Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 05:23 PM

5 posts, read 30,400 times

Advertisements

I'm from Toledo and moved 4 years ago because I just couldn't take it. There was one time I went to Headliners and around the venue (parking lot) is safe but when we called a cab he got lost in the neighborhood and there was a guy on the corner at 2 am with a gun is his hand just waiting at the stop sign. Ultra creepy. Toledo has it's good points but normally the cops are terrible in the safe areas. For me, the more I found out about different areas as I grew up, the more it seemed to be turning into Detroit. I think most safe areas like maumee (minute problems at night) perrysburg (cops suck there!), ottawa hills (if you can afford it), sylvania (again with the cops) and west toledo are safe places. Personally I just couldn't take it there. Too depressing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 09:05 AM

21 posts, read 139,692 times
Default Toledo is not the greatest city in the first place

Heyy, ya that area is pretty bad, i live in one of the worst areas of toledo, Hawley-Colburn in the Dirty SouthEnd, but the East side is dirty but not too bad except maybe the wiler-homes/artis place, the west aint soo bad mostly except scott high school areas, collingwood, westwood, cherry, south ave., bancroft, are generally all bad, nebraska, dorr, airport, westwood, anthony wayne trail are all bad in parts but nice in others the south and north are what u have to worry about, the worst part of toledo maybe ontario or lagrange in the north, and hawley, collingwood, or junction in the south bellmont is bad too, along with buckingham or other side street off Detroit, A very bad area is X-block on detroit and monroe, downtown is generally bad area franklin maybe tops or jackson, altho cherry around the mission isnt great and jefferson has alot of hookers around tenth. if u plan to have kids the worst schools are woodward in the north libbey to the south and scott to the west they are generally all black schools.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:26 PM

47 posts, read 247,047 times
Every Saturday in The Blade, Toledo's newspaper, they publish a map of the city, with icons for each crime placed on the locations where each crime occurred.

You can see the maps at toledoblade.com --. Do a search for "Suburban Crime Reports" (it covers the whole city--I don't know why it's titled that) and you can see recent reports. It has a zoomable map, and details for each crime that occurred. You'll see a pattern by looking at a few weeks' worth of maps.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:00 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,082 times
There are some rough areas of the city, but compared to the other large cities in Ohio it is the safest. Toledo looks more ghetto than some cities, especially those in the South, because the housing is an older stock with small lots that most people equate with crime.

Someone mentioned 12 murders in the city in a year, but I think that's a little low. 2008 had 20 murders, and that was lower than average. Typically Toledo has murder numbers in the low-to-mid 30s. Still, that's pretty good. Cleveland had 102 murders in 2008. Cleveland is larger than Toledo (~450,000 vs ~310,000), but the per capita murder rate is much higher in Cleveland than Toledo. Per capita, Toledo has the lowest murder rates of any of the 6 largest cities in Ohio.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:28 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Toledo had 12 murders in 2007. That makes the per capita about 4/per 100k. Thats actually below the national average which is almost unheard of (in a very good way) for any large city.

Toledo averages about 20 murders per year though. Which is still a low rate for a city Toledos size, and by far the lowest rate of the largest cities in Ohio.

However, most the other crimes in Toledo are well above average, and it has a lot of decay being an older city. Still, the low murder rate is pretty remarkable.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:32 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,082 times
I probably should have worded my response a little differently. I wasn't disputing that Toledo had 12 murders that year, but I wanted to say that that was an extraordinarily low number for a year and a clear outlier. The year prior Toledo had 35 murders.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:00 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,706 times
Cherry and East Bancroft is not a safe neighborhood at any time of day.

Toledo has an overall crime rate that is fairly low for a larger city, but don't be fooled by this. WHile most of Toledo is very quiet, the bad parts of town are true ghetto areas, with shootings, drug trade, etc.

The parts of town you'll want to avoid most are the near West side area, first and foremost. Taking any of the main drags out of downtown, such as MOnroe St., you'll go through this section of Toledo. Immediately North of downtown is pretty rough as well, around the LaGrange St. area. The other section to be cautious in the East Side. These three sections of town are all high crime, and all low income.

Within the city limits, South Toledo is the quietest. The areas off of Anthony Wayne Trail get nicer as you get closer to Maumee. Maumee is a nice, quiet suburban town, probably the safest Toledo suburb, but not as expensive as Sylvania. I lived in Maumee for five years, and never had any problems with crime. I got panhandled downtown Toledo many times, but never in Maumee. This is a nice, quiet, affordable town with easy car access to the rest of Toledo.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 PM

21 posts, read 139,692 times
Toledo is not one of the safest citys in ohio. its murder rates maybe low for last year but also look at arson, rapes, burglarys and many other crimes and it is wayyyyyy above national avg.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:17 AM

89 posts, read 449,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoBoi4Life View Post
Toledo is not one of the safest citys in ohio. its murder rates maybe low for last year but also look at arson, rapes, burglarys and many other crimes and it is wayyyyyy above national avg.
cleveland still has it beat by a LONG shot.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:07 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoBoi4Life View Post
Just out of the larger cities: Cleveland, Youngstown, and Dayton are definitely more dangerous. Cincinnati, Canton, Springfield, and Lorain are as bad or worse than Toledo. Not to mention all the smaller cities like East Cleveland that are as bad or much worse than Toledo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo