Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 05:48 AM

976 posts, read 3,861,253 times

Advertisements

One thing when i make a trip to Toledo is stop at some of the parks along the Maumee River overlooking downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 09:35 AM

37 posts, read 143,664 times
Smile Where to move to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grankat3 View Post
I grew up in Waterville, Ohio, I think it's about 20 miles south of Toledo. Charming, historical little town along the Maumee River.
Yes, Waterville is a quaint village on the Maumee River with a few row shops, about four eateries, a very nice new library. Highway U.S. 24 runs right through town and is shared by cars and big trucks, so at times there is traffic congestion. The highway will eventually bypass Waterville, but the project has just begun and may take another five years to reach completion.

Between Waterville and Maumee construction had begun on a new shopping mall to be known as 'Fallen Timbers Mall', named after a battle that took place on August 20, 1794 that involved American troops led by Gen. Anthony Wayne versus British and Canadian soldiers assisted by Native American Indians. The battle lasted about one hour at which point the British gave up.
The Greenville Treaty of 1795 opened up this part of the country to free expansion and settlement. But in 1813 the British tried once more to invade and take over. They were defeated again at Fort Meigs (now in Perrysburg) and also in the Battle of Lake Erie. Fort Meigs has been reconstructed and is now a historical park with a small museum that has artifacts on display.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:45 AM

37 posts, read 143,664 times
Default Toledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilar View Post
Hello I am a teacher from Spain and I am going to take part in a program of visiting teachers in the USa to teach Spanish there. I went for Ohio and I am pretty interested in Toledo, but before my interview in Madrid I would very much love to know which zones are the best in temrs of tranquility, scenery... I want to avoid those danger areas, but at the same time I would like to live in a place where I can find many things to do.. HA! I think I am too demanding, uh?

Thank you so much for your help in advance.
If you are from Spain you will appreciate the beautiful cathedral we have. Our Lady, Queen of the Most Holy Rosary Cathedral was built 1925-1940 and is located on the corner of Collingwood and Islington. It is built in a style called Spanish Plasteresque.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:21 AM

19 posts, read 70,408 times
the economy here is in serious trouble, the good factory jobs have not hired in a long long time, and are always offering to buy the employees out. These good jobs are being subbed out to smaller manufacturing plants at an average wage of 12.00/hour. These wages are not enough to raise a family on and without the big factory support this city is heading for disaster. If you don't live here look elsewhere, if you do live here, there are hard times ahead. Lots of employment here if you don't mind low wages!

Old 01-13-2007, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 23,856 times
There are many nice places to live in the Toledo area, but I feel Ottawa Hills is probably the best. Although Sylvania and Perrysburg are nice, these areas lack character. I enjoy OH because of the rich diversity of homes that you come across while traveling through the villlage. Also, Ottawa Hills has an excellent school system (ranked in the top 300 in the country, the only school in NW Ohio to make the list), great police/fire services, two minutes to the University of Toledo, ten minutes to downtown, and closer to shopping/dining areas than much of the other nice neighborhoods. But high property taxes are a result of these ameneties.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,318 times
robert i love ohio

Old 05-02-2007, 06:39 PM

23 posts, read 121,689 times
Where are u going to be teaching? At the University? If you're teaching at the U, I would recommend looking to rent a home in the Old Orchard Area...you could easily walk to school, beautiful houses, nice neighborhood, lo crime area, and lately, there seems to be alot of homes for rent as our housing market here in Toledo is in a major slump! Don't know what kind of money you can spend for housing, or if you receive stipend...post if u want, and then we could go from there. I myself would stay OUT of the downtown area. Yeah, yeah, they're trying to revitalize it, but there is NOTHING going on down there! Booooring....Again, depending on where you're teaching is where you're going to end up living perhaps. Will u have a car available to u?

Old 06-04-2007, 09:41 AM

10 posts, read 55,592 times
Default salon...

When you need a hair cut, try the Ahava salon in downtown Toledo. It's a wonderful atmosphere, great downtown feeling, and the salon does wigs/activities for people who have cancer.

I promise if you try it you won't want to go anywhere else to get your hair cut! I discovered Ahava a couple of years ago and never stopped going back. They also have some interesting classes there and an art festival on the same street.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:34 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashrema View Post
Where are u going to be teaching? At the University? If you're teaching at the U, I would recommend looking to rent a home in the Old Orchard Area...you could easily walk to school, beautiful houses, nice neighborhood, lo crime area, and lately, there seems to be alot of homes for rent as our housing market here in Toledo is in a major slump! Don't know what kind of money you can spend for housing, or if you receive stipend...post if u want, and then we could go from there. I myself would stay OUT of the downtown area. Yeah, yeah, they're trying to revitalize it, but there is NOTHING going on down there! Booooring....Again, depending on where you're teaching is where you're going to end up living perhaps. Will u have a car available to u?

Ditto. Good Advice.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 8,634 times
Smile Sleepy Hollow

Hello;
Would like info on this neiborhood if you can. We are in the process of moving back to Ohio. We now live in Goodyear AZ. in a golf resort area with 3 golf courses. Sounds great probably to you but it is 107 degrees from now to October. Influx of aliens has taken any non skilled jobs and left only skilled ones. Many things are changing here that make this not such a desirable place to live. Taxes on real estate is half of Toledo's. Home prices are double,food prices are the same,cars don't rust so you put in new parts and keep the old one. Just wanted to show a little snapshot of Az. Any info is welcome .

thanxz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo