Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:45 PM

30,786 posts, read 18,556,520 times

Advertisements

The duffel-bag would work for some, but it would be hell for me to carry around a 20+ pound bag (that is, unless the duffel-bag has wheels, which would seem to defeat the point of some of the above posts). When I travel, I rely heavily on public transportation, which often includes walking not insubstantial distances to get from point A to point B. Thus, wheels come in handy for me and I can't see myself doing anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 06:34 AM

10,408 posts, read 8,094,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The duffel-bag would work for some, but it would be hell for me to carry around a 20+ pound bag (that is, unless the duffel-bag has wheels, which would seem to defeat the point of some of the above posts). When I travel, I rely heavily on public transportation, which often includes walking not insubstantial distances to get from point A to point B. Thus, wheels come in handy for me and I can't see myself doing anything else.
That's fine as long as you realize that on some domestic flights you'll have to gate-check your bag (because it won't fit in the overhead bin), and that on some international carriers you may not be able to pack your rollaboard lightly enough for it to be permitted as a carryon. Wheels are nice, but they come at a price (namely added weight and a rigid, inflexible frame).

One advantage of NOT trying to go carryon only is that you can use wheeled luggage without any issues. You just check the wheeled bag if it's going to be too heavy to meet carryon limits.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:38 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,650,191 times
You people act like you have carry on luggage when you actually have giant suitcases that you can barely stuff into the overhead compartments and would never actually fit into the little box they tell you to measure it by out at the gate.
Really makes me mad because it's just a ploy not to have to pay to check your luggage.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,258,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You people act like you have carry on luggage when you actually have giant suitcases that you can barely stuff into the overhead compartments and would never actually fit into the little box they tell you to measure it by out at the gate.
Really makes me mad because it's just a ploy not to have to pay to check your luggage.
My carry on is 20" wheels to handle and is not expandable. It easily slips into a sizer box with room to spare. Some of us have figured out how to pack.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:50 AM

10,408 posts, read 8,094,422 times
Quote:
Nope. My Osprey Porter 46 (which I am using for my upcoming trip) and my RedOxx Sun Chaser duffel (which I used on my last trip) both fit into the sizer perfectly. Both weight less than 15 lbs when fully loaded. Hardly "giant suitcases."

Quote:
Nope. I don't pay a dime extra to check a bag when I fly on either United or American (my usual airlines) as a free checked bag is a perk offered by their airline credit cards (both of which I have).

I avoid checking bags mostly to avoid seriously delayed/lost luggage and theft from checked bags (both of which I've experienced in the past).

Old 04-13-2015, 07:04 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,315,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't think anyone has said they are superior. I do agree that people should be able to manage their own luggage or check it. The ONLY exception to that would be a disabled person who has their medications or medical equipment in a carry on bag.
Of course no one's going to come right out and say they are superior. But it seems fairly clear that many people feel that way. At least to me it does.

And I agree with your exception, and I might add the elderly. I don't really expect a little ole' 80 year old woman to lift anything over her head.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:52 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,258,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Of course no one's going to come right out and say they are superior. But it seems fairly clear that many people feel that way. At least to me it does.

And I agree with your exception, and I might add the elderly. I don't really expect a little ole' 80 year old woman to lift anything over her head.
Some 80 year old's are quite capable. Those who aren't should check their bags. Unless they contain medications/medical devices of course.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:43 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,983,956 times
Bringing burdensome carry-on luggage is no different than checking burdensome luggage, except by doing the former you stand to inconvenience your fellow passengers. By the doing the latter you only inconvenience yourself.

I'm a big proponent of very light packing, and after some travels together my wife is an enthusiastic convert- we basically never check anything, and we don't bring oversized carry-ons onboard either. But of course this kind of very light packing is not going to be desirable or practical to some groups of people. But for those for which it it, it can be so freeing.

Don't confuse someone having what, for them, might be a superior experience with them thinking they are themselves "superior".

Old 04-13-2015, 11:16 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,315,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Don't confuse someone having what, for them, might be a superior experience with them thinking they are themselves "superior".
Oh no, not at all. It's the ones who seem to think that it's stupid for ANYONE to check a bag, and there's absolutely no reason that ANYONE should need more than a tiny backpack for a 2 week trip, and they NEVER check a bag, and they're so much better at traveling than everyone else.

(not pointing at anyone in particular, but if anyone gets offended at that, it's probably because they recognize themselves in my statement, and they just don't want to admit there's truth to it. )

Old 04-13-2015, 12:09 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,854,709 times
Quote:
The person that you should be mad at is the airline because other than a way to get more money from passengers, there is no purpose for the fee. At least something like an overweight fee make sense cause you can think of it as covering any expense that the airline may pay for a worker injured handling a heavy bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel