Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 12:04 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
alphajet you're more politically aware than I am, the Inner Loop of Houston is the most Liberal part of the city right?

In my patterns I have noticed with any Texas city, the more outward you go into the city and Metropolitan Area, the more of a Red Zone it starts becoming due to suburban developments. It was the point I was trying to make earlier when I said that Inner Loop Houston (or even the core of Dallas) are more Liberal than the city of Dallas (or the rest of Houston) because the more outward it goes with suburban development the more conservative they tend to become.

Can you verify that?
This is true with almost any metro area actually. The city center and areas surrounding it are more liberal than the suburbs. And yes, Inner Loop Houston is easily the most liberal area of town.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:20 PM

316 posts, read 784,245 times
Harris County, November 2010 election results -- Danny, this should give you some pretty good insight regarding inside/outside the loop district voter trends.

Texas Governor's Race Totals in Harris County — 2010 Texas Governor's Race | The Texas Tribune

http://images.chron.com/blogs/housto...vsm_08elex.jpg

Additional data regarding West University Place overall strengths, compared to Peers (similar size places nationally) or State (other places in Texas):

College Educated Adults
(vs. Peers) Top 1%
Median Family Income
(vs. Peers) Top 1%
Well-Paid Single Men
(vs. Peers) Top 1%
Well-Paid Single Women
(vs. Peers) Top 1%
People in Middle Class or Better
(vs. Peers) Top 1%
Low Rate of Poverty
(vs. Peers) Top 2%
Low Violent Crime
(vs. State) Top 15%

Old 11-23-2010, 01:09 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
^^^ that's interesting. So that shows a good majority of the metro Houston's population is blue. I wonder what it would take to have all of TX turn blue? Wishful thinking.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,274 times
The great thing i like about Texas is that they're spreaded out and they also have low costs of living. For instance, say that some of the most desirable place to visit are the most expensive. Miami , Los Angeles, Chicago, and NYC are popular, but all i know is one Texas city that falls in the category is Dallas. It's not that Dallas is a better city than Houston, it's well planned, very sterile, cleaner, with a great light rail system , and more pedestrian orient mixed use urban developments. I also like Dallas because of the variety of stores and restaurants that you won't find in Houston. Even Austin and Atlanta both have an edge over Houston when it comes to great nightlife and urbane vibes such as entertainment districts. Houston is too bland and plan for a city its size, although it's a great city , but very underrated and boring. No amusement park , no light rail , no entertainment district or anything pertaining for excitement. The last time i went to Houston , there was a bad infrustructure to their city. Traffic signals hanging by wires, curbless streets, and lots of utility poles being seen all over Houston and when I went to Atlanta , i've seen a real city with wide sidewalks , trees, light poles, sidewalk cafes , lots of high rise condos and a good rail system. Houston to me is too much like a small town that has been coverted to a city with a lack of good urban planning and development. Houston is also like your typical East Texas bedroom community town with roadside gullies and no sidewalks. Dallas is the best. Dallas has tons of shopping , nightlife and dining, Deep Ellum, the state Fair Park, DFDub attractions, Six Flags, Lower Greenville , Funkytown, Greywolf Lodge , and the list goes on. Houston is dull , boring , hot , humid, car driven, , too country, and nothing to do . I love 7 Eleven slurpees and i am so glad to be here in Dallas . Too bad Houston don't have any 7- Elevens and i wouldn't want to be there.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedarwood View Post
The great thing i like about Texas is that they're spreaded out and they also have low costs of living. For instance, say that some of the most desirable place to visit are the most expensive. Miami , Los Angeles, Chicago, and NYC are popular, but all i know is one Texas city that falls in the category is Dallas. It's not that Dallas is a better city than Houston, it's well planned, very sterile, cleaner, with a great light rail system , and more pedestrian orient mixed use urban developments. I also like Dallas because of the variety of stores and restaurants that you won't find in Houston. Even Austin and Atlanta both have an edge over Houston when it comes to great nightlife and urbane vibes such as entertainment districts. Houston is too bland and plan for a city its size, although it's a great city , but very underrated and boring. No amusement park , no light rail , no entertainment district or anything pertaining for excitement. The last time i went to Houston , there was a bad infrustructure to their city. Traffic signals hanging by wires, curbless streets, and lots of utility poles being seen all over Houston and when I went to Atlanta , i've seen a real city with wide sidewalks , trees, light poles, sidewalk cafes , lots of high rise condos and a good rail system. Houston to me is too much like a small town that has been coverted to a city with a lack of good urban planning and development. Houston is also like your typical East Texas bedroom community town with roadside gullies and no sidewalks. Dallas is the best. Dallas has tons of shopping , nightlife and dining, Deep Ellum, the state Fair Park, DFDub attractions, Six Flags, Lower Greenville , Funkytown, Greywolf Lodge , and the list goes on. Houston is dull , boring , hot , humid, car driven, , too country, and nothing to do . I love 7 Eleven slurpees and i am so glad to be here in Dallas . Too bad Houston don't have any 7- Elevens and i wouldn't want to be there.
Your post seemed well thought out in a one-sided way. I see several things wrong with it though. I'm sorry for saying, but your post displayed a little ignorance (and i mean uninformed, the true definition of ignorance). Can you name a few restaurants that you noticed in Dallas that you can't find in Houston?

Quote:
I also like Dallas because of the variety of stores and restaurants that can't be found in Houston.
You're right about Dallas having more exclusive stores than Houston, there are also a few stores that Houston has that can't be found in Dallas.

Quote:
no light rail

Another display of ignorance. We know Houston's current light rail system is very limited and underpar but saying it has no light rail is blind to the existing one that runs from downtown through the museum district, TMC, and all the way to Relaint Football stadium.

Quote:
Even Austin and Atlanta both have an edge over Houston when it comes to great nightlife
Your claim about Austin and Atlanta having better nightlife than Houston may be true, but both of those cities beat out Dallas in that category too.

Quote:
entertainment districts. Houston is too bland and plan for a city its size
How is Houston any more bland than Dallas for a city of its size? Last time i checked, both cities are revitalizing their cores at a very strong pace. Houston slightly even beats Dallas out in revitalizing its CBD. How can you honestly say that Dallas has more entertainment districts when they're sprouting up all over the city in Houston? West Ave, Blvd Place, the existing Marqee Center, Kemah Boardwalk, Bayou Place, and Houston Pavilions? Downtown Houston has a House of Blues and a Lucky Strike Bowling Alley in the center of its downtown with an urban park. You're right about the amusement park claim but you've been only able to make that claim for 5 years and will only be able to make that claim for a couple of more years when Houston completes Earthquest adventures. After that, then what?

Quote:
there was a bad infrustructure to their city. Traffic signals hanging by wires, curbless streets, and lots of utility poles being seen all over Houston
Ok, i'll give you this one! Houston could stand to vastly improve on their infrastructure in the city.

Quote:
Houston to me is too much like a small town that has been coverted to a city
Last time i checked, Dallas has more of a small town city vibe than Houston. Houston has a much denser urban core and continues to get denser. Dallas may be ahead of Houston on urban developments, but Houston is catching up considerably with the light rail additions and the new urban housing going up inside of the city.

Quote:
Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville
Deep Ellum has been on a decline for years. While Dallas has Lower Greenville as a nightclub district, Houston also has Washington Avenue and what's left over of Main Street downtown.

Quote:
too country, and nothing to do
Houston is too country and Dallas isn't? Are you serious? I sure hope not. If you honestly couldn't find anything to do in Houston, then that means you weren't looking.

Quote:
I love 7 Eleven slurpees and i am so glad to be here in Dallas
I love 7 eleven too, but i'm willing to bet this was some of your criteria for entertainment.

I can tell that you didn't really try hard when you were in Houston. It was nice of you to try to cover up your snubs at Houston by saying its a great city, but you failed to list anything great about it. That's what gave you away. Nice try buddy.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 11-24-2010 at 02:39 PM..

Old 11-24-2010, 01:37 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
I wish I could transport Braums, Chicken Express, and 7/11's across the Houston area. Those are about the only food places that I wish Houston had. Agree with stoneclaw's post though.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:48 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
I do not like homerish one sided posts at all. That stuff drives me nuts.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I wish I could transport Braums, Chicken Express, and 7/11's across the Houston area. Those are about the only food places that I wish Houston had. .
Have you tried Williams Chicken up there? I always see them in the hood when i'm up that way and people say its a signature Chicken joint like Frenchys is in Houston.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:40 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
While I disagree with most of sedarwood's post. I will agree with this part:
Quote:
Houston is also like your typical East Texas bedroom community town with roadside gullies and no sidewalks.
This is what frustrates me about Houston. The lack of sidewalks is a big problem for me (though Dallas it's fair share of neighborhoods that do not have sidewalks). But Houston has the potential to build a vibrant street scape in residential areas with the new townhomes they are building.

Google Maps

Love the new urban homes. I think Houston has done a much better job than Dallas or any city in Texas on building urban homes. But then you look at how pedestrian friendly it is and the developer and/or city did not execute greatly at all. This could be so much better. Houston needs to come to this conclusions. It is no longer a nice quaint sleepy Southern town as much as people would like it to remain to be. Those days are over and if they want it, they might as well get use to things changing or move to Jasper. It is a metropolis that is going to get bigger and become more important in the global economy. Those neighborhoods with no sidewalks and gutters is nice...for Monroe, Louisiana. Not for a metropolis of 6 million people.

BTW, those maps on how Houston elects it's leaders is very very interesting and shows how liberal the city actually is or becoming. There is a similar map for Dallas and it shows the exact same result. Compare the 2008 presidential results and the 2010 governor results. A few red sections for 2008 switched to blue for 2010 and the inner loop is nearly all blue. In fact, nearly everything inside the beltway is nearly all blue.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:09 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
recently came back from fort worth, and while i'm sure fort worthians themselves are cool, i'm sure i could never live there

....i was impressed with how hilly the area was, there were a lot more trees than i expected, and it was also real cool to finally see the skyline up close, but outside of downtown was so plain and empty looking. finally getting to get a good look at the city, i couldn't believe this was the other half of the fourth largest metro in the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas