Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 11:39 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Just show up after 10PM at Lizard Lounge, Purgatory, etc. Friday-Sunday.
Have had great times at both of these places.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:54 PM

59 posts, read 117,269 times
Deep Ellum has been on the upswing for some time. Besides the places mentioned there is LaGrange which is very hot. And there's always a line for the Lizard. You don't even mention Henderson Ave the hottest spot in Texas. How long has it been since you were in Dallas, stoneclaw?

Old 11-25-2010, 06:44 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928 View Post
Deep Ellum has been on the upswing for some time. Besides the places mentioned there is LaGrange which is very hot. And there's always a line for the Lizard. You don't even mention Henderson Ave the hottest spot in Texas. How long has it been since you were in Dallas, stoneclaw?
Henderson Ave hottest in Texas?

Old 11-25-2010, 07:00 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Just show up after 10PM at Lizard Lounge, Purgatory, etc. Friday-Sunday.
Haha

The LL is full of a bunch of teenage ravers & Purgatory is no longer in existence anymore...

I stopped going to the LL years ago when all of the good resident DJ's left. The only time you'll see an older crowd (like me) at the Lounge is when ever a big name DJ is in town & even then its still like 90% 17-21 year olds.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That is quite a walk. Then again, the evenings are not too bad.

TSU to Fiesta seems far to me, but TSU to Downtown??? boy you are crazy.
I love walking. However, it's not that bad when you take the Columbia Tap (Rail to Trail).

That's why you can't take me opinion serious when I say somewhere is walkable because I can walk long distances without getting tired.

I've walked from TSU to TMC area before as well. TSU to uptown next maybe???

You might have seen me walking before. Just look out for the tall, black, skinny dude with the sweats and hoodie on.

Me and a friend went walking through downtown the other night when the Usher concert was going on. Hanged out at Discovery Park and HP. When I turn 21 though (2 more months); I'm hitting up all the bars!

Old 11-26-2010, 03:29 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I love walking. However, it's not that bad when you take the Columbia Tap (Rail to Trail).

That's why you can't take me opinion serious when I say somewhere is walkable because I can walk long distances without getting tired.

I've walked from TSU to TMC area before as well. TSU to uptown next maybe???

You might have seen me walking before. Just look out for the tall, black, skinny dude with the sweats and hoodie on.

Me and a friend went walking through downtown the other night when the Usher concert was going on. Hanged out at Discovery Park and HP. When I turn 21 though (2 more months); I'm hitting up all the bars!
i know all about the CT Trail. I walk my dogs down it almost every night and I ride my bike down it when I go to Fiesta.

Anyway the walk from TSU to TMC is shorter than TSU to downtown (by about 25 minutes).

If you walk from TSU to uptown then I would know for sure that you are certifiable. Anyway, I do think the lower midtown area is walkable. From that area there are many things that are near, and the traffic isn't that bad. There are tons of stuff down Almeda, tons of parks in the are. I just love this part of town.

oh suuuuuure, look for a tall skinny black dude in 3rd ward? That should be Easy

If you see someone walking in a hoodie, with shorts and flips, that would probably be me.

Anyway you don't need to be 21 to hit up the clubs. You just won't be able to buy your own drinks I have been going out since I was 17

what date is your birthday? My BF is the 19th.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedarwood View Post
For instance, say that some of the most desirable place to visit are the most expensive. Miami , Los Angeles, Chicago, and NYC are popular, but all i know is one Texas city that falls in the category is Dallas.
No. Actually the most expensive cities to live in Texas go to the small suburbs of Houston & Dallas. They deserve the credit for that. There are 5 in Houston, 2 in Dallas, 2 in Austin, & 1 near Midland or something. Those cities that artsguy called hick villages earlier actually deserve the recognition for this.

For large cities, actually Austin is the most expensive out of the big cities in Texas by median home prices. It beats out larger cities such as Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio.
Quote:
It's not that Dallas is a better city than Houston, it's well planned,
Not really.
Quote:
very sterile
LOL absolutely not. There was a point in it, where yes in the early 1990's Dallas was by far and away more cleaner than Houston but any idiot that drives in Houston will see how plazas have been torn to the ground in the city and rebuilt to be newer and more modern. Roads have been repaved, traffic lights replaced with the new, and signs replaced for the new. And it was done throughout the entire city and is taking place as we speak, its been happening for the past 15-20 years, and honestly it is the direction into the right path.

Dallas on the other hand did aesthetically start up looking better than Houston, but between the two today, Dallas is actually the one that needs to start modernizing its scape. However, there's nothing wrong with either city. More or less both look the exact same to me.
Quote:
with a great light rail system
Absolutely not. And that goes for both Dallas & Houston. The reason people love to hate on the Texas cities in the City vs City boards is when some arrogant person from one of these cities tries to act like they can hang ten with a great transit city like Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Boston, Philadelphia, and the likes.

Your post is absolutely what I'm talking about. Houston's is smaller yes, but it connects the most vital portions of Houston already, and that is Downtown, to Texas Medical Center and all the neighborhoods in between, then to Rice Campus area, and then to Reliant Park where more stadiums and convention centers are at. That is why its ridership per mile is absolutely higher than Dallas's and the 2nd highest in America because it reflects the necessity of that connection.

Houston & Dallas are different cities in this range. Houston is getting CRT from Suburbs to the core of the city. It's only improving LRT within the Inner Loop, its investing in itself first before it invests in its surrounding. It's going to benefit from revitalizing its core because of that. Houston to Galveston is also progressing forward on the case.

Houston's public transit will cause more infill into Inner Loop for those seeking carless options.

Dallas however is trying to link its suburbs to its core, it needs to make its path more efficient, and is doing so.

Both cities developed diferently, Dallas-Fort Worth is a multinodal focal point Metropolitan Area, where its surroundings and Twin City matter more than Dallas alone.

Houston is a standalone, where it matters by far and away more than its surrounding.

They are even in public transit in the sense that their transit will serve the needs for their respective regions differently, and both are extending it as we speak. However to say one is better than the other, you are absolutely retarded to do so.

60,000 people using DART rail in 32 miles, 40,000 people using METRORail in 7.5 Miles, both those numbers are pathetic. When over 400,000 people start using the RAIL systems then brag about having a better transit. Because for cities that truly invest their money into good infrastructure like Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, & San Francisco, they are the only ones who can brag in this aspect. Everyone else is just behind and playing catch up.

But to give credit where its due, I do give Dallas the right of way to say that right now at the present they have a better network. They have a more extensive system, they have a more ambitious plan to get their entire side of the metropolitan area involved, and that they are 20,000 riders per day more successful than Houston. No doubt about it.
Quote:
more pedestrian orient mixed use urban developments.
No.

Walk Score's website gave the rating of 51 out of 100 to BOTH Dallas & Houston. When either city gets above 75 which is moderate then come online to brag about it. Until then all you're doing is being a biased homer with no facts or argument to prove your point.
Quote:
I also like Dallas because of the variety of stores and restaurants that you won't find in Houston.
Like what?

Upscale dining, actually thats where Houston really shines in aspect of Texas.
Mom & Pops? Houston is really good for that too when you get OFF the freeway and enter the neighborhoods.

Want neighborhood names to try out? Neartown, Midtown, West University, Rice Village, The Heights, Rice Military, Kingwood, try those for starters and if you need more get back online and I'll lost more.

Food in cultural categories? LOL you kidding me. Houston has food designated for any ethnicity you can think of. It was Thanksgiving Yesterday and I was out with friends at a Mongolian restaurant. Yes M-O-N-G-O-L-I-A-N of all things.

LOL you're kidding me with this, you're either a:
- Homer
- Dumber than that guy in Dumb & Dumber
- Extremely biased or have a secret hatred/agenda

LOLOLOL absolutely ridiculous!
Quote:
Even Austin and Atlanta both have an edge over Houston when it comes to great nightlife and urbane vibes such as entertainment districts.
LOL LOL LOL seriously?

Okay, Houston beats Austin in Hip Hop, The Blues, Jazz, & Electronica.
Austin beats Houston in Live Music, Rock, Pop, & Metal.

Atlanta? LOL are you kidding me, it beats Houston in Rap, R&B, & Hip Hop in general, even though its close.

Dallas beats Houston in Electronica.

You're retarded if you cant find a good club or nightlife center in ANY of those cities. And yes there are designated nightlife districts in Houston.

Dallas Street if you're in Downtown Houston.
Montrouse if you're near Texas Medical Center/Midtown.
Washington Avenue for general nightlife, lots of Rock & Roll Venues here also.
Richmond Avenue if you're into Hip Hop & Persian Music.
Hillcroft Avenue if you're into Bhangra.
The Heights if you want to go a bit more upscale.

Clubs include even the ethnic ones, not the general Hip Hop, Rock, Electronica kinds. You also have Bhangra, Salsa Lounges, Chino Clubs, and Korean Clubs.

Hmmm, now I know for a fact you have no idea what you're saying at all.
Quote:
entertainment districts.
You have got to be kidding me. Seriously? Like no way!

I guess that means the designated Districts for these things:
- Bars
- Theater District
- Museum District
- Zoo Area
- And the designated areas for Arts
- Designated streets for particular night life aspects

I guess those for entertainment all of a sudden vanished when you came to visit Houston huh?
Quote:
Houston is too bland and plan for a city its size, although it's a great city , but very underrated and boring. No amusement park
LOL LOL LOL!

Well there's still:
- Kemah Boardwalk (Amusement Park Section is there)
- Schlitterbahn
- Splashtown

And they are making these:
- Earth Quest Adventures
- Another unnamed Theme Park
- Pier Amusement Park (a Amusement Park on the pier in Galveston)

So we have 3 already in existence, and 3 in the works.

LOL so much for none huh?
Quote:
no light rail
LOL you are definitely blind. It exists, and its being expanded.
Quote:
no entertainment district or anything pertaining for excitement.
Well okay lets look at it this way then:
- Houston's Theater District is the only Theater District to have won any global awards for performance in t and away the State of Texas.
- Houston's Art collection is by far the most prestigious collection in Texas, and the largest collection. Look up the Menil Collection and see the significance of it and the history of it. It's one of the most prestigious collections in the country. Not saying the best in the country because its not but its among the best and definitely the best in the state of Texas.
- Houston's Museum District is the most visited collection of Museums in Texas, about 5 Million visitors a year and most museums are free to enter. It's also the largest collection of museums in any museum district in Texas. Houston has other museums elsewhere too in the Metropolitan Area but the ones in the Museum District are outstanding also.
- Houston Ballet is the only one in Texas to ever win any global awards.
- Houston Opera & Symphony are the only ones in Texas to win any global awards too and is considered one of the BEST operas in the nation.

Maybe its because I'm into Theatrics & Arts and all that this assertion of yours bothers me, but get to know where you visit. Seriously you don't know half the trash you spew.
Quote:
The last time i went to Houston , there was a bad infrustructure to their city. Traffic signals hanging by wires, curbless streets, and lots of utility poles being seen all over Houston and when I went to Atlanta , i've seen a real city with wide sidewalks , trees, light poles, sidewalk cafes , lots of high rise condos and a good rail system.
First I want to address that I have gotten to the point where I have already quoted at least 8-9 segments of your post already to this point. Thus I believe my assertion to say that you are bitter and have never been to Houston can stand its ground as I have had to correct you on the MOST BASIC of facts like variety of food, light rail existing, entertainment districts. There is no way unless you are blind and deaf both that you missed that much stuff in Houston when you came.

I cant go 3 miles without seeing some ethnic restaurants whether it be Mexican, Italian, Indian, Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Korean, and the likes. And you're sitting here on City-Data trying to convince us that you saw none of these things. Even on the freakin freeways you see these things and that is the worst place in Houston (or any Texas city for that matter) to get an idea of what the city has.

Secondly, bad infrastructure? Are you kidding me. Houston spends more money building and maintaining roads than any other city in the country perhaps.

Every (majority) of the roads have curbs, I would know, I lost two tires 2 years ago because I accidentally ran into the side curbs which blew my tires up. I have seen very rare areas with no curbs.

Traffic lights hanging? After what Hurricane Ike? Is that when you visited Houston? Because I haven't seen that AT ALL, not even in the ghetto areas.

I will give you utility poles though, there are quite a lot of them in Houston. There are a lot in Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, & San Antonio too. But yes, Houston does seem to have a bit more than them. That is the first true thing you've said at all in your entire post so far.

Are you kidding me? Houston without trees? That is like saying Phoenix without a desert. LOL LOL LOL!!!
Does this look like Houston doesn't have trees?

Majority of the streets in Houston do have street lights, yes some don't, no denying that but majority in the entire metropolitan area & city do.

Sidewalks? Well okay you have a point here, the Inner Loop actually is pedestrian friendly but any city in the sunbelt lacks good pedestrian friendliness over its vast amount of space. Dallas is also no exception to this also.

Sidewalk cafes? Aghh, visit Midtown, Neartown, any town center in any suburb, The Heights, Rice Village, Kingwood, and the likes and then come back and spew that trash.
Quote:
Houston to me is too much like a small town that has been coverted to a city with a lack of good urban planning and development.
Well the Inner Loop of Houston is the densest and most developed area in the Sunbelt without it being Los Angeles or Miami. So I guess if Houston isn't a big city then nothing else in the Sunbelt besides Miami & Los Angeles are big cities either because all of them are less dense, less urban, less developed than Inner Loop Houston. And that is statistically proven and stands.

But luckily I know better than to believe someone who has had nothing right in his post. Houston & Dallas are both Texas's big cities, and definitely a Top 10 largest and most important cities in the country. That fact is undeniably true.
Quote:
Dallas is the best. Dallas has tons of shopping , nightlife and dining, Deep Ellum, the state Fair Park, DFDub attractions, Six Flags, Lower Greenville , Funkytown, Greywolf Lodge , and the list goes on. Houston is dull , boring , hot , humid, car driven, , too country, and nothing to do .
Too country?

You are calling the most racially diverse city in Texas country? Yes you are.

You are calling the city with the largest Asian population in the American South (350,000) country? Yes you are.

You are calling the city with about 2,000,000 Hispanic people country? Yes you are.

You are calling the city with 1 Million African American people country? Yes you are.

And this is why you absolutely have zero credibility left. Houston & Dallas-Fort Worth, make no mistake about it are both cosmopolitan cities. That is all they are and all they need to be. I'm sorry that will make you cry, but this is reality, not your pipe dream.

For things to shop at, eat at, do in Houston here is a list from me personally:
- Kemah Boardwalk
- Museum District
- Theater District
- Nightlife of Washington Avenue or Dallas Street
- Moody Gardens
- Forbidden Gardens
- Japanese Gardens
- Chinatown (either one)
- Memorial Park
- Hermann Park
- The Waterway
- The Galleria
- Highland Village
- NASA
- West Avenue
- City Centre
- Midtown
- The Heights

And those are from the top of my head. I will be back home later on after a party and will gladly fill you in on more than that.

Car Driven? Are you insane? Dallas-Fort Worth isn't car driven? There is no Metropolitan Area in Texas where car dependency is less than 86% period. Your point is invalidated from the beginning.

Hot & Humid? Dallas is hotter, Houston is more humid. Yes, Houston is slightly more hotter overall and I give Dallas the edge. But Dallas is also colder in winter. Their weather is practically the same. Both equally as bad, and equally as enjoyable.

Country? Please, I have never met a soul in my life in Houston (besides one or two people) who have even had that rural South accent. I've actually seen it in Austin more than Houston. In fact the concept was so new to me of hearing that accent that I recorded a video on 6th Street (Austin) once of the guys Southern Accent because I have only heard it in real life a few times.

Here is my video in Austin's 6th Street:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHgdbcNPAYk
Quote:
I love 7 Eleven slurpees and i am so glad to be here in Dallas . Too bad Houston don't have any 7- Elevens and i wouldn't want to be there.
A gas station? You made all this trash talking, retarded spewing post for a gas station?

You are no older than 12 years old, guaranteed, and its clear and evident you have never been to Houston because according to you:
- There are no trees in Houston
- There is no Light Rail in Houston
- Houston has no ethnic restaurants or no restaurants at all besides fast food
- Houston has no parks, no theater district, no museums, no art galleries, and the likes
- Houston is a small town (LOL)
- Houston isn't diverse
- And all that other trash you were out saying

In summary:
Seriously people, its not that hard. Both Dallas-Fort Worth & Houston are interchangeable, they both have something they excel at more than the other. And that is a fact.

Houston & Dallas-Fort Worth are both great cities, and I love them both, but this inferiority complex between the residents of both cities needs to stop. Look you picked which one you wanted to live in because for some reason it appealed to you, over the other cities in Texas. But Houston & Dallas are brothers more than anything else, they are family, the closest of which they've got.

No body and I mean no body here should be throwing a fit or having an inferiority complex and trying to downplay anything, because you live in a great city regardless. There is no reason for a Dallasite to feel inferior to a Houstonian because of the city they live in, and vice versa. That type of thinking has to stop, and it has to stop as soon as possible.

Seriously people! We can all do better than this.

EDIT: It seems to me like "seedarwood" is a troll, only one post and thats in this thread. Everything in their post being completely and factually false, and I do mean everything, not one right point in there. And no responses to anyone quoting them. It's definitely a trolling account, here to stir up and spew baseless trouble.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:30 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
lol, someone just trounced a troll. I heard it crunch

Old 11-27-2010, 12:17 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
That was funny when he said Austin and Atlanta beat Houston in Hip-Hop and R&B clubs. Atlanta and Houston are on the same scale when it comes to the Hip-Hop club scene, but Austin is not. THe demographics can show for that!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:00 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
That was funny when he said Austin and Atlanta beat Houston in Hip-Hop and R&B clubs. Atlanta and Houston are on the same scale when it comes to the Hip-Hop club scene, but Austin is not. THe demographics can show for that!
Since you haven't been to Texas, you wouldnt know would you?

And to DANNY, beautiful post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas