Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 PM

41 posts, read 118,363 times

Advertisements

I am a Widow with 3 children whom are married. I have 6 grandchildren. They will visit me, but not relocate to my chosen city. I am moving from Detroit, Michigan.

I enjoy a very active social life, church life, and family life.

I am an African-American Woman who would like to meet and date middle-class Men and enjoy the Arts, Theatre, Dining, and Nice Clubs. I like to Dance its great exercise!!

I have decided to rent/lease a home or apartment before I decide to purchase a home or Condo. My budget for rent is $900.00-$1200.00 per month.

I am college education with a Bachelor of Science degree in Human Services. I am seeking part-time employment.

Any suggestions on if Dallas or Houston would be best place for me move!? Some say Houston, others say Dallas. What say you Forum!!

Last edited by houstoner; 07-30-2009 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Moved from Houston forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 09:04 PM

28 posts, read 68,447 times
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I am not sure if you are going to find large populations of Bachelor and post-bachelor black men who are single in either city. Most of the black men of that age-range and educated caliber are married in these areas. However, if you must choose between the two cities, I would definitely say Houston. This is simply b/c blacks in Houston seem to be on a much swifter and larger rise towards education than those in Dallas. Also in these areas, people get married a lot more than in other areas such as Atlanta or Washington, DC. I think that there are more families in these areas b/c of the type of jobs. In DC or NYC, the amount of time you must put into your work creates groupings of young singles. Houston [and Dallas] attract families and people ready to settle down b/c of the cheaper housing, cost of living and style of living.

You may want to try Atlanta. Atlanta has been the new city to attract large numbers of singles and the educated, and they have a substantial Black population. Atlanta is a bit more expensive though, but still cheaper than Detroit. From what I know, it also has a great jazz scene and growing art, culture and black intelligentsia scene.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:13 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
Default Not the right assumptions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy2thaworld View Post
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I am not sure if you are going to find large populations of Bachelor and post-bachelor black men who are single in either city. Most of the black men of that age-range and educated caliber are married in these areas. However, if you must choose between the two cities, I would definitely say Houston. This is simply b/c blacks in Houston seem to be on a much swifter and larger rise towards education than those in Dallas. Also in these areas, people get married a lot more than in other areas such as Atlanta or Washington, DC. I think that there are more families in these areas b/c of the type of jobs. In DC or NYC, the amount of time you must put into your work creates groupings of young singles. Houston [and Dallas] attract families and people ready to settle down b/c of the cheaper housing, cost of living and style of living.

You may want to try Atlanta. Atlanta has been the new city to attract large numbers of singles and the educated, and they have a substantial Black population. Atlanta is a bit more expensive though, but still cheaper than Detroit. From what I know, it also has a great jazz scene and growing art, culture and black intelligentsia scene.
I think that you're making some incorrect assumptions.

a. Relationships break up, couples get divorced all the time. I have two middle-aged black friends now in divorce actions. I doubt if either could survive very long without having a woman again. :-)

b. Why does she have to have a black man? I'm a middle-aged white guy who married a beautiful milk-chocolate honey 3 years ago in Houston and there are 4 white guys I work with right now married to sisters. I think Houston is a good town for ANY women to find a long-term relationship because the men are doing better economically than some place like the Detroit-area where even white auto workers are losing their jobs and out-lasting their unemployment. I doubt if the OP would want to move to Atlanta or Detroit just so it would be easier to find an unemployed dude (of any race) looking for a Sugar Mama! I think that you are correct that DC and NY guys (again - of ALL races) are more into their career 24-7 , more likely gay too, and less interested in marriage to any woman.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:13 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Just based on your criteria for the arts, theatre, dining, & clubs I would go with Houston all the way.

Here are just a few facts to prove this...

• Houstonians eat out more than residents of any other city. Houston has more than 11,000 restaurants.
  • Houston has a Theater District second only to New York City in terms of a concentration of seats in a single geographic area. Located downtown, the 17-block Theater District is home to eight performing arts organizations with more than 12,000 seats.
  • Houston has a unique museum district offering a range of museums, galleries, art and cultural institutions, including the Houston's major museums.
  • Houston has more than 500 cultural, visual and performing arts organizations, 90 of which are devoted to multicultural and minority arts.
  • Houston has a young population; 37 percent of Houstonians are 24 years old or younger and 34 percent are between the ages of 25 and 44.
  • Houston has the most affordable housing of 10 most populated metropolitan areas; Houston housing costs are 39 percent below the average of 26 U.S. urban populations of more than 1.5 million.
  • Houston has the second lowest cost of living among major American cities.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:22 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Both cities have lots of singles, as per bamba_boy's reasoning. The trick is where you live in each city -- that will make a huge difference in your experience. If you end up in a suburb, master planned community, etc... you may be miserable. The people who get divorced don't stay living in those places!

Perhaps some people can help with the specific neighborhoods... but look where the young professionals live. Places with lots of apartments/condos (but UPSCALE ones)... those places will also have bars and restaurants and more social things for singles. Yes, the age range will skew lower... but these are also the places older singles return to when they sell their house/move out.

My first thought, having lived in both cities... probably Houston would be slightly better based on your requirements (Clubs, dining, arts, etc). Dallas might be slightly better in the church aspect.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:23 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Well if you are lookin' for a husband bear in mind that Dallas has the 9th most billionaires on the planet and 10,000 more millionaires than Houston.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:36 PM

439 posts, read 1,242,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Well if you are lookin' for a husband bear in mind that Dallas has the 9th most billionaires on the planet and 10,000 more millionaires than Houston.
Of course if you're a Gold digger, then Dallas may be for you.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:43 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

And the difference between the rich in Dallas and in Houston is this: in Houston you could be at a party speaking with a billionaire and wouldn't know it because he or she is down to earth, while in Dallas it wouldn't be uncommon to be at party speaking to someone who's acting like they're a billionaire and don't have any where near that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: