Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 PM

6,698 posts, read 9,954,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
hahaha, yes just a little. ive been waiting for this announcement for months. hopefully AT&T decides to do that for Dallas. it would be neat to see a new addition to your skyline. is another boom coming? both cities are experiencing large influxes of people and are focusing more and more on their cores.
I don't see why not. AT&T has 4 buildings that make up their HQ, Whitacre Tower (One AT&T Plaza) being the tallest building. AT&T recently moved employees from out of state to their Downtown Campus, which puts the number of employees at 5,000.

Here's the AT&T campus on google maps.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=at%26...03433&t=h&z=19

Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
hahaha, yes just a little. ive been waiting for this announcement for months. hopefully AT&T decides to do that for Dallas. it would be neat to see a new addition to your skyline. is another boom coming? both cities are experiencing large influxes of people and are focusing more and more on their cores.

edit. oops just saw your comment in the Houston section asking not to rub it in, haha my bad.
I was jking.........

You can if you want cuz I would do the same thing.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:39 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,567,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I was jking.........

You can if you want cuz I would do the same thing.
haha nah im not going to rub it in too much, im just really excited. this is the biggest skyscraper development to happen in downtown Houston in like 30 years..

Hey Dallasboi... you always say Houstons skyline is so boring and brown/beige.. two of the older buildings you speak of are being renovated into shiny glass towers. one is almost complete Mickey Leland Federal Building (22 stories) and then there is the old ExxonMobil building (800 Bell - 44 stories).

before (MLFB)

after

before (EMB)

after

Old 07-03-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Hey Dallasboi... you always say Houstons skyline is so boring and brown/beige.. two of the older buildings you speak of are being renovated into shiny glass towers. one is almost complete Mickey Leland Federal Building (22 stories) and then there is the old ExxonMobil building (800 Bell - 44 stories).

before (MLFB)

after

before (EMB)

after

So, they are going to ruin a mid century modern building. One thing I like to see in skylines is the progression of architecture though the years. Once they change the facade you wouldn't even know that skyscraper was built in the 60s.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:51 PM

686 posts, read 1,168,369 times
Don't forget the other Hines 41 story Tower that's going to be built by 2016.

Hines touts new skyscraper in downtown Houston - CultureMap Houston

Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,880 times
Houston's for sure. Very nice skyline. Buildings are much taller than they look in pictures, and unique while still being beautiful.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 PM

Good news

No, the Renovated Bell St. ExxonMobil Building Is Not Gonna Look Like This » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape

Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
So, they are going to ruin a mid century modern building. One thing I like to see in skylines is the progression of architecture though the years. Once they change the facade you wouldn't even know that skyscraper was built in the 60s.
thats kind of the point. a shame? maybe, after all it was the tallest building west of the mississippi when it was build and was an icon in its day.
there is a lot of fuss about it on HAIF, but honestly as another poster wrote, it reminds me of a stack of razor blades.. i never cared for it too much and happen to like the new design much better.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
thats kind of the point. a shame? maybe, after all it was the tallest building west of the mississippi when it was build and was an icon in its day.
there is a lot of fuss about it on HAIF, but honestly as another poster wrote, it reminds me of a stack of razor blades.. i never cared for it too much and happen to like the new design much better.
Read the article above^^

Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Read the article above^^
Noooooooo... Thanks for raining on my parade Dallaz.. Looks like I'm just going to have to talk about that new 50 story tower some more..

On the real though, I welcome the renovations to the exxonmobil building and look forward to seeing what the winning firm comes up with. If that design didnt win it, one would hope the winner would be an even better design?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas