Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 04:10 AM

10 posts, read 93,443 times

Advertisements

Hello I am a teacher from Spain and I am going to take part in a program of visiting teachers in the USa to teach Spanish there. I went for Ohio and I am pretty interested in Toledo, but before my interview in Madrid I would very much love to know which zones are the best in temrs of tranquility, scenery... I want to avoid those danger areas, but at the same time I would like to live in a place where I can find many things to do.. HA! I think I am too demanding, uh?

Thank you so much for your help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 10:01 AM

143 posts, read 872,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilar View Post
Hello I am a teacher from Spain and I am going to take part in a program of visiting teachers in the USa to teach Spanish there. I went for Ohio and I am pretty interested in Toledo, but before my interview in Madrid I would very much love to know which zones are the best in temrs of tranquility, scenery... I want to avoid those danger areas, but at the same time I would like to live in a place where I can find many things to do.. HA! I think I am too demanding, uh?

Thank you so much for your help in advance.
Theres one poster on here who bashes Toledo to no end, its not as bad as he/she puts it out to be. Overall the city does has its fair share of hidden jewels.Although it wouldve been better if you visited during the warmer months. The Metro Parks are good places to take in scenery theres 12 of them and from what I hear thier building another one in the downtown area soon so you have plenty of options..My favorite is oak openings..They are all free of charge..

http://www.metroparkstoledo.com/metroparks/

http://www.toledogarden.org/

I strongly encourge you to check out "The lights before Christmas" at the Zoo and the Glass Pavilion at the Art Muesem. Both institutions are ranked nationally in terms of quality and depth.

Toledo has one of the lower crime rates compared to other Ohio urban areas, as with any U.S. city, crime is concentrated in certain parts of the Central city..North Toledo tends to be in the news alot for crime. Most of the crime occurs between gang members or people who live the criminal lifestyle. Innocent people arent usually targeted.

Last edited by vader; 12-02-2006 at 10:14 AM..

Old 12-02-2006, 02:40 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
Toledo has one of the best art museums and zoos in the country. This is not my opinion, this was voted on a national level. Toledo has some nice suburbs located on the western side of the city. The government there is currently trying to reshape the city, and they are doing a great job as many new projects will soon be started in Toledo and the sorrounding metro area. Many projects are going to start up in 2008.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:52 PM

123 posts, read 560,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
Theres one poster on here who bashes Toledo to no end, its not as bad as he/she puts it out to be. Overall the city does has its fair share of hidden jewels.Although it wouldve been better if you visited during the warmer months. The Metro Parks are good places to take in scenery theres 12 of them and from what I hear thier building another one in the downtown area soon so you have plenty of options..My favorite is oak openings..They are all free of charge..

http://www.metroparkstoledo.com/metroparks/

http://www.toledogarden.org/

I strongly encourge you to check out "The lights before Christmas" at the Zoo and the Glass Pavilion at the Art Muesem. Both institutions are ranked nationally in terms of quality and depth.

Toledo has one of the lower crime rates compared to other Ohio urban areas, as with any U.S. city, crime is concentrated in certain parts of the Central city..North Toledo tends to be in the news alot for crime. Most of the crime occurs between gang members or people who live the criminal lifestyle. Innocent people arent usually targeted.
Heh, and that would be me. Although I dislike Toledo, I still think there are decent areas to live in here. It's not entirely bad, just not for me.

Personally, I would suggest Sylvania, Perrysburg, Maumee, or Monclova as "good" areas to live. They are all suburbs with very low crime, and are generally upscale. I would definitely recommend one of them.

Toledo is a great place for you if you have a family, and good employment. Make sure you secure that before moving here. For singles, this is not the place to be. It is also not the place to be if you like to experience a lot of culture, outdoors (there is not much scenery here, flat as a table), or memorable and unique activities. There are some great things to do here, but usually they are only good for the first few times. It is the place to be if you like restaurants, sportsbars, and having fun with the kids.

Oak Openings metropark is probably the best outdoors experience here, as well as the botanical gardens, like vader said. There is also Lake Erie, with parks such as Crane Creek, and Magee Marsh. There is also Side Cut park in Maumee, which follows along the Maumee River. You can check out Farnsworth park too in Waterville, there is some nice views of the river there.

As far as outdoor activities go, there are many more places that blow the Toledo area out of the water. Do not get me wrong here, I do enjoy the parks in the summertime, the scenery is great.

Toledo itself, as far as crime rate goes, not counting any suburbs, is higher than many major cities with millions of people compared to our 400,000.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:45 AM

Thank you so much. I would very much love to recieve any kind of info that you could provide... I will visit the post very often to keep on reading you guys. Thanks

Old 12-05-2006, 08:25 AM

Default diesel fuel in Ohio?

Hello, I am probably moving to Ohio next July and I would love to take my car with me... it is a diesel engine and I have heard there is no diesel fuel in some states of America... does anyone know if I will be able to use my car in Ohio?

Old 12-05-2006, 08:48 AM

123 posts, read 560,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilar View Post
Hello, I am probably moving to Ohio next July and I would love to take my car with me... it is a diesel engine and I have heard there is no diesel fuel in some states of America... does anyone know if I will be able to use my car in Ohio?
Just about every gas station in Ohio has it, not all, but at least 80% of them.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:48 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
Diesel fuel is very common in Ohio. I don't know if it's the same quality of fuel that is used in Europe. It will still run though.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 21,924 times
Northwood ohio is very peaceful and quiet I live there and my home backsup to two corn fields we are only 10minutes from downtown Toledo (My husband works downtown. Also Perrysburg is nice about 15 min from downtown Toledo As for Toledo itself if you stay in the outskirts of the city you'll have much more peace and quiet but still be close to the downtown life. Washington twp, springfield, sylvania twp, City of Sylvania is upscale but very high property taxes. Oregon is a nice city too.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:51 PM

16 posts, read 78,385 times
I grew up in Waterville, Ohio, I think it's about 20 miles south of Toledo. Charming, historical little town along the Maumee River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo