Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 12:46 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Your first impression goes a long way and I hate to say it. But Houston's thoroughfares do not leave a good impression coming from all directions be it 45, 10, or 59. Interstate 45 from the north is obvious the ugliest. But I-45 from Galveston isn't exactly nice either. Interstate 10 from Katy is decent but still not very aesthetically pleasing. Nor is I-10 coming from Beaumont. Now the inner loop thoroughfares is MUCH better and much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I wish Houston could have trenched the freeways. But oh well.

I like the idea of sound barriers. Interstate 95 in Miami has that.
Miami - Google Maps

The best city that hides it is probably Washington DC but they have it lucky since it sits directly on the fall line inside the piedmont.
Washington DC - Google Maps
I disagree. I think the Katy Freeway is one of the most nicest looking, and modern freeway in America. The Katy Freeway's entire length through Metro Houston is nice. Every metro area has at least one freeway that is completely nice throughout. DFW has 75N for example. As far as trenched freeways, there are plenty. Parts of 59 inside the Loop, 288, 45N, and I-10 inside the loop, also.

Since I started on the internet on the various urban forums, I made a thread about feeders, access roads, or service roads (w/e) you call them. They are convenient, true. But they also invite ugliness to the freeway. Business flock to them like ants. I simply HATE them and wish Texas stop building them. I like the roundabouts under the freeway but I can do w/o those ugly[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Chicago was just ranked as the 8th most beautiful city in the world this year. It's my hometown and I love it, but I want to ask you guys have you ever seen the slums of Chicago, New York City, Detroit, Philadelphia, & Baltimore?

There is nothing in Houston that looks as ugly as this, NOTHING:

That picture is in New York City, bad areas like that exist in many neighborhoods of The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, & Staten Island.

Houston from my experience to the places I have been is a decent city it is not astonishingly beautiful like Seattle but it is not at all ugly like some of the cities either where Million live in the slummy conditions those pictures display.

Like seriously everyone here, get a grip. When I drive through a Ghetto like the one on Wilcrest area in Houston, I feel like I have nothing to fear. When I accidentally went into East Harlem by NOT getting off the train at the right stop, that was some nuclear bombed out scary looking area.
That looks like an old picture of NYC.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas is not racially integrated at all. There are barely any cultural offerings inside of Dallas proper.
You've either completely lost it or you are making a deliberately false statement.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:12 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I disagree. I think the Katy Freeway is one of the most nicest looking, and modern freeway in America. The Katy Freeway's entire length through Metro Houston is nice.
I agree. Katy Freeway outdoes most freeways in America. N.Central Expressway in Dallas is nice looking too but doesn't have the managed lanes and wideness like the Katy Freeway. I don't know how anyone can say the Katy Freeway is not asthetically pleasing. They do need to be careful though, I've seen more billboards go up that way in the last couple of years. If they don't control it, it won't be long before it starts looking like the SouthWest Freeway past the Galleria

Old 11-30-2010, 01:34 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
the katy freeway doesn't really bother me. it's not beautiful, but not ugly either. but honestly, i'm too busy enjoying driving on it to pay much attention to what's going on the sides of it

but my absolute favorite stretch of freeway in houston (as i'm sure most people's is) is the west loop fwy inbetween 59 and the katy freeway. the way it cuts through the galleria and the views you get of the skyline are nothing short of awesome (to me, anyway)...and of course you can see downtown off in the distance, giving you an idea of just how massive houston is. you can't experience that on google maps

i remember the first time i drove through the galleria with my aunt and little cousins (who had never been to houston), and one of them said, "is this downtown?" and i said, "nope. downtown is over there," pointing to a completely different skyline a few miles away. they were flabbergasted lol

Old 11-30-2010, 01:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
You've either completely lost it or you are making a deliberately false statement.
I take that back. Dallas has a "Korean Town" on the border of its far Northwest side & Irving in a ghetto warehouse part of town where prostitutes roam the streets & strips clubs are all around, but no Koreans actually live there.

Dallas IMO is highly segregated for being such a large city. One of the worse offenders I've seen among American cities.

Houston's no zoning basically forces people of different races, cultures, ethnicities, religious beliefs, political, & economic status to live among one another. It works like a charm too. Houstonians always vote NO to zoning every time it comes up on the ballot. Houston has never had racial riots like in Los Angeles either.

Don't even tell me it makes an ugly city either. There are certain neighborhoods in inner city Houston that have a thing called deed restrictions.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:44 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
In fairness, Atlanta is a more asthetically pleasing city. Houston does have some really pretty areas. It has some ugly ones too, but thats every city.
This is one's opinion..and I love the beauty of Atlanta but I wouldn't put it over Houston. Or say it's more asthetically pleasing And I'm not from Houston btw. I just choose to live here because I do love Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've never been to Atlanta, but from what I've seen; I agree. Houston has many beautiful parts, but it's overshadowed by the ugly areas.

Ya'll know Algreen has an obsession with trees (even though he won't admit it). Personally; I think the Piedmont area is overrated in beauty; I hate the claustrophobic feel I get there with all the heavy tree coverage. I think the Hill Country area is the best looking area in Texas and prefer it over the piedmont area.

Btw, justme02 have you been to Waco lately?? It's looking really beautiful this fall. Especially around the Brazos River and downtown area. Another underrated city as far as attractiveness and scenery go. I went up there for Thanksgiving and started feeling nostalgic with the cold weather and fall scenery lol
and Waco underrated for it's beauty...ahhhhhhh I beg to differ. I use to live in Waco while I was going to school up there. It had some beautiful parts but nothing that compares to Houston. I couldnt wait to get out of Waco I felt like the beauty was overshadowed by the bland uglieness of most of the city. You had to venture outside of I-35 to see the pockets of beauty.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
LOL I don't dislike Houston...I just crack jokes...Maybe you should go to the Black Capital debate and see how I defended H-Town to the fullest...
every true blooded Texan defends a fellow Texan city from dangdabbit outsiders

Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas doesn't have perfectly in place zoning until you get into the far northern burbs (Plano, Frisco, Mckinney, etc.) Houston's high class suburbs such as The Woodlands, Sugar Land, & Katy are zoned like Dallas'.

Its better zoned than Houston, but still Dallas is no prize winner when it comes to zoning.

I prefer the chaotic look of Houston myself. Its easier to get to places you don't have to drive all over town to find them like you do in Dallas.

No zoning also makes for a quirky, less segregated city. Dallas is not racially integrated at all. There are barely any cultural offerings inside of Dallas proper.
see I think so too. I like the haphazard nature of Houston. I love that you don't have to drive forever to find anything

Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
if i may say, guys, if nothing else i would atleast like to see the city plant nicer trees. especially in midtown. i actually love the way live oaks look when they get big, but they're not fast growers...and i kind of got tired of seeing them all over midtown. you'd be surprised how much the trees you plant can completely transform an area

Old 11-30-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I agree. Katy Freeway outdoes most freeways in America. N.Central Expressway in Dallas is nice looking too but doesn't have the managed lanes and wideness like the Katy Freeway. I don't know how anyone can say the Katy Freeway is not asthetically pleasing. They do need to be careful though, I've seen more billboards go up that way in the last couple of years. If they don't control it, it won't be long before it starts looking like the SouthWest Freeway past the Galleria
I agree too. From Katy Mills all the way to I45 is a site to behold. all the new buildings(low rises, hospitals, etc) along the highway makes it seem like you are driving through a new new super long city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas