Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 10,073 times

Advertisements

I wish people would stop hyping things up on these forums. So many times do i read "avoid this area" or "you might get shot" or something ridiculous. People don't realize that MOST (and not just a majority, but a strong majority.. like 80 to 90%, i'm not sure on the exact percentage, but it's up there!) of violent crimes are committed not only between two people of the same race.. but they almost always have to do with drugs or money. Sure, sometimes you hear on the news about someone getting held up at gun point.. but come on.. people are so paranoid that they really miss out on hidden treasures.

And in response to Daytrepper.. you named an area that is so vague and spread out.. you included UT, Ottawa Hills.. and you didn't even cover parts of town that would truly be considered "rough".

I walk from downtown to almost deleware all the time (at night).. .. and you know what happens? NOTHING. I hardly even see people.. and even if i do it's usually just a "sup" and that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 11:10 PM

62 posts, read 297,068 times
Even though I plan on moving out of Toledo this year I must admit I felt somewhat offended by some of the things said in this thread. Yes... Toledo is not the most beautiful city and yes the North end of Toledo has become the most neglected part of the city, but as far as "running for your lives" I have never felt unsafe here and I have been working third shift for over 10 years all while living on different sides of town. I am a Black female with 2 children and I have never had to "run for my life" while bringing my kids in the house after work. I have to inform you that if you act scary in a urbanized neighborhood it is offensive to the people who live there and therefore may cause you to become harassed because "we" meaning the urbanites feel offended that you think we are a threat to you. As for the statistics, they speak for themselves, 12 murders in one year is damn good compared to much larger cities where there seems to be a shooting everyday. Needless to say if you mind your business and are not involved in any drug related activity you are safe in Toledo. Not to say that I haven't been burglarized but most of those crimes are random and can happen to anybody at anytime. These thoughts like these enforce my decision to move into a diversified and middle class neighborhood because when you "shelter" yourself too much you miss out on getting to know good people, hard working people, who may not have had been born into the goodlife but are trying to make it into a better one. No one would have bothered you on your way to White Castle if the area was that bad it wouldn't be 24 hours for the whole 5 or 6 years its been here now. Oh and those guys hanging out in the street are only hanging out because our stupid ass mayor and citizens keep closing things down to keep our youth out the street or maybe they messed up that one time and because they have a record no one here will hire them so yes they probably are peddling drugs to get by. So I think I've rambled on for a while now, I hope I've shed light on the subject and there's nothing wrong with Headliners its just a club for bands to play and has been doing pretty well, i know a lot of people who go there.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 PM

450 posts, read 1,202,917 times
I grew up in Toledo and yes it has it bad areas but I have never been robbed but alot of communities are go into I make sure to look around. I think its all about common sense don't go anywhere dangerous at night. Please tell me anywhere in america where you have poor people that they don't have high crime. I think some of the people don't try to help themselves and you have those who try get knocked down. Some people don't want to hire you if you live in a certain neighborhood and I grew up on Oakwood in the 80's things in the world aren't what they use to be.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:09 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,822 times
It sounds like the Mayor should request the U. S. Marines to come clean up the town. But I guess the people would get scared.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:53 PM

41 posts, read 119,603 times
Lol...

Well I live in South Toledo at the South & Broadway area... we bought our first house and needless to say were a little naive. Coming from small towns my husband and I are not comfortable there, there is a lot of "action" we'll say, drugs, gangs, etc. I can't say we haven't had personal experience in the 2 years we've lived there either; we had someone set a van we weren't using on fire at about 3 in the morning... yep that was fun... then someone kicked in our side garage door to try and get my truck out, well something scared them off and we just had to replace the lock on the door... I guess you're ok if you have a gun and a pit bull like us.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:07 PM

71 posts, read 424,366 times
How about the areas right around the Medical University? We are a young couple who is going to be renting in that area next year. We are a little worried about the area, but we figured there's probably a lot of other young people around there who are students at UT. When we drove through the area there were a lot of little kids walking around so I figured there were some young families and also the cars in the street and driveways seemed pretty decent. The person currently renting the house is a student at UT, but we didn't get a chance to ask him about the area. We also have two dogs, so I guess that makes me feel a little better about it. Does anyone have any opinions on this area? Should we worry about our house or cars getting broken into? There were a lot of cars parked on the street so it didn't seem like people were too worried about their cars getting broken into.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:13 PM

18 posts, read 128,536 times
Well I have lived in Perrysburg most of my life. I assume your husband will be working at MCO or what ever it is called now ?? (we just refer to it as "death valley" back in the day it was "Maumee Valley Hosp" )

Like some said there aren't that many places in Toledo where I wouldn't go at night. However I prefer Perrysburg simply because the property value keeps out the undesirables. I did live for 12 years next door to Libbey HS. THAT was an experience! After the neighbor kid peed on my 6 yr old I said "thats it we are moving where people are normal again!" or if they aren't they keep it inside!
My job takes me to NYC, LA , New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta, San Fran... and I have been down town in all those places. I was usually more afraid of the rats! Speaking of rats one the size of a dang dog walked in front of my car across 75 the other night! I about drove off the road!!! When did our rats get THAT big ???
Oh anyway I digress.. I guess I would say if you don't want to get your car broken into on a regular basis, and want a nice place to live... pick Maumee/Perrysburg/Rossford areas. Those are the closest to MCO and only about 15 minute drive. Call a Realtor and get some help and use that apartment web site someone gave you on your original post.

As for the White Castle... they don't call em "Sliders" for nothing! God those are sucky things to eat! Even in a good neighborhood! LOL I live for the day they build a Sonic in our area!

Old 07-03-2008, 02:34 AM

2 posts, read 11,055 times
Default Interesting...and Troubling

We were planning to move to Toledo, but we're more concerned with property values. As for crime, I always say "People are people," and when they become fearful they do stupid things. What of such streets as Nevada or Idaho. Is this considered East side Toledo? From photos we've seen of that area near St Thomas Aquinas school seemed very nice and safe, but one can never tell. All in all I think Toledo is much safer than such cities as San Francisco or Miami. We've seen San Francisco and even the police look like hardcore criminals. Miami ...no comment (just make sure you have paid up your insurance if you plan to move there).
Toledo sounds like a place where people work hard and if they ban together to get rid of lame politicians and raise their children to respect themselves and others, that town will be just fine!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:09 AM

154 posts, read 605,907 times
Nevada and Idaho are in East Toledo. East Toledo isn't known as a safe area. Central Toledo is worse, but better areas for safety are the west side of town and the suburbs. However, there is crime everywhere.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:19 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnytimeAnywhere View Post
Nevada and Idaho are in East Toledo. East Toledo isn't known as a safe area. Central Toledo is worse, but better areas for safety are the west side of town and the suburbs. However, there is crime everywhere.
True, but East Toledo isn't soo horrible. I lived there for about 5 years and never had any problems. But yes, there are much better places in Toledo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo