Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 08:46 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,013,210 times

Advertisements

Carry on only alllllll the time. So simple. And cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 09:07 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,302,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
I don't actually live anywhere, have been travelling literally 365 days per year for over a decade. So I live out of my suitcase. Everything I own can fit into my carry on luggage. I'll admit I am somewhat of a minimalist, but I don't understand why people feel the need to bring so much crap with them when they travel.
wow sounds like a cool lifestyle (for some anyhow), are you retired or do you still work?

Either way I bet you feel much freer than most!

Old 04-08-2015, 09:10 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,963,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
I wish every traveler was like you !

It is amazing how long it takes to get off a plane due to many passengers using valuable time struggling to get their huge bags down from the overhead compartments.

One huge bag for every member of the entourage, including the 3 year old and old grandma.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:18 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,963,061 times
This thread reaffirms my choice to drive to locations rather than fly unless it be across country or oceans.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:19 PM

4,282 posts, read 4,564,027 times
All my international trips (5) except one were carry on only. The exception was a trip requiring tools while traveling with a group which had to be checked in cargo.
Not a big deal for 3 weeks internationally. I take an airplane spec size small roller suitcase (22h x 15 w x7 d) and a half sling backpack. Roller above in storage bin, backpack at feet. Not a big deal as I take laundry travel packs to do some clothing items which I can - in hotel bathroom sink (underwear, socks, poly travel shirts).

Old 04-09-2015, 01:20 AM

834 posts, read 1,231,072 times
Airlines are zooming in on us 'no check in' fliers: Recently flew with Jetstar (lower price sister of Quantas) and they allow only 15 LBS of carry-on. I managed to get 3 week supplies into a carry-on, but 15 LBS is tough even for a few days.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:44 AM

8,015 posts, read 5,477,099 times
I check luggage all the time. I just can't do just the carry only.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:18 AM

2,213 posts, read 1,868,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Airlines are zooming in on us 'no check in' fliers: Recently flew with Jetstar (lower price sister of Quantas) and they allow only 15 LBS of carry-on. I managed to get 3 week supplies into a carry-on, but 15 LBS is tough even for a few days.
I had the same thing happen on Etihad. I don't understand the reasoning behind this. It can't be because it would add to the airplane's overall weight because I could check the bag with no fee. So what is the purpose of limiting the amount I deal with in the cabin?

Old 04-09-2015, 03:16 AM

6,800 posts, read 5,573,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I've decided to henceforth travel only with carry on regardless of length of trip. My new pack of choice is the Osprey Porter 46. Coupled with a small REI Flash 22 daypack (that I can essentially roll up into the main pack) it's plenty!

How many here do carry on ONLY travel for longer international trips (10+ days)?
We had learned very early on from our travels to go CARRY-ON only! BE SURE to find out what the airlines you fly consider "carry on" and get the maixmum size you can deal with.

A carry on is PLENTY as you said IF one does it right.

Take only 1/2 of what you first think you need, then halve it again!

Pack mix and match clothing that will also wash in the same load. MOSt "substantial" places have a laundry inhouse or nearby anymore, particularly here in the USA. FIND out before going if they do. IF not take only things that are easy to hand wash in a sink and will dry quickly and won't wringle. hIgh polyester content will usually do the trick! GO to BEd Bath and Beyond or online and look for laundry soap flat strips..easy, small compact for those hand washings.

MOST everything can be worn at least twice or thrice before washing. as gross as it sounds, in a pinch, unless you have truely soiled them, even undies can be worn twice!

6 outfits, if worn twice, should get one 12 days of wearing before laundry is needed. Three times wearing means, of course, 18 days. Rinse and repeat.

PACK youself at least ONE ROLL OF 1000 sheet toilet paper! You just never know what area or place ISN'T going to have some or enough! SAMe with wipes! Baby wipes can come in great handy, and come in compact sizes!

Old 04-09-2015, 05:17 AM

622 posts, read 532,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
What makes you think he doesn't wash his clothes? You know that hotels have washing machines, right? Then there's also hand washing in the sink and hanging to dry.

Personally, I couldn't live out of a suitcase. I need a home to return to, and more belongings than I can fit in a suitcase. But if it works for him, I don't criticize.
Hotel laundry services are usually outsourced, not done on the premises. Regardless of that, you don't usually get clothes back until the next day.

Equally, washing by hand means clothes probably won't dry in time for the following day's flight. They certainly won't be ironed either unless he's lugging an iron around with him as well.

I was probably out of order though re: my remark about body odour. My apologies for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel