Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 42,230 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if any of you people who know Toledo could point out the bad areas for me. My husband and I recently moved nearby. We once had an urge for a White Castle, ( ok, no gutbomber jokes...lol We are Michiganians ) and we went on the internet, found the address and drove there. In the dark. We could tell the further we drove, the worse the neighborhood looked. We had to turn around on a side street and we were ran out of the area (literally!) by lots of folks just standing on the streets, drinking, talking etc.

I don't want to unknowingly go into any more bad neighborhoods, during the day or at night. Mapquest doesn't tell you if it's a good neighborhood or a bad one, unfortunately. The White Castle was off Cherry St and E. Bancroft. I can safely assume that is not a neighborhood I want to go to again.

Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 10:28 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,047 times
Yeah, I couldn't envision myself taking a drive around Bancroft & Cherry that time of night either. I just usually avoid the section of Toledo that encompasses Detroit, Dorr, Nebraska and the West wall of I-75. Parts of Collingwood Blvd. can get sketchy at night too. I just have no need to be there at that time.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:00 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,706 times
I grew up in Toledo and went to Start High School. One day after complaining that all of us on the cross country team were going too slow on our runs our coach upheld his threat to drop us off in the 'hood and let us find our way back to school. So he dropped us off in the general area of Bancroft & Cherry and told us he would meet us back at school. Needless to say we ran pretty fast back to school.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 AM

154 posts, read 605,967 times
Oakwood, Nebraska, Brown Ave., Indiana Ave., and the surrounding areas aren't the best. I used to work in that area and I'd hear about drive by shootings and the occasional dead body

Old 09-20-2007, 02:17 PM

174 posts, read 697,924 times
southside

Bellmont

Old 01-10-2008, 08:37 PM

9 posts, read 106,522 times
is headliners in toledo in a bad area? i'm considering going to a big conert there. should I be very careful? where are good places to park?

Old 01-10-2008, 08:42 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,984 times
That is probably the worst area of Toledo. The heart of North Toledo is an extremely rough area, but I'm sorry to inform you that that's probably the only white castle in Toledo.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:55 PM

78 posts, read 353,617 times
Yes, North Toledo is by far the worst.

Basically the area bordered by Secor/Byrne rd to the west, the turnpike to the south, Laskey Rd to the north, and I-280 to the east are the hi crime ghetto areas.

The worst of the worst-- hawley and dorr street area, ontario/huron/bush streets in north end. Most of the east side close to the river is a "bad" area. Basically any street that has the name of a major lake, a president, or one of the US states is a no go.

I was dropping a car off at a downtown automotive shop today with a friend (his car) and the owner of the shop told us not to lock the car because "they" will just break the windows to get in and burglarize it-- if you leave it unlocked, you wont get as much damage he says---- we paid for an extra tow just to get the car back out of there and to a shop in a safe area. Unbelievable.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:51 PM

8 posts, read 71,593 times
Default bad areas of Toledo

What some out-of-towners may not understand is what defines "north" or "east" Toledo. It is much easier to think of north as looking up the Maumee River towards Lake Erie. So basically, North Toledo is northeast toledo, East Toledo is Southeast Toledo. West Toledo is Northwest and South Toledo is Southwest. Sorry if I offend anybody, but North Toledo, as mentioned, is pretty rough to say the least. That's pretty much anything east of Cherry St.
The East Side has some really rough pockets as well. There is a large project under way to make a large park and retail center on the east side of Maumee River. I think the hope is that the area cleans up a little bit. I have hope.
Other than hawley and dorr street area, ontario/huron/bush being bad areas, I have to disagree with Daytrepper. North of the UT campus is Ottawa Park and Ottawa Hills- absolutely gorgeous. East of UT goes from college housing to hood pretty quickly. But Laskey is definitely not bad. Nothing north of Central is that bad until you're east of 75.
As for presidents and lakes, that's half correct. Lakes are bad east of Cherry. The presidents are all downtown. It's close to bad areas but downtown itself is not that bad. I'm not saying to take walks at 3AM or anything, but it's much safer than it's close neighbors.
Also, there's a pocket south of downtown. A triangle defined by Detroit/Fearing down to South Avenue, and west of 75- not pretty.
For Parkram412, Headliners is a popular place for concerts. There's typically enough room for parking in the lot. Just stay with the crowds. I haven't personally heard of many bad things at Headliners, but that's not to say they don't happen.

Sorry for the lengthiness.

-Marshall

Old 01-20-2008, 03:52 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
I have been to Toledo a few times but Im not that familiar with the city. I always thought that the worst areas of Toledo were the areas just west and southwest of downtown. Overall I dont think Toledo looked that bad but it was worse than average, but I heard last year the city only had like 12 murders, and Cleveland had 134. The central Toledo area looked pretty bad but once I got out of the main core it was all pretty nice or at least middle class looking, nothing too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo