Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 10:31 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,853,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
It's because Sugar Land is a suburb. A lot easier to maintain a small suburban than a large city (both in population and land area). I think that's why DFW seems more manicured than Houston. A bunch of little cities that only have to maintain a small area and there are hardly any unincorporated areas here.
i'm not saying houston would have to be perfect all around, but i just think there are so many areas that could look so much better than they do.

the palm trees drove me absolutely nuts

Old 11-28-2010, 11:29 PM

4,391 posts, read 4,632,186 times
Quote:
so i've been doing quite a bit of traveling throughout the state, and today i got back from houston, and everytime i go i forget how humongous it is....

i was paying close attention to the "scenery", and i thought to myself "what is it that houston can change to make itself look better?"....then, as i was driving around, i pretty much confirmed that it was the areas that appeared to have zoning that looked soooo much better than those that didn't. houstonians may not like hearing that, but people wouldn't keep saying it if it wasn't true. i mean, some streets looked nice or ordinary, while some just looked downright chaotic. sorry, but no one can do "ugly" quite like houston .....what i realized is that they need to quit with the billboards and tacky palms and plant more cedars, birch, sweetgums, decidous oaks, etc. anything that can make the area look more tidy and even

i was in the main part of sugar land, and i was thinking "man, what if all of houston could look like this?". that area feels like a completely different area of the country than houston. but i still love the city, and it is what it is
This is my take on Houston's "scenery"...Houston is HUGEEEEEEE..I love the way the 610 loop area looks..I even like parts of Southeast/Southwest outside of 610 loop..but those areas that are populated..then you have parts like Woodlands(which I feel like is one of the best looking burbs in the state I've been to period)..I love the palm trees because it gives Houston's a different vibe to it..its like damn where am I at?? Texas or South Florida. I like the mixture of Pine Trees and Palm Trees...now the UGLY parts that gives the city a bad impression..is areas like 59 N or I-45 N...1960 N..I can do without some of those eye sores..

I think it's that area of Houston that throws people off..and the fact that it's pretty flat..hell not to diss Dallas or San Antonio but I think Houston's scenery is alot better then those 2 cities..

and i'm not even from Houston..straight out of East Texas/Piney Woods which is feel like is one of the best looking areas of the state..right after the Hill Country...

Old 11-28-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
and i'm not even from Houston..straight out of East Texas/Piney Woods which is feel like is one of the best looking areas of the state....
exactly. and if texas had a major city located in the hills and pine forests of east texas, it would easily be the most attractive, in my opinion

Old 11-28-2010, 11:47 PM

4,391 posts, read 4,632,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
exactly. and if texas had a major city located in the hills and pine forests of east texas, it would easily be the most attractive, in my opinion
Hell yeah...I've always said the same thing..just picture a city the size of Houston located in the tall thick dark green pine trees and red dirt...It would probably look closer to Atlanta any other texas city. I would never move from the 903. lol Just picture Caddo Lake in the middle of a huge east texas city..lol I can dream

Old 11-29-2010, 12:19 AM

but there would have to be zoning, and no damn concrete roads or slews of palm trees lol

Old 11-29-2010, 12:28 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,011,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
And its not specific to Houston whatsoever. People do this with lots of places. In LA, we saw this more times than we didnt. I remember someone transfering to our office in LA from Austin and talked a big game when he arrived. He thought LA would be more glitzy and glamourous and was shocked to find it ethnic and gritty. He tied to live the life and LA didnt agree with it. He was back in Austin in 6 months.
Sounds like a close friend of mine whom I helped move back to Texas from San Jose after spending less than 1 month out there.

Pretty sad when even a Registered Nurse can't keep a steady job out there in California to foot the 1 grand a month for a small efficiency apartment.

She now has a brand new Honda SUV & house out in Katy working full time at Memorial Hermann making bank.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
i'm not saying houston would have to be perfect all around, but i just think there are so many areas that could look so much better than they do.

the palm trees drove me absolutely nuts
May I ask why that is?

Palm trees mixed with pine trees in Houston looks very chic & gives it a coastal vibe like you're in Northern Florida or somewhere.

Heck even Japan has pine trees & that is very much coastal.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
A large part of Houston is located in the Eastern Texas/Piney Woods region.

I would say south of I-10 & downtown is where the pine trees start to peter out.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
May I ask why that is?

Palm trees mixed with pine trees in Houston looks very chic & gives it a coastal vibe like you're in Northern Florida or somewhere.

Heck even Japan has pine trees & that is very much coastal.
lol "chic"? do you know what that word means? and i just don't like too many palms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
A large part of Houston is located in the Eastern Texas/Piney Woods region.
yes, but it doesn't have the rolling hills or majestic hardwoods that the rest of east texas does

Old 11-29-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
lol "chic"? do you know what that word means? and i just don't like too many palms

yes, but it doesn't have the rolling hills or majestic hardwoods that the rest of east texas does
True...or the fall foliage.

Tyler & surrounding country side is absolutely beautiful right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas