Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,349,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No it's not. Houston and Dallas have culture but compared to San Antonio it's deemed flavorless by many.
As I've always said, it depends on what type of culture you're talking about. San Antonio has the history, Fort Worth has the "agri-culture", and Austin has SXSW, but Houston is leagues ahead of any of these cities when it comes to the arts.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,338,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
As I've always said, it depends on what type of culture you're talking about. San Antonio has the history, Fort Worth has the "agri-culture", and Austin has SXSW, but Houston is leagues ahead of any of these cities when it comes to the arts.
History and tradition is a more authentic form of culture than modern art, in my opinion. Not trying to belittle Houston and places like MFAH, love than place, but art can be placed in any building, tradition and architecture cannot.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,274,956 times
Apparently folks outside of Texas think differently about Houston's 'culture.' And there's lots more like this i.e. Forbes, Money Magazine, etc...

Houston ranked a world must-see spot - Houston Chronicle

Old 07-02-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
History and tradition is a more authentic form of culture than modern art, in my opinion. Not trying to belittle Houston and places like MFAH, love than place, but art can be placed in any building, tradition and architecture cannot.
I know we've discussed this before, and Houston's art and culture goes much deeper than the museums and exhibits. People who really know the city recognize this.

What history and tradition are so unique to Austin? They capitalize on music that came from other places.

All this is about is cities marketing themselves better than Houston. That's ALL that this is about.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Apparently folks outside of Texas think differently about Houston's 'culture.' And there's lots more like this i.e. Forbes, Money Magazine, etc...

Houston ranked a world must-see spot - Houston Chronicle
From the article:

Quote:
What the vaunted New York paper chose to highlight in Houston are its efforts to become "the state's cultural and culinary capital."
Bingo.

People who say this town has little to no culture are absolutely clueless. Period.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:52 PM

6,702 posts, read 9,958,205 times
Why Dallas office market is set for ‘unprecedented’ growth

Quote:
CBRE's Phil Puckett has been in Dallas' commercial real estate business for quite some time -- about 33 years to be exact -- and he doesn't remember another time in his career that he's seen the industry so set up for unprecedented growth.
"There's so much going on right now," Puckett told the Dallas Business Journal. "We're going to be able to see things we've never seen as far as rental rates and expansion. It's coming, there's no question."
Part of that growing demand for office space in North Texas is tied to jobs and people making the move to North Texas. In the last 12 months ending in April, North Texas added 104,900 jobs.
That could bring another office development out of the ground such as Two Arts Plaza or Crescent's planned Uptown project, Puckett said.
"I don't see this stopping anytime soon," he told me. "In the next few years, we're going to see an in-migration from other states. We're excited as we've ever been in our careers."
The Dallas-Fort Worth market has absorbed 1 million square feet of office space year-to-date, said Sara Rutledge, CBRE's director of research and analysis.
The majority of that absorption is seen in Class B office space in Richardson, Las Colinas and Plano, Rutledge said. Even though demand for Class A office space stayed relatively flat, space in well-located areas with amenities, such as Uptown, Preston Center and the Legacy area, she said.
This proves tenants are not deterred by rising rents in amenity-rich locations, which have some of the most expensive real estate in North Texas, Rutledge said.
Puckett: Why Dallas' office market is set for ?unprecedented? growth (Video) - Dallas Business Journal

Hopefully, this will help spur new skyscraper developments in Uptown and Downtown Dallas.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:30 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,379,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Why Dallas office market is set for ‘unprecedented’ growth

Puckett: Why Dallas' office market is set for ?unprecedented? growth (Video) - Dallas Business Journal

Hopefully, this will help spur new skyscraper developments in Uptown and Downtown Dallas.
Still don't believe we'll see a new skyscraper in DT Dallas for awhile. There will be more of what's already happening, a lot of redevelopment and rehab projects to aid with absorbtion of existing space.

One hope would be, if AT&T decides to stay in DTD and builds a new corporate tower.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Still don't believe we'll see a new skyscraper in DT Dallas for awhile. There will be more of what's already happening, a lot of redevelopment and rehab projects to aid with absorbtion of existing space.

One hope would be, if AT&T decides to stay in DTD and builds a new corporate tower.
The Hall Arts Center is a office tower and it's going to start construction soon in Downtown.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,568,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
The Hall Arts Center is a office tower and it's going to start construction soon in Downtown.
lol, i love you Dallaz, but i could hardly call a 16 story building an "office tower". i dont see any major growth happening in downtown Dallas anytime soon given all the empty space they already have. like Scout said, a lot of it will probably be redevelopment of existing structures.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
lol, i love you Dallaz, but i could hardly call a 16 story building an "office tower". i dont see any major growth happening in downtown Dallas anytime soon given all the empty space they already have. like Scout said, a lot of it will probably be redevelopment of existing structures.
Well, we just have to wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas