They are very strict and use sizer bins and weight them. 20" high is the limit--you might be able to get away with 20 1/2". nothing more. Also your purse will be counted as a carry on, plan on stashing it before you get to the gate so you don't hold up the boarding process.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The souvenirs become less of a problem as we travel more. I remember buying things for eveyone we knew, plus bring all kinds of stuff home for oursleves when we first started traveling, especially when we went out of the country. Now, we bring home almost nothing. I can't remember a thing we brought home from our last cruise. .
We only buy souvenirs for nieces and nephews and a Godchild. Small things that pack easily. Murano glass bracelets for the girls, belts from Argentina for the boys, you get the idea. We don't buy them from everywhere we visit, and we refuse to buy things like tacky t-shirts but rather something made locally that reflects the sense of place where we buy it.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default Ladies 2010 Olympic venue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Question is it possible to travel with hand-luggage only for a female for a 1 week holiday ? If you did this what did you take with you ? ( travel would be from Europe to USA and back to Europe in 1 week )
virtually all of the NBC News Olympic guests (ladies) travelled with two pieces of luggage. But they travel a lot so they're pretty good at it. I didn't get to see inside, though, but it obviously can be done.

the record, by the way, was the wifey of the owner of the New Orleans Saints. She came with 28 pieces! Must be new money.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:51 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
I always travel light, but it's harder when going from a cold climate TO a cold climate ... sweaters take up a lot of space!

I was going to ask when exactly the OP is traveling, but everyone else has given great advice so I think anything I can add would be redundant.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
virtually all of the NBC News Olympic guests (ladies) travelled with two pieces of luggage. But they travel a lot so they're pretty good at it. I didn't get to see inside, though, but it obviously can be done.
I think the more traveled people are, they more likely they are to know how to pack light.

Quote:
the record, by the way, was the wifey of the owner of the New Orleans Saints. She came with 28 pieces! Must be new money.
That's obscene! I don't own enough crap to fill 28 suitcases!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel